Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Preditor Modifications?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Preditor Modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 08:47 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preditor Modifications?

Thanks Greg. Of course, those pics were taken soon after I finished building and covering. But even after 100 or so flights, including multiple high-speed dirtnaps, it didn't look much different when I sold it!

-Tom
Old 04-17-2002, 02:28 AM
GaryV
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

After reading this thread I have been convinced that you can't go wrong with a predator. This will be my first combat plane.
I have never even seen a combat event. I became interested after reading a artice in Model Airplane News a couple months ago.
I had hoped to get it finished for a contest on 4/28/02 in northern
VA. However I just realized as I was typing this that it is a class "A" event and I won't be legal to fly in it.
I guess I will have time to get used to the plane since the next class "B"event in I see listed in VA is on 7/20/02.

Anyway I have a Norvel .25BB for it,
Hitec 85MG - throttle
Hitec 225MG - elevons
ordered 4 and 6 oz. tanks, havent decided yet
ultracote covering
Old 04-17-2002, 04:48 AM
shmo46

Hi Gary V,

Just about everything else in my shop has been gathering dust. You will love it.

Too bad the weekend is 3 days away.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:45 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary V: You will love the Predator--flies great. Our club, the HAWKS near Cincinnati is having an Open B event on May 4--all pilots are welcome.

Have any of you Predator fans seen the new design our buddies at Tufflight are working on? It's called the Predator X. 72" wingspan--WOW!!! I can't waite.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:01 PM
wildthng

Our club president and evening hobby shop owner ordered 6 of these for the club because we want to try combat and we are using 225s for servos.2 are built right now and they fly great.They are built by the book and there owners are impressed.I entered a slow fly p 51 arf in a combat last year and have been telling our members they have to try this.At our last meeting we picked the40 size prediters out of a magizine to be our 1st combat planes because they are soposed to be tough and we all oun a 40.Man they are even fast when the engine quits.Gota get mine done soon also.This combat flying adds a whole new dimention to the sport for me.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:47 AM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yup, I got one of these with a Norvel 25 on it. Love to fly it, plenty fun. I can't cut NOTHING with it though. It's just me, but dang it, no joy whenever I fly it in combat.

No bother though, it's still plenty fun for a sport plane.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:58 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Predators Can't Make Cuts????

Originally posted by Clean
Yup, I got one of these with a Norvel 25 on it. Love to fly it, plenty fun. I can't cut NOTHING with it though.
Hmmmmm........I don't recall having any problems scoring cuts at the 2001 Misery In Missouri contest with my Predator....especially after AJ loaned me some 3M77. In fact, I'm pretty sure that one of those four streamers shown in this photo belonged to you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8872_1463.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	3591  
Old 04-19-2002, 11:21 AM
Clean

Yeah, it's just me.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:10 AM
TT2

Gee Dave, that is BRUTAL! I'm glad I couldn't make it to the meet last year!

Clean, are there any events coming up in KC? My club (Cameron) is just starting to have organized combat twice a month...finally.

-Tom
Old 04-21-2002, 01:35 PM
Clean

There is a round robin event that just started yesterday [ I missed yesterday myself ] June 22 is combat at the dambusters field, I don't know where the may combat will be, but I'm gonna be really busy, or not, in may with other airplane events.

Here's the address of the RCFS squadrons homepage where most of the round robin talk is http://pub59.ezboard.com/brcsfmessageboard. Don't think we'd mind driving up to cameron to play, maybe you could sponser May's?
Old 04-25-2002, 02:21 PM
TT2

The Cameron field is perfect for combat...except that on the North end of the runway there is an electric fence...on the other side of the fence there are BUFFALO! Big and Mean! Not a big deal though, they pretty much stay hidden. Other than that, the field is absolutely wide open and flat. The only trees to speak of are roughly 1000' from all directions of the runway. Behind the pits there are power lines, but you shouldn't be flying back there anyway. I will contact the clubs' grand poobah and see if we can make it happen for May. It would be a fantastic way to accelerate interest in combat.

How 'formal' are the round-robins? I mean...does there need to be an official CD? What about keeping score and supplying streamers? Entry Fees, Rules, classes, etc.?

-Tom
Old 05-06-2002, 12:53 AM
Skarabb-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Preditor and I run a Norvel 25 on it. Awesome!!! I coverd it in ultra cote. The goop is very durable stuff and it gives so that it is more flexible. Lightening holes would just make it weaker.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:01 AM
Clean

Tom, I forwarded your email to Sheepy. I don't see why we couldn't have one of the round robin events up there. This is the website of the barnstormers http://pub59.ezboard.com/brcsfmessageboard go to their combat page and tell them who, where and when you wanna little grabbutt to go on.