Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Cheep kits for beginners/and people warry of starting this up?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Cheep kits for beginners/and people warry of starting this up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Talon2535
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheep kits for beginners/and people warry of starting this up?

this sport looks like alot of fun but the cost of most planes plus repairs is just too much for most people. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to come up with a cheep easy to build kit under the 200 range for everything. then keeping repair costs down (other than busted servos and props of course) with cheep parts so that somone could start a club or just get a group of friends involved. i found this http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...-RC-aircraft./ and was wondering if we could designe a cheep kit like this one and help get interest up. at the very least help make it cheeper for people.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:56 PM
The Internet Killer

Default RE: Cheep kits for beginners/and people warry of starting this up?

with kits around $65-75,
$60 for an engine
a $40 receiver
and 3 $10 servos which you more than likly have kicking around already

totals about 200.

Just wondering why you even started this thread.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Alex Treneff

Talon,

The best way to get a group involved is to have everyone flying the same thing. That way no one is outlcassed and it's a lot more fun. This is what we do at our field and we have about 8 guys flying combat, so usually about 4 or 5 will be there on a weekend day. Check the RCU Combat Forum for a thread called [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6664979/tm.htm]Club Combat in West Tennessee[/link].

Personally, I think that SSC class (.15-sized) is the best way to go, although if you guys prefer .25-size, "Limited B" is a good choice.

There are several kits and engines available for SSC, so you can check them all out, but here is the combo that I recommend:

[link=http://www.treneffrc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BA-SSC-100-KIT]Battle Axe SSC kit[/link]
OS LA-.15 Engine
3 S3004 or equivalent or HS-81 MG servos
7-channel or Electron 6 Receiver (or 2.4 GHertz)

If you want .25 size, you can do [link=http://www.treneffrc.com/products.asp?cat=24]Limited or Open B[/link] and use an OS .25 FX. The "SSC" class is easier to get started in and is cheaper. (If you have questions about either Battle Axe kit, I can help since we manufacture them.)

If you have some of the gear laying around already, then the costs are minimal. As Internet Killer said, even if you have to buy the 3004 servos and a RX, you're still looking at just around 200. Good thing about a model designed specifically for combat is that they are tough and are designed to withstand impacts well, and are easy to repair when needed.

You can look around at various designs and such, but your best bet will generally be to stick with one of the established classes (SSC or Limited B), which have kits available and other guys to fly with.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Alex Treneff

One more note, as to the "Broken Servos" concern you mentioned, I use HS-81 MG servos, and have found that within the warranty period, Hitec offers really good repair service. I've sent in quite a few battle-damaged servos (and a receiver) and Hitec's sent them back like new, for just cost of shipping the servos to Hitec. I haven't tried many of the smaller brands, but if you're buying new servos for combat, I would recommend Hitecs. The cheaper Futaba S3004 or equivalent will work for SSC, but you'll risk stripping the nylon gears at some point. We do have several guys at our field using S3004s with good success.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:44 AM
Talon2535

i'm still new to the whole RC plane world mostly RC cars (still working on a rotary RC car) had an old gasser back in the day but it left rc range one day and never came home i saw that foam flyer and thought it would be a cool idea if i could get it under 200 the lower the cost the more likly i could get friends into it. (they are cheep) i have electric flyers and was thinking i could come up with somthing like that i could pass out to a few frends and get them interested thats all.

would also like to point out i'm in olympia wa and there is basicly no clubs in this area (that i know of)
Old 12-22-2007, 02:26 PM
The Internet Killer

ORIGINAL: Talon2535
would also like to point out i'm in olympia wa and there is basicly no clubs in this area (that i know of)
Olympia ??? strange I thought you were from Everett.

Either way there are a couple of clubs flying combat in the Seattle area. (when the weather dries out)
Old 12-22-2007, 02:30 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

this sport looks like alot of fun but the cost of most planes plus repairs is just too much for most people. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to come up with a cheep easy to build kit under the 200 range for everything. then keeping repair costs down (other than busted servos and props of course) with cheep parts so that somone could start a club or just get a group of friends involved. i found this http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...-RC-aircraft./ and was wondering if we could designe a cheep kit like this one and help get interest up. at the very least help make it cheeper for people.
Cheap is relative to your income. Combat just for fun is not very expensive at all in relation to most other aspects of RC aviation. I understand if you are on a tight budget (allowance from parents) but this may be an aspect of the hobby that you will have to wait to be involved in until you get a real job.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Talon2535

ouch i'm living on my own and have a job...bills suck. but anyway the point was to designe a kit/find a kit that i could get my tightwad friends to perchase.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:24 PM
gunfighter

You can build a SPAD for under $20.00 and have a lot of fun.
Can't get much cheaper than that!
RNAF wing on a flat bat fuse and you are good to go in SSC, Limited B or open B.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Talon2535

that actually might work thx somthing like that could be build for around 100 after all the parts in an electric
Old 12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm still new to the whole RC plane world mostly RC cars (still working on a rotary RC car) had an old gasser back in the day but it left rc range one day and never came home i saw that foam flyer and thought it would be a cool idea if i could get it under 200 the lower the cost the more likly i could get friends into it. (they are cheep) i have electric flyers and was thinking i could come up with somthing like that i could pass out to a few frends and get them interested thats all.

Talon,

Where were you going to do your combat flying? If your budget is under $200, and you haven't secured a field or joined a club yet, I suggest you look for the infrastructure before you spend any money.

Around here, the combat guys fly the aforementioned SPADs, which are simple coroplast designs made from old signs & such. The engines & radios are of conventional cost, but they all belong to a club which rents & maintains a secluded location for flying. Club dues and the required AMA membership can eat up a good chunk of that $200 every year.

For a couple hundred, you can buy a flight simulator, and have a lot of fun. Or, you can do some park flying (though I don't encourage flying alone or in the presence of unrestricted spectators.)

Just some food for thought.
Dave Olson
Old 12-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Talon2535

thx for the imput but an area to fly in isn't a prob. Several of my friends own acerage. My family has 20 acers of grapes in eastern wa with abut 5 of that open land so air strips arent a problem. I basicly want to build a few planes on the cheep that i can take out that are simple to fly and easy to repair so that i can get a few friends together drink some beer and not cry when they crash the planes. and if they happen to get more into it and buy them or build there own all the better. this is more a bbq/get together thing we hang out alot but never do much. i have tons of rc parts but i need a kit that i can build 3 or 4 of cheep. It's not one plane thats why i was looking for a cheep option i plan on building a few. So me and a few possibly drunk friends can get stupid and not cry when we inevitably break them. I saw that foam flyer and thought hell it's easy to build cheep to repair and wanted to see if there were any other ideas that way they are full contact and we can act like idiots trying to kill the other persons plane.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:15 AM
Tbone4life

Build this http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm with a .15 motor and have everyone flying the same thing and damage is not an issue. We have about 8 of these that fly every sunday and damage is not an issue, 1 guy flys a tuff flight panther with a .28 on it and he damages the bats pretty good when we mid-air with him, but like Treniff said if everyone flys the same thing then damage is not an issue. I had 3 mid airs last sunday and broke 1 prop out of the 3, had to tape the wing and bend control rods back straight and I was up every round.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:33 AM
Tbone4life

I thought the link would go to the page of the flatbat plan? guess not. Go to classics and then .25 size and the bottom is the Flatbat plans but build it with a .15 instead. Most guys fly the Magnum xls .15 and it pulls it very well.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:38 AM
Talon2535

do you think these could be electric nothing against gas but i'm used to those
Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Tbone4life

I would think so, if the electric motor would put out the same power as a .15 nitro motor. The Magnum Xls .15 turns a MAS 8X3 prop at 18,000 rpms, 17,500rpm for competitions @ 5 min a round. We out at Tom Bass just fly until we run outta gas (4oz tanks) or all the streamers are gone (maybe 8 mins)
Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Tbone4life

ORIGINAL: gunfighter

You can build a SPAD for under $20.00 and have a lot of fun.
Can't get much cheaper than that!
RNAF wing on a flat bat fuse and you are good to go in SSC, Limited B or open B.
Whats a RNAF wing? A guy at Tom Bass cuts our flat bottom foam wings for us.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Fred420

For elec combat ..... see this thread on RCCA by Lee Liddle.

http://www.rccombat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12716

If you buy used LA .15's, use the Battle Axe kits, http://www.treneffrc.com/default.asp , you can be in the air for around $165.00. I fly the Axe in both limited B and SSC. I have 5 Axes now, but I flew my first complete season with only 2. Repairs are usally minor and can be fixed fairly quickly. The Axe is on a 2 rail system and is extremly durable. If you fly combat at scheduled RCCA events, there is an average of 8 rounds per class depending on the amount of pilots. Usally 6 to 9 in the air at once.

The Combat guys are great, they are willing to help all pilots with problems with their planes if needed. I have seen many times that a launch was held up for 5 to 10 min. while 3 or 4 guys are helping get another pilot in the air. Go to: http://www.rccombat.com/index.asp for a schedule of upcoming events or to just get all the help and info that you might need.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Talon2535

anyone here use this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5310 seems ok for the price
Old 12-24-2007, 02:43 PM
stang

Talon2535 wrote: "So me and a few possibly drunk friends can get stupid and not cry when we inevitably break them."
Drunks flying RC aircraft.
Yeah, that's what this hobby needs to get more members!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Talon2535

wow harsh... thats why it's flown on private land we get together hang out have a bbq and maybe fly a plane. we drive rc cars all the time some times a little drunk but hey it keeps us from driving on the streets and aything that keeps drunks off the road is a good thing. besides were i plan to fly this we are miles from almost any other living thing.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:50 PM
The Internet Killer

Demon must be feeling in the holiday spirt.

I was thinking he would mid-air this thread pretty soon.

If your looking for a sport to do drunk, try renting
some ice and playing hockey, it hurts less that way.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Talon2535

i didn't plan on doing it drunk it was ment as a joke guys why is everyone so serious i know flying a plane takes alot more attention than a little rc car i'm not an Rtard. All i ment by it was that we would be just a bunch of guys goofing off having a good time and if the planes get busted they were easy too fix and cost almost nothing. that way i can hand them to friends that have less experiance than me with rc planes and not worry when one takes a header.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:47 PM
gunfighter

"What's a RNAF dogfighter wing"?
Go to the same page and look under "classics" then "25 size" and look for the dogfighter.
Wing details are there. Except I used a 3/16" fiberglass rod in the leading edge and make the wing 48" span.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Tbone4life

ORIGINAL: gunfighter

"What's a RNAF dogfighter wing"?
Go to the same page and look under "classics" then "25 size" and look for the dogfighter.
Wing details are there. Except I used a 3/16" fiberglass rod in the leading edge and make the wing 48" span.

Oh yea, Duh fer me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.