Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

catapult for spad or gremlin

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

catapult for spad or gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 01:06 AM
coro kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catapult for spad or gremlin

HI COMBAT FRIENDS

I`M NEW TO COMBAT BUT I`M LOOKING FOR SOME PLANS FOR A SMALL CATAPULT.SOMETHING THAT WILL FIT IN SMALL TRUCK.AND LANCH SPADS AND GREMLINS WELL OR A GOOD IDEA FOR ONE.

THANKS
CORO KID
Old 10-16-2002, 07:27 PM
Brent Bills

Default launching Gremlin

My Gremlins have coarse (60 - 80) grit self-adhevsive sandpaper, approx. 1" x 2" stuck on the side of the fuselage in the area of the leading edge of the wing. This allows your right hand fingers to easily grip the fuse., and all it needs is a gentle push-out with the engine screaming, transmitter in the left hand, to be flying. Try it.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:17 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Normally you only need a catapult when flying scale. I've never seen anyone catapult an open plane yet.

I've been looking for real plans for a catapult for a while. There are lots of so-called "plans" at http://www.rccombat.com for catapults, but all they are, are vague descriptions and grainy pictures. I've also found sites on the web with "plans" for catapults, but again, just vague descriptions and grainy pictures. No drawings, measurements, etc. to work from . Apparently these catapults give you a major competitive edge, so the designs are kept sooper sekrit.

Frankly, I don't see what difference the first split-second of the flight makes to your competitive edge. I had a friend hand-launch my scale plane, and I beat a guy with a catapult last time out. Another hand-launcher came in second, and the first-place pilot's catapult shot his plane in every direction but toward the combat area

I'm designing my own catapult. The plan is to make it out of inexpensive PVC pipe, a folding banquet table leg, and a piece hi-start elastic. It's still in the plans stage right now. I have no measurements and no guarantee that it will even work, so I guess my design enters the realm of sooper sekresy, at least for now.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:44 AM
dragon192

Default What's a Catapault?

A Gremlin with a OS .25FX will pull itself out of your hands. No need for a Cat. Just give it a slight flick, and it is gone.

Cut you later,
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	31897_5053.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	2060  
Old 10-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Like I said, catapults are used almost exclusively in scale, if they're used at all. My scale plane flies with a gentle underhanded toss.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:49 PM
MontanaAdam
My Feedback: (2)

Default My Catapult

Well... I've almost finished my PVC catapult... should be done in the next day or two.

Why am I building one? 'Cuz I can!

If you'd like... I'd be happy to send you pictures and measurements, etc. after it's complete. I just like the idea of stepping on a pedal and getting airborn. I live in the country and fly on my property by myself a lot... so what the heck?

e-mail me at:

[email protected]
www.globaldigitalproductions.net

Regards,

Adam
Old 10-24-2002, 01:45 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Best catapult that I have found is a MVVS .21!!!

It launches a Gremlin near vertical!!!

Regards,

Jeff