Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

GP P51 25size with a 46TT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

GP P51 25size with a 46TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:44 PM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP P51 25size with a 46TT

I have a TT 46 I'm thinking about getting one of the Great planes combat planes for it, is anyone flying this combo?
Thanks
Edwin
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
grasshopper

Default RE: GP P51 25size with a 46TT

If you mean a Thunder Tiger .46? Or any other .46 for that matter, a 1/12 scale GP combat plane would be rediculously overpowered and nose heavy. I'm thinking virtually unflyable. Should look pretty scary though. Be sure to brandish it menacingly when you go to the field. If you're brave enough to test fly I'm betting you get one very short, but highly entertaining go round with a distinct sound at the end, SPLAT!

If you're serious about gearing up a combat plane for competition, remember the class engine size limits that are applicable.

2610 used to be a .26 size engine but a recent stupid (IMHO) rules change increased that to .30. I don't know when the change takes effect and frankly don't care. The class was already way too fast in most people's estimation and more horsepower should just about finish the job of killing it off.

2548 requires a .25 size motor which is plenty of zip for that size plane.

If you're not serious, go for it, have fun, just be careful and make sure no one puts an eye out! Good luck!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:52 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: grasshopper

If you mean a Thunder Tiger .46? Or any other .46 for that matter, a 1/12 scale GP combat plane would be rediculously overpowered and nose heavy. I'm thinking virtually unflyable. Should look pretty scary though. Be sure to brandish it menacingly when you go to the field. If you're brave enough to test fly I'm betting you get one very short, but highly entertaining go round with a distinct sound at the end, SPLAT!

If you're serious about gearing up a combat plane for competition, remember the class engine size limits that are applicable.

2610 used to be a .26 size engine but a recent stupid (IMHO) rules change increased that to .30. I don't know when the change takes effect and frankly don't care. The class was already way too fast in most people's estimation and more horsepower should just about finish the job of killing it off.

2548 requires a .25 size motor which is plenty of zip for that size plane.

If you're not serious, go for it, have fun, just be careful and make sure no one puts an eye out! Good luck!
Wow, that is interesting about the rule change. It kind of makes sense but seems to be really unnecessary. I could see having the same equipment as Open B, but the most popular engines are .25's anyway.
I can tell you why .30 was decided upon originally (I was on the rules commitee that created the initial Open class rules with the RCCA) There were several engines on the market at the time that were of the .28 displacement and they wanted to allow these. None of them were powerful though and have since fallen by the way side. Also the classes are a throwback to the original engine designations of 1\2 A, A, B, C, and D. That is why the open classes are designated that way. No real airframe rules just an engine size limit.

As for the .46...... Why? Is this all you have lying around? Just go buy a bigger plane. You will have to add a bunch of weight to the tail to get it to balance and it will be snap happy. One thing we found early on, it is best to keep the small scale birds light.
If you do decide to do it, get a video because I want to see it. I love to see dramatic, catastrophic crashes at other peoples expense!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

An OS .32 would be a safe bet for success.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 PM
khh1955

I built one with an OS.46la once...
Yeah...it was heavy,I had to put the elevator servo back to the tail!

Hand launches were almost impossible...a plane that heavy wants to drop & tork over with even
the best of hand launchs!

But I did manage to get it going & flying a few times...
yeah it was fast...
burned thru the fuel rather quick...
And when it runs out of fuel...it drops like a rock!

I recently sold it...the hand launching was just a bit too much...even for me!

Good Luck