Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Reasons you might not fly combat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Can't build a kit.
1.98%
"Too much damage!"
10.89%
Too expensive.
7.92%
No one to fly combat with.
39.60%
Don't want to have to travel to contests.
11.88%
Doesn't look interesting.
2.97%
It looks too hard!
3.96%
Couldn't find much information about combat.
7.92%
Just don't know where to start!!
12.87%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reasons you might not fly combat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Alex Treneff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasons you might not fly combat?

There are a lot of visitors here, but some of them don't end up flying combat. I think a lot of that is because we (the guys already flying combat) don't do a great job of comunicating information to the new guys unless someone asks us a direct question about a specific thing.

So, if you're reading this and aren't sure if you're going to fly combat or are going to pass, why so? Once we know why some guys aren't combatting, we can do a better job of helping the new guys and explaining what it's all about, or discussing perceptions guys might have about combat.

So, I've made a list of some reasons guys might not fly. If you are one of the guys that might pass on the most exciting five minutes in R/C, why?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:32 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Reasons you might not fly combat?

Too much damage
Don't want to travel
Not a good enough pilot

We've had flyers in our club who talked about 'combat' at every club meeting. None of them ever took the time to actually organize anything. The club officers attempted to organize an event and very few of the vocal guys showed up.

One of our club members is, or at least was, a touring combat pilot. He invited several of his competitors to our club to put on a SSC, 2548, and Open B demonstration. It was a blast to watch. They got us involved as scorers and it was a really good day.

After that, a few bought foam cores for 2548s; but, as far as I know, none have been completed.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Tbone4life

Cant build a kit
Don't know where to start

This would be my answers when I first saw combat (Feb, 2007) and thought of getting into it.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:14 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

One reason why I enjoy combat is the fun I have cutting other people's streamers, and of course, when I unintentionally mid-air someone, watching their combat model shatter into several pieces, and hit the ground with a thump. Fun, fun. Good clean fun... [>:]

Regards,
GPB
Old 12-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Tbone4life

You forgot the part about when your speed challenged plane blasts past ours
Old 12-15-2007, 11:41 PM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: Tbone4life

You forgot the part about when your speed challenged plane blasts past ours

The news of my having a speed challenged combat model is greatly exaggerated.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:18 AM
batchelc
My Feedback: (7)

I got back into R/C last year after a few years. The guys at my local clube were telling me "that is so 2 years ago". I guess the club was really active in combat and someone was bringing spad combats to the field ans selling them, so when you mid-air'd you could spend 30 bucks and be up for the next round.

I'm talking to a few guys in the club to try combat with a twist. We'll design and build a "stock" combat airplane (that is really cheap) and then do combat races. A figure 8 race with .25 motors and streamers. Then we will multipy your race score by the amount of your streamer remaining. So this adds some strategy to the game...do you race, combat or both.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 AM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they are just scared.

Scott

[link]http://www.fayettevillercclub.com[/link]
Old 12-17-2007, 11:45 PM
fisher1648

There are four of us who are flying combat regularly at our club field. Everyone seems to really enjoy watching us - the peanut gallery I call it.....Unfortunately, nobody else seems to be stepping up to the plate so it's not growing at our club. I was really hoping it would catch on more but it hasnt much. The demographics of our club is probably typical - about 1/2 retired age, 1/4 middle aged, 1/4 young guns. Here are my observations:

1) Seems lots of guys think their airplanes are made of gold or something and cringe at the thought of "risking" anything.
2) Many dont think they can fly well enough.
3) I think lots have "stage fright" performing in front of the peanut gallery.
4) Most of the guys have plenty of cash - I dont think that's much of a factor.

We (the guys flying combat) are trying to recruit more guys but nobody seems to be biting. We'll keep trying !

Eric
Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 AM
glowplugboy

I was introduced seven years ago to combat because a friend gave me an airframe for free. "Here, take it", he said, and the rest is history. I have flown just about everything R/C offers except helis over the past 30 years, and nothing is as fun as combat.
If there is someone who is expressing serious interest, give them an aiframe. If you are flying flat bats for example, and bat, wing, and a tail feather costs around $20-30.
Our group is rapidly growing because we have flat bat "kits" readily available. I am in the business, so I supply engines and props, a buddy supplies the flat bats, while another cuts the wing cores. When potential combat flyers know everything they need is easily at hand, including expert assistance, they will take the leap. We have pilots who have flown for less than a year flying with our group, and we have combat "training sessions" where an experienced combat pilot talks a newbie through a round. On a good weather day, we will have up to a dozen planes starting a round, with two or three finishing it [:-]

Regards,
GPB

www.gcbmrc.com
Old 12-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Tbone4life

Um?? Where were you sunday?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM
glowplugboy

Um?? Where were you sunday?

As one who is very prone to bronchitis, I have to be careful on cold windy days. It's a sure fire way to steroids, antibiotics, and a deep, hacking cough [:'(]
Old 12-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Tbone4life

Yea me too. Had it not been for my Long Johns and support from Carlo's cold weather experience, I would have never made it through the day[sm=cry_smile.gif] NOT!!!!! I think thats excuse#78.
I CUT STREAMERS ALL DAY[>:] and a couple of wings
Old 12-19-2007, 11:19 AM
The Internet Killer

Yea me too. Had it not been for my Long Johns and support from Carlo's cold weather experience, I would have never made it through the day[sm=cry_smile.gif] NOT!!!!! I think thats excuse#78.
I CUT STREAMERS ALL DAY[>:] and a couple of wings
Long Johns ?????

Man you guys are thin skinned in Tx !!!!
Your highs for the next 3 days are 73 to 76 F (and you need long johns????) LMAO

http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?we...ns=wc:USTX1029

Now we up here in the very NW corner of the lower 48 have driving rain,
snow and a partially flooded field (at high tide)to look forward to.
But no mention of long johns.

http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?we...ns=wc:USWA0147
Old 12-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Tbone4life

That is some funny s**t, huh? Houston,TX is about as far north as I wanna go this time of year[:-]
Old 12-19-2007, 10:33 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Laid off of building this last season do to health but that is better so hope to do some SSC next season with my new design.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 AM
The Internet Killer

That is some funny s**t, huh? Houston,TX is about as far north as I wanna go this time of year[:-]
LMAO !!!!

If I go any farther north I would be in Canada, eh??

You know why canadien alway say eh ?

It is in the spelling of the country's name. C eh N eh D eh, eh!!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
vmsguy

A while back I was at my field and I got a chance to watch and video some combat.

That was FUN!

I'm new to this hobby, so I'm not ready. But I surely enjoyed watching it. It was truly a "David and Goliath" scenario.

In this case, Goliath won.

Here's the set up...

David: Glider with an electric motor, relatively new pilot

Goliath: Combat plane, 17 year veteran pilot, best pilot at the field.

Two things made this a lot of fun.
1. The huge speed discrepancy in the planes. It was actually difficult for the combat plane to fly slowly enough.
2. A video camera was mounted on the glider facing backwards.

You can see the video at http://www.freedomfieldrc.com under "videos" It's great fun!

I've got a video of it too, but I was on the ground.. I've got to upload it somewhere one of these days..

Old 12-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Tbone4life

[
If I go any farther north I would be in Canada, eh??

You know why canadien alway say eh ?

It is in the spelling of the country's name. C eh N eh D eh, eh!!
[/quote]

My cousin from Baton Rouge married a canadian, (who for what ever reason came there to play ice hockey??)He always says eh? after every sentence and has all those french cajuns walking around saying eh? after they say everything. Cracks me up to hear him and then them.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:22 AM
The Internet Killer

eh ?

Actually, if you listen to a canuck (Canadian) say eh, you will start
to realize that it has more than one meaning by the inflection invovled.

Is rather funny to hear an American say eh, as they don't really under stand it
and make it very monotone.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:51 AM
cashrc
My Feedback: (2)

One of our club members is, or at least was, a touring combat pilot. He invited several of his competitors to our club to put on a SSC, 2548, and Open B demonstration. It was a blast to watch. They got us involved as scorers and it was a really good day.
Carrell, would that club member be Dane McGee? He dropped out of combat then dropped off the face of the earth, wondering what he's been up to. If that demo was a few years ago, it might have been the one he invited us to, I came out with my wife and a couple of friends to the Greenville field to put on a demo, and there was talk of holding an event or two there, but nothing came of it.

Cash
Old 12-27-2007, 03:19 PM
carrellh

Dane is the one. I remember you were there.
No one has heard from Dane in a year or more. Someone said they thought he was spending his spare time working on upgrading his full scale pilot license.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Last time I looked, there was only .25 sized combat in my area. The planes mostly just fly around at 90 mph until they mid air, if a streamer is picked off cleanly during one of the high speed jousting runs, it is pure luck with a closing speed approaching 180 mph. I fly 1/2A & .15 diesel RC combat each Summer with a couple of friends....usually we get in about 2 hours of actual combat time in with minimal damage. Towards the end of the day is usually when we can get a little sloppy or impatient and mid air.
If SSC was in the area, I'd fly it....but SSC really isn't all that survivable. When a .15 engine gets pile-driven into the mud by a 40 oz plane at 45-50 mph, something usually snaps. SSC rules could have been designed much differently....less speed...less weight...fewer pilot error type midairs and less wreckage.
For those who like things just the way they are [AMA rules], that's great....the sport has come a long way and it has been a great hobby for quite a few guys.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Alex Treneff

Combatpigg,

I understand your plight. Unfortunately SSC isn't flown everywhere. But that gives you a chance to start it up!

I always recommend SSC over B to new guys. It's a lot easier, more fun, and really is survivable.

Sure, some damage happens. Eventually you have to build a new plane. But I figure if my average plane will last a season, and I'm going to several contests and flying a lot of weekends at the club field, I'm doing ok.

If they don't fly the kind of combat you like (SSC?) in your area, start it up!! How else will combat grow!? If we want streamers to chase, we have to get guys flying!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Alex, if I didn't already have enough RC combat to keep me happy, I would pursue it. I still have a barn full of 1/2A and .15 PAW diesel planes that were built 5 years ago. Outside of a couple of clipped antennas and center punched servos, the planes usually have to become too fuel soaked to qualify for burn barrel status. My 600 inch SSC planes still hang in the rafters mostly unused because I'm tired of dealing with ruined $60 engines after one crash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.