Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Reasons you might not fly combat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Can't build a kit.
1.98%
"Too much damage!"
10.89%
Too expensive.
7.92%
No one to fly combat with.
39.60%
Don't want to have to travel to contests.
11.88%
Doesn't look interesting.
2.97%
It looks too hard!
3.96%
Couldn't find much information about combat.
7.92%
Just don't know where to start!!
12.87%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reasons you might not fly combat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 AM
sgilkey
My Feedback: (180)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reasons you might not fly combat?

combatpig, your personal experience may vary, of course, but I hate for folks who are considering combat, and especially SSC, to think that they are going to ruin engines left and right when they crash. My sons and I have been participating in SSC combat since it was started, we've flown hundreds of heats of competition not to mention practice/fun, and we've never ruined a single engine. Sure we've broken off the occasional needle valve or had a muffler sheared off in a midair, but i could count all those incidents on two hands (OK, maybe add one foot....). Never "ruined" an engine, bent a crank, or otherwise (oh, I have bent two rods due to my own stupidity- hydrolocking and electric starter are not a good mix). I certainly don't want folks to think that SSC or any other class of combat results in a lot of broken engines. I've seen broken engines due to engine-to-engine midairs, or impacts with asphalt or exceptionally hard ground, but this is very unusual. Most times, we pluck the plane out of the hole it's made in the earth, spray it off with carb or brake cleaner, and fly it again. These things take a remakable amount of abuse and keep flying!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: sgilkey

combatpig, your personal experience may vary, of course, but I hate for folks who are considering combat, and especially SSC, to think that they are going to ruin engines left and right when they crash. My sons and I have been participating in SSC combat since it was started, we've flown hundreds of heats of competition not to mention practice/fun, and we've never ruined a single engine. Sure we've broken off the occasional needle valve or had a muffler sheared off in a midair, but i could count all those incidents on two hands (OK, maybe add one foot....). Never "ruined" an engine, bent a crank, or otherwise (oh, I have bent two rods due to my own stupidity- hydrolocking and electric starter are not a good mix). I certainly don't want folks to think that SSC or any other class of combat results in a lot of broken engines. I've seen broken engines due to engine-to-engine midairs, or impacts with asphalt or exceptionally hard ground, but this is very unusual. Most times, we pluck the plane out of the hole it's made in the earth, spray it off with carb or brake cleaner, and fly it again. These things take a remakable amount of abuse and keep flying!
I agree with Scott. Hundreds of rounds, dozens of dirt naps, seldom a problem with engine damage. In fact, the gumbo mud here in Texas is an excellent honeing compound for the perfect piston/sleeve fit!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 AM
RaceCraftRC

it looks super fun but i have know else here with interst
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Alex Treneff

Scott is exactly right. Check this out. Jimmy got knocked down in a mid-air and buried the engine. The rubber bands snapped, but the engine is fine. A dozen rubber bands ($.10??) and he was ready to go again!

ORIGINAL: AvoidingExpert

it looks super fun but i have know else here with interst
AvoidingExpert, that's usually how it goes. Before 2003 we didn't have anyone else here with interest either. My dad and I were the only ones. By letting other guys try our planes to see that combat planes actually are easy to fly, telling them how much fun the were missing, and egging them on, we got a couple guys into it, and then it grew from there. Start with one guy. If you can get one, others will get excitied when they watch and then want to join in.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Tbone4life

Alex, you need to add :It's too cold outside. in the reasons, for the guys I fly with. Uh I wont say any names. They know who they are.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Tbone4life

On another note, It's not that bad repairing these planes either. Here's a SPAD Bat that went head on with GPB a few weeks ago[X(]. Glued it back with Gorilla glue (like a puzzle) then sanded it all smooth and glued a sister peice of spar along the broken part then recovered it with left over monocote, I dont usually use monocote on my combat planes for this reason. Packing tape is easier and much cheaper.

I should have taken pics of the repair along the way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34800.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	857024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20595.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	857025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66643.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	857026  
Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no doubt that you are going to have to repair your planes. Repair is much less effort than normal R/C plane. I am continually amazed by what my planes take for damage when they hit the ground. We have the pleasure of flying over sandy ground that is soft. Plus the last two years, sweet potatoes have been planted and the farmer tills deep, soft furrows into the ground. Most of my damage is from mid air collisions. I can generally have the worst damage repaired with a couple hours of effort. I find it enjoyable to experiment with different building techniques trying to increase survivability. We fly tons of combat, nearly every weekend, and lose a few wings but no one has got out because they can't take the carnage.

Scott

[link=http://www.fayettevillercclub.com]www.fayettevillercclub.com[/link]
Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 PM
iflyrc1012

HEY T-BONE. . .
i thought the pic on your posts was a foward swept-wing combat wombat!!! LOL!!
turns out to be a repair waiting to be done!!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Tbone4life

Yea its kinda hard to tell on this forum because of the size restrictions of the avitar. It's easier to see whats whats when the pic is full size.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 PM
iflyrc1012

i would love to fly combat but nobody in n.y.c. or the surrounding areas seems to have the urge to turn an burn. in my club it is actively discouraged as dangerous and reflecting badly on the hobby.. if theres anyone out there who flys combat in or around n.y.c. i'd sure like to get in on it!!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Tbone4life

It was a pretty easy repair,like puzzle pieces and gorilla glue, then sand and recover.