Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

FLORIDA COMBAT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

FLORIDA COMBAT

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
grasshopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLORIDA COMBAT

Hello to all those out there interested in seeing more sanctioned combat activity in our home state of Florida. Here's a thread for discussing what you are doing in your area.

Are you into combat but don't know who else is, where they are, and what's going on? Would you like to get connected to others in the state and see more activity we can all enjoy? Post here and let's get things rolling! I'm tired of driving ten hours to find the next nearest contest!

Club combat, fly your own rules, streamer chasing for fun, fling what ya bring, etc. is okay, but if you want others to come to town and grow the sport, consider adopting one of the classes that are widely accepted and flown elsewhere.

The current AMA classes include Open A (.15), Open B (.25) size, and Scale 2610 to name a few. The RCCA (RC Combat Association) has been experimenting with and enjoying great success with provisional classes like SSC (Slow Survivable Combat), Limited B, and Scale 2548 which are also sanctioned classes.

The key seems to be in selecting a class(s) that has local support, build for it, start flying it informally for your homies to see, and set a date for an official contest. When you post the event on this and other forums, like the RCCA site [link]http://www.rccombat.com/index.asp[/link] you can then track interest from out side your area and get ready to rumble!

For those interested in charting their scores throughout the year and seeing where they stack up alongside the nation's other combat enthusiasts with the NPS (National Points System), I invite you to join the RCCA, and also enjoy the other member privaleges that come with membership. This 'aint no commercial, I don't really care if you have no interest in belonging to any particular organization, and besides it will cost you a whopping $15 last time I checked, but they're a pretty good bunch of combat crazies once you get to know them!

We've got some activity on the east cost in the West Palm Beach area hosted by the RC Bushpilots, [link]http://www.rcbushpilots.com/[/link] Who hosted a contest in April and are set to have another two day event in a few weeks, Sept.9,10 for Open B and Scale 2610.

Also the Gold Coast RC club in Boca [link]http://www.goldcoastrc.com/[/link] hosted a contest last Dec. (SSC), and is scheduled for another this Dec. 9, (Open B).

Go to the links for both clubs and check out the event photos and info about the upcoming contests.

There's really not that much to having a contest for those who think it's too much trouble. All you need is someone with a CD rating on his AMA, fill out a little paperwork, (which you can save on your computer to make it even easier next time), for a sanction, and send in the follow up paperwork to the AMA afterward.

The RCCA site has all the download forms you need for scoring, contest package, CD guide, etc. as well as software to generate a matrix and info galore on the forums.

LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

Old 08-16-2006, 03:21 PM
rrh

Default RE: FLORIDA COMBAT

And in addition to all of that, you get your victory pictures taken in cool poses

Party on Chris!!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
grasshopper

Okay Randy, that's enough grasshopper bashing, don't make me pull out that picture of you picking your nose!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97363.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	508683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95785.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	508684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18369.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	508685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94164.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	508686  
Old 08-17-2006, 01:41 PM
rrh

Old 09-04-2006, 05:52 PM
cccdad

I've seen that pose before.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:04 AM
grasshopper

BUSHWHACKED '06 is in the record books. Thanks to all who came to compete and observe. Go to the event report section of RCU for more pics and info.

For any other streamer chasers with a pulse in FLORIDA, next event in the area is the "BATTLE for BOCA" 12/9/06.

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

Here's the link to the club site for many more event photos. [link]http://www.rcbushpilots.com/[/link]

Name:	Yw69206.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	523801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16531.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	523802  
Old 09-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Capn America
My Feedback: (3)

I never new there was an event report section in RCU! learn something new every day.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
grasshopper

There's also an events calendar to post contests on. You get them both from a convenient button on the home page called strangely enough, "Events and reports"! There's so much stuff out there that no one has time to look for, I think we need to publish our contest and followup info on all these resources and then give readers easy links to the spot it is located if we expect very many to see it.

Once they visit that area of a site they know where to look next time. Different sites also have different capabilities and allows the upload of info to have a fresh look from the others. It's so easy to post this stuff, we are really missing the boat not to use every opportunity at our disposal.

I also e-mailed the editor of Model Aviation with a link to the report here and asked him to forward it to Greg Rose, the combat columnist. Next I'll see if i can get any press from other mags. Scale fighters are good for catching interest and make for good combat eye candy. Maybe all they are waiting for is us to speak up at the right time and in the right way. Time to think outside the box a bit.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Capn America
My Feedback: (3)

Agreed. Im guilty of setting my favorite list to skip hom pages and never looking there again.

I will e-mail you copies of my ongoing correspondence with MA staff so you can follow a simular path if you like.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:41 PM
cccdad

Grasshopper (Chris) put on a great event in West Palm. What is notable about the scale entrants photo is if you look there were 3 GP ARFs flown in this contest. Balsa may not make the most durable combat entrant , but they fly well and will get your foot in the door. I had a blast and finished 3rd. Thanks for the great time.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 AM
grasshopper

ATTENTION FLORIDA COMBAT PILOTS!

ONLY TWO MONTHS LEFT TO GET READY FOR THE 2ND ANNUAL

BATTLE FOR BOCA '07 COMBAT CONTEST

For club and contest information go to [link]http://www.goldcoastrc.com/[/link]

To sign up go to [link]http://www.rccombat.com/index.asp[/link]

Here's the crew from last year's SSC contest. This year will is OPEN B so get your game on and come on down!

Name:	Tr51093.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	536031  
Old 10-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Geebeefanatic
My Feedback: (2)

GOOD TO SEE THINGS ARE GOING WELL CHRIS. Sorry I couldn't make your contest. Planning on having an Open B contest on the Sun following Thanksgiving at the field in Sharpes. Reg. around 8:30 Flying 9:30 Will post more info and directions soon.[8D] Hope to see you and the gang there.Thanks, Curtis
Old 10-09-2006, 10:00 AM
grasshopper

Hey Curtis, good to see you back on the radar. About the contest you're planning, did you notice what is already scheduled on 11/25 in GA. the Wild Turkey Rumble? And the contest in Boca is on 12/9, only two weeks later. So what is the date you mean by Sun. following Thanksgiving? 11/26? Sorry I'll still be recovering from the day before in Ga! Unless I can limp back overnight and still make your contest the very next day before I come all the way home to WPB.

If I still have planes, I'm just crazy enough to do it, but this is pretty short notice and right on top of two events that have been scheduled for some time.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Geebeefanatic

Was trying to schedule a points contest before the end of the year. But it lokes like there is plenty going on. Would a Jan. event work better.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:43 AM
grasshopper

Jan is okay for me, and will give you more time to post the event and get sign ups. Nothing saying you can't pull off a points contest this year however, and I'll make every effort to come even if it's the day after the contest in GA. How many others do you expect?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Geebeefanatic

I don't expect to many and it looks like everyone from Fl. is heading up to Ga. event. I will probably change the event to a late Jan. Event. I would like to have 2 or three at our field as The club isn't that big and they don't mind us using the field. We need to see if we can plan a nice contest schedule with the other clubs that do combat and maybe get six or 8 contests for the year. I would like to get setup again for more than 2 contests. I have to buy new equipment. What do you feel flys competitive now. I would like to go to Ga. contest just need to get ready.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:36 AM
grasshopper

Curtis,

There's not much usually happening in Jan. so a contest then shouldn't overlap any others. Even though you're north of me, it's still in Florida so has a decent chance of mild enough temp and wind to pull off a Jan contest, but conditions might be challenging. If you pick a date and get your sanction ap. in now the listing in MA might publish before the contest. I presume you're going Open B class?

When it comes to non scale, I'm a Seaholm Avenger man. Both Open B and SSC. Lanier Slasher is a decent Open B kit also. I've seen guys fly the crap out of designs like the Skull Bandit, and Go-Devil, as well as flat bat home built stuff.

Scale stuff; for 2610- Bob Wallace Ki-64 and Ta-152, scratch built F-82. 2548- Wallace Ta-152, Hattrick Zero, scratch built F-82.

As for the Wild Turkey Rumble next month, I'll probably be going up solo, you're welcome to ride with me if you can handle my drive all night and fly when I get there schedule. I leave WPB at 10:00 pm 11/24 to get there at 8:00am next day. As passenger you will have the option to sleep on the way, the seat reclines, bring a pillow.

I'm also going up to Ga. for an SSC contest this month, 10/21, at the hilltop club if you have any .15 size gear. You're welcome to come with, same drill. How far from 95 or turnpike are you?

You noticed the Open B contest we're having in Boca on 12/9 right? Hope you can make that one and bring a friend! I'm CDing 3 contests down here and 6-8 per year in Fla. would be great! I hope you can get established as a combat club again. If Slam and Drewjet ever quit sitting on their hands maybe an Orlando contest will happen.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Geebeefanatic

Thanks for the info. I still have one Skull Bandit but was looking at the Avenger also. Think I am going to gear up for the 12/9 contest in Boca. Thanks for the offer on the ride I live about 1/4 of a mile from 95 and would like to make the GA. events next year. Car pooling would be great. I'm looking forward to getting back into combat, Really missed it. I am clicking over to Avenger site now to order planes. Thanks again Chris. Talk to you soon.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:41 AM
grasshopper

[color=#FF00CC]FLORIDA COMBAT CONTEST; THE WILD TURKEY RUMBLE!

OPEN B CLASS, LOCATION; Spacecoast Sports Complex. 660 Canaveral Groves Blvd. Sharpes, Fl., 32926 DATE; Sunday 11/26/06. Time; Registration 9:00 am Start Combat 10:00 am. Entry fee $20. Trophies 1st - 3rd. AMA/RCCA Rules apply.

Map link [link]http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=660%20Canaveral%20Groves%20Blvd&city=Cocoa&state=FL&zipcode=32926%2d4619&country=US&geodiff=1[/link]

Okay all you florida and Georgia combat pilots, get ready to rumble! This one is located centrally in the state so take advantage of the opportunity. There's only one more contest in Fl. this year which will be in Boca Raton for Open B on 12/9/06.

CD; Curtis Switzer, (321)684-3095. [email protected].
or contact Chris Handegard (561)723-2440 [email protected]

LET'S SEE WHAT YOU'VE GOT!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM
grasshopper

BUSHWHACKED '07 SPRING FLING IS SCHEDULED FOR APRIL 21,22

CHECK CONTEST LISTING ON THIS SITE AND AT WWW.RCCOMBAT.COM TO SIGN UP

Old 03-09-2007, 09:18 AM
grasshopper

BUSHWHACKED '07 "SPRING FLING" is coming!

Only 6 weeks left, ARE YOU READY?

One day of Open B Combat and one day of 2548 Scale Combat. There are very few contests in Florida these days so don't let this one pass you by! All you guys who talk big, here's your chance to suit up and show up!

Here's my Twin Mustang from scratch CNC foam cutting first attempt.

Here's the link to the contest listing for Bushwhacked on this site.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/event.cfm?eventid=2313&begin=90&end=06/07/2007&cobrand=1[/link]

Here's the link to the contest sign up on the RCCA site.

[link]http://www.rccombat.com/events/event_Details.asp?idEvent=520[/link]

Name:	Nl30988.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	638469  
Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Chris did you cut the fuse with your foam cutter?

Scott
Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 AM
grasshopper

Scott, the whole plane is blue foam cut with cnc hot wire. Tail group is coro. Test flew it this past weekend, very happy with results of first prototype. Will produce kit after refining design as time permits.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 AM
grasshopper

FLORIDA COMBAT PILOTS-

THIS YOUR WAKE UP CALL!

If you live in the state of Florida or any neighboring state and presume to call yourself a COMBAT PILOT, the RC Bushpilots are hosting their 2nd annual fall contest on 8/8/07, 8/9/07 for OPEN B and Scale 2548.

The event is little more than a month away, and only 9 sign ups on line so far, [link]http://www.rccombat.com/events/event_Details.asp?idEvent=574[/link] how pathetic! For a state with all this RC activity and practically 365 good weather days a year to fly, it's a pretty sorry turnout! Come on ladies, sign up, suit up, and show up! Pull up your drawers and show us what you've got!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:26 PM
grasshopper

FLORIDA COMBAT CONTEST; THE WILD TURKEY RUMBLE!

OPEN B CLASS, LOCATION; Spacecoast Sports Complex. 660 Canaveral Groves Blvd. Sharpes, Fl., 32926 DATE; Sunday 11/11/07. Time; Registration 8:30 am Start Combat 9:30 am. Entry fee $20. Trophies 1st - 3rd. AMA/RCCA Rules apply.

Map link http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...y=US&geodiff=1

Okay all you florida and Georgia combat pilots, get ready to rumble! This one is located centrally in the state so take advantage of the opportunity. There's only one more contest in Fl. this year which will be in Boca Raton for Open B on 12/8/07.

CD; Curtis Switzer, (321)684-3095. [email protected].
or contact Chris Handegard (561)723-2440 [email protected]

LET'S SEE WHAT YOU'VE GOT!