Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Jka Questions?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Jka Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Ace Bogie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jka Questions?

i was thinking of getting a p-47 or the MIG 3....and i was wondering what do you guys think of the jka kits
- are they any good
- how do they fly
- how long does it take to put to gather

i have herd that they are really good planes.so i thought i sshould check them out.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Demon

Default Jka Questions?

You won't be disapointed with the P-47. But, be sure to put a strong .25 in the nose (it needs it).

For all sorts of info on JK Aerotech planes, just type JKA into the search window at the top-right of this page. Be prepared to do a LOT of reading.

D
Old 03-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Ace Bogie

Default Jka Questions?

thanks Demon
Old 03-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Big Sasquatch

Default Jka Questions?

On a side note, I see that they have put their new TA-152 on the Web. Time to place an order!

I can say from my experience with them so far is that they are the best thing going for scale combat. I think they are really fun to build as well. There is tons of room for customizing......and detailing.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Ace Bogie

Default Jka Questions?

thanks
I think I just might get one or two.
because every thing i have herd about these kits is all good
only thing is that they are American....and i am a Canadian............
i have to dish out more money to the government errrrrrrr
Old 03-10-2003, 10:20 PM
verald_stevens
My Feedback: (11)

Default Jka Questions?

I would second everything good that's been said about them. I have the Corsair and it flys surperbly. Our club uses them for scale combat - we have mig's, fw 190's, zero's a corsair and a p-47. The all fly great and can be built in a couple nights.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:52 PM
stdun

Default Jka Questions?

Is there a website for JKA planes, to see the models and order one?
Old 03-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Mark V

Default Jka Questions?

http://www.jkaerotech.com/

They also have the best information on building foamies on the web.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Ace Bogie

Default Jka Questions?

they really do have nice instructions on their planes :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Brian Nixon

Default Jka Questions?

I've got the Mustang here, along with the Mig-3. Great flyers. I'm thinking about ordering a B model Mustang kit. Have to build up the 2610 fleet!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	63147_7253.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	38112  
Old 03-15-2003, 10:13 PM
robb_h
My Feedback: (1)

Default Jka Questions?

My club ordered a bunch of airplanes at one time, and my Mig 3 came out to only $35, which already included shipping. We ordered them just before Christmas, and a couple got lost in the mail. They were really good about replacing them, and said they would much rather have happy customers, than quabble over the issue.

They have a really fun website, and you can spend hours there.

I can't wait to start my Mig 3.

Regards,

Robb
Old 03-16-2003, 04:22 AM
jester1a

Default Jka Questions?

Mig3 Hmmm. I have one with a Norvel in it-- can you say pocket rocket? Very nice plane and FAST!

JESTER
Old 03-16-2003, 09:32 AM
robb_h

Default Jka Questions?

Jester,

I just bought an O.S. .25 FX for my Mig 3. Is the Norvel finicky like they say? I have a Norvel .061 R/C, but haven't run it yet.

This is my club's first year at combat, and 8 or so guys with flying skills across the board are involved. It should be interesting.

Robb
Old 03-16-2003, 12:41 PM
davisw
My Feedback: (3)

Default Jka Questions?

Robb,

There is plenty of combat meets this year in the Virginia and Maryland area. Our members travel quite a lot but this year there is plenty of action for folks to stay local. If you are up for a little travel I would recommend you travel to one of our events either in Manassas VA or Freestate MA. In Manassas we are hosting the Mid-Atlantic Championships in August for 2 days and should attract lots of pilots. Anyone is welcome. Go to www.midatlanticcombat.com for schedule and more details. I know some of us will be travelling to PA for some events this year as well. More the merrier!

Bill Davis
Manassas VA
Old 03-16-2003, 02:06 PM
robb_h

Default Jka Questions?

Bill,

Thanks for the invite to the meets. Where are the ones in PA? I live in the northwest corner, about 60 miles southeast of Erie.

This year is going to be a learning curve for me, as I've never flown combat. Actually, I've never ever seen it in person. There are so few guys in my club trying it, that I'm afraid it will just be a "passing fancy" once all of the planes are incapacitated. Looks like I might have to travel a little ways to really see some action.

I'm not at all intimidated by the small combat planes, as I've flown fast little Shrikes, Sig Wonders, deltas, and 1/2A. However, I don't know anything about the strategy involved. I do know it is easier to go after something when it is heading away from you, as you can judge up-and-down and left-and-right much easier. I'm a rather aggressive flyer, so I guess that helps.

Robb
Old 03-16-2003, 08:28 PM
jester1a

Default Jka Questions?

Robb,
I don't think the Norvel is that finicky if you tune it just a little bit conservatively. If you want it on the hairy edge, you are going to have problems just like any other engine. I am running 4 and have been having very good luck. One plus is the weight- it's alot lighter than either the OSFX or the Irvine-- matter of fact, I had to add nose weight on my Mig3 to balance it.

JESTER
Old 03-17-2003, 12:31 PM
davisw
My Feedback: (3)

Default Jka Questions?

Robb,

The meets in PA I am talking about are located on the opposite end of the state from you in the Endless Mountain Region just East of the I80 and I81 intersection. The event is listed on the RCCA website at www.rccombat.com and go to Combat Schedule.

Good luck on the combat. You'll find it is easy and a lot of fun. Takes practice on the intercepts with throttle management but it will come with time. Again you are more than welcome down here but I know PA since I'm from there and there is no easy road option for you to get down this way. There are also some meets on the schedule for NY which may be easier since you have access to I-90. Syracuse and Endicott both have meets on the calendar.

Good luck

Bill Davis
Manassas VA
Old 03-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Montague

Default Jka Questions?

Robb,

Send me your club's info, and I'll include you guys on the MidAtlanticCombat.com website. Even if it is a bit of a long drive, you never know who might show up.

Also, I'd appricate it if you'd pass on the website to the folks in your club. Again, you're a bit far away for most, but not that that far. I did a couple of contests last year where I got up early and drove a bit over 4hrs to get there, flew, then drove back. And I'll do it again some this year.

PA is such a large state with a ton of RC clubs, I always wondered why there wasn't more combat out there. Glad to hear it's getting started out your way. The more widly this kind of thing gets promoted, the more likely it is to not just be a passing fad.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:10 AM
robb_h

Default Jka Questions?

Jester,

I'll have to try a .25 Norvel. I usually have good luck getting engines to run correctly, and I don't think I've ever had a lemon. I've had good luck with Cox engines, and most people say they are more finicky than the Norvel's. I wish Norvel made a .020. I refuse to pay over $100 for a discontinued Cox tee dee .020!!

Bill,

Thanks for the invite.

You're right, there is no easy way for me to get from my corner of the state, to the opposite corner! I'm one of the only single guys in my club, so I'm able to travel whenever and wherever I want. A five hour drive is nothing for me. Our club does go to the scale meet in Olean, NY every year.

Robb
Old 03-25-2003, 03:23 AM
LoneRanger

Default Jka Questions?

JKA planes are realy great, just be prepared to be covered with lots of foam dust!

they fly great and are quick and darn near bullet proof-

carbon fibre arrows make great wing spars-

L.R.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:47 AM
Mark V

Default Where are thes Pa. Contests?

I went to ktoe contest calendar at the RCCA site and couldn't find any contests in Pa. I sure wish there was one or two.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Montague

Default Jka Questions?

Mark,

Where are you in PA? Your profile says you are in NH?

Check out www.MidAtlanticCombat.com

It's a small website I run to promote combat in the Mid-Atlantic region. There is one contest in PA that I'm certain of, and the second one mentioned by Robb_h higher up in this thread. There are a few contests not that far from the boarder with PA, though it depends on where exactly you are, and how far you are willing to drive.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:40 PM
Mark V

Default Jka Questions?

Mont,
I'm moving to NJ from NH. Pa. contests are looking very attractive.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:47 AM
jester1a

Default Jka Questions?

Mark,
Just remember that PA is a LARGE state- Virginia is probably closer than the western part of the state.

JESTER
Old 03-26-2003, 01:48 AM
robb_h

Default Jka Questions?

I "just" got back from our club meeting. The one guy asked when we were going to have our contest, and the other guy said, "when we get two planes built"!

I bought the fuel tank, engine mount, and goop for my Mig 3 today. I'm putting an O.S. .25 FX in it. I just bought a K&B .18, and will probably build a Mustang for it, since it's one of JKA's smaller planes.

I live in the northwest corner of PA, near Erie. You're right about PA being a big state. It's not very easy to get from one corner to the other. Half of the battle is getting to an interstate.

Robb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.