Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Discontinued .25 FX?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Discontinued .25 FX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Discontinued .25 FX?

Does anyone know if OS plans on continuing to manufacture the .25 FX? Tower has them as limited quantities and with the new AX line and particular the .35 coming out, I am a little concerned. This is my favorite engine and if this is the case I nedd to get some more.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
draftman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Discontinued .25 FX?

yeah me too. nobody knows whats going on yet. that 35 is nice but it wont go into a combat plane that has a 30 max. I hope o.s. will be smart and have an improved 25 to 30 ax. i hope they dont make a 20 to 24 ax, that wouldnt help much unless it had the power of a 25 or larger. I would hate to have to go to a different engine for combat. the o.s.'s just start and run and stay running. I tried the mag 28, I wasnt too impressed. has anybody tried th thundertiger of that size?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:07 PM
vertical grimmace

It seems at this point, if there was something comparable, it would be getting used. I suppose the TT could be promising but I have not run one. I love the .40 and .46 for pylon racing though. The Webra still seems to be the ticket otherwise in combat but nothing is as user friendly as the .25 FX. It will be a sad day when that engine is gone.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM
draftman1

yeah unless they do make a 25ax. the ax line is really nice and powerfull, I hope O.S. stays smart. I hope the limited quantity thing is just a temp situation. There was a limited supply 3 months back also, then the reg shippment came in.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:30 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last I heard.......the 25FX and the 32.are no more! So, if you can find them,....grab all you can!

I will never understand why OS does this. They have a great engine in the 25 Fx and the 32......why change it or stop making it?? This is not the first time either........they stopped making the 40 SP...and gave us the updated and more powerful 40 LA....WHAT A JOKE!!![:@]
Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
draftman1

boy that would be stupid, what do they think they are gona do about the 10 to 30 market. that 35 isnt gona be able to do that. in a 30 size yes but in the lower end, no way. I thought the 25 fx was one of there best sellers. who knows. oh well I will just buy another brand if that area isnt being taken care of.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:22 AM
aimmaintenance

I copied this from a thread on RCCA site from last year. It mainly is a discussion about motors for Limited B with a 14500 rpm max but you may get some info out of it.
I agree with you all that dropping the FX from the line up would be bad though. That is a great running little motor.

Posted - 04/13/2007 :
Supertigre .29, Como .29, OS 28F and 28F-H. The OS 28F (especially the heli version) is still widely available in the second hand market, and is a smooth running and very user-friendly engine. With the heli head it is only slightly heavier than an FX, with a standard head it's actually lighter. It has the same mounting and muffler bolt patterns as the FX. Like an FX, it seems to find turning low 14k on the spec prop very routine. Some are higher. As long as you are in the low 14k range you're in the hunt and will be just fine. If you drop below 14 you will start to notice a performance deficit to most of the pack, I think. The ST is a real torquer and may get you over the limit. I used to use STs when the "old" limit of 15.5k was there and they would turn in the 15s easily. Now with the 14.5k limit I don't usually run the STs because I dislike having to shut the carb down, it's easier to just run the FX or 28F. The ST is about the same weight as the 28F and has the same mounting pattern, but has a different muffler spacing (which happens to be the same as the 25FP). All these engines are very durable and have excellent carbs, about the only maintenace item is the rear bearing which is the same size on all of them, and readily available. With the LimB setup it seems that they never wear out or break, unless you eat some dirt (not that that ever happens in combat!).

As you have observed, the Norvel and FX are good picks. I like the RNV/swept NV on those engines for combat- conventional, straight, carb-mounted NVs have been known to get broken off in midairs and dirt naps. The FX NVA will break off but it's not usually going to stop the engine, unlike a normal carb.

The Mag 28XL also seems to be a great choice, but be aware that I have seen at least three different carb choke sizes (anywhere from .239 to .270) on the Mag 28. The bigger carb definitely gives more power in a conventional Open B setup, i'm not sure if the smaller carb is a problem for LimB. It might be fine- what size is your carb, and what rpm have you been getting (and with what % nitro?). The Mag 25XL is a bit of a wheezer although it comes with a small carb and performs noticeably stronger with a larger .28 carb (mine turned 14.3 on the spec prop with a bigger carb). The Enya .25X and SS engines are really nice running but only turn about 14k max, which is still pretty adequate but not up there with the FX. They also have weak carb-mounting areas so I would avoid them for combat. I have three, and two have cracked carb mount bosses. They're repaired with JBW and still run great but it's a hassle to break the carb off in a dirt nap! The K&B 28 sportster is kind of weak, only turns upper 13k range. It would get someone in the air if that's what they had laying around, but I'd avoid it if there were other choices.

The Fox .25BB Schneurle engine has a reputation for being a strong running engine. I have one but have only run it on B props, where it was not up to an FX (and being an iron-piston engine, it is a vibrator at high rpm). I haven't yet tried mine on a LimB prop but based on its performance on a 9x4, at this point i'd say there are better choices. It ran fine for me, though.

The OS 25 FSR is very weak and I would not recommend it. The 25SF is a nice runner but not as strong as an FX. The Thunder Tiger PRO 25 is a wheezer, weaker than a plain-bearing 25. Any plain-bearing .25 (i.e. OS25FP/LA clone, NOT counting the Norvel) is not up to competitive Limited B demands in box-stock form. I have also run Royal and Leo .28s (basically the same engine), and the Brat .28 and all are rather weak. I mention these because they show up on places like eBay all the time, usually described as "screamers" but as Keith Jones would say, they can't pull the skin off a bowl of rice pudding. And finally, the Webra .25, for all its might in Open B, is a weakling on a stock muffler and limited B prop!

Hope that helps!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:07 AM
draftman1

thanks for the info. im still confident that os will have a 20 something they will bring out, an improved model. an official notice from os about a discountuance of the 25 fx and its replacement should be in order. the best thing we could do is e-mail o.s. to there "make a sugestion" place and let them know that we need a engine in that range.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:18 AM
iliveonthemoon

ORIGINAL: draftman1

yeah me too. nobody knows whats going on yet. that 35 is nice but it wont go into a combat plane that has a 30 max. I hope o.s. will be smart and have an improved 25 to 30 ax. i hope they dont make a 20 to 24 ax, that wouldnt help much unless it had the power of a 25 or larger. I would hate to have to go to a different engine for combat. the o.s.'s just start and run and stay running. I tried the mag 28, I wasnt too impressed. has anybody tried th thundertiger of that size?
I had a thundertiger max 25 in my gremlin. absolute nightmare. difficult to start, and between us me and my father have never had trouble starting engines in 30 years experience.
plus in it's 5th flight the silencer broke. I gave up on it and put an OS25 FX in. Never going back! absolutely beautiful engine, starts first or second flick and is powerful and reliable. Will have to buy a couple more of these before they disappear.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Reverse_Sensing

So what is the conclusion? Is OS discontinuing the 25fx or not. If that is the case, I dont know how I am going to continue with combat
Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM
draftman1

I got a reply from Bax, the Hobico Guy, He said there not discontining the 25fx, the mew 35 os to replace the 32. great news!!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Reverse_Sensing

Good deal, glad to hear it. I just bought a new one a couple months ago I and I was afraid I was gonna have to go back and buy out the store. I love the OS 25fx
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all

I have had to give up combat do to arthritis in my thumbs and if any one is looking for a 25fx that was mounted and never ran. pm me and I will give you the the info

cheers Bob T
Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Bill Michie

Have just started combat in UK on an occasional basis.
Was advised to try the ASP.25 if on a budget as an alternative to the more expensive engines. Got "two for a deal" on special offer. On APC 9x4 and 10% fuel, quite good. On Coolpower 30, got another 1000rpm's though ran a bit hot. Have used them now twice in Gremlin Combat sessions and they kept up with the best anyone else had! Only thing I did was use two plug washers & set the HS slightly rich on the ground. 5 mins runs at full throttle in 29deg C temps, consistent running and easy starting even when stinking hot. (standard mufflers, APC 9.4x4.5)
My two pence/ cents worth!
Bill.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 AM
rrh

Bill, what kind of rpms were you getting out of the ASP?

r
Old 10-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Bill Michie

Hi Randy. Didn't record it but will try get a reading soon & post here. All I can say is that my Gremlin went as well as anyone elses and better than several, with different engines, eg OS FX, ASP, Irvine and yes close to a West .25 even! On standard 10% fuel I'd have been a bit down but the engine still goes well on 10%.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

RH, I have an ASP .25 that run's 17,800 on a MA S2 9 X 4, Sig 15% fuel, mousse can. I think it is a one in a million though.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: yankee samurai

RH, I have an ASP .25 that run's 17,800 on a MA S2 9 X 4, Sig 15% fuel, mousse can. I think it is a one in a million though.

And those are really not very good numbers. The FX gets close to 20,00 with that setup.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Bill Michie

Hi again Randy. Flew my ASP again yesterday on Wildcat 30%. In cool temps (about 8deg C) I got 13950 on a normal APC 9x4. While it might not sound hugely spectacular, remember, this is on a bog-standard muffler (small volume & outlet!) and standard ASP carb. (not allowed mousse-cans or other tuned systems) I'd also venture that at that rpm's the engine will last awhile, unlike at 18-20K! For me it works well and the engine handles well outta the box and completely standard. (just using 2 plug washers)
Anyways, I'm only limited by ability and luck, not performance, so that suits me fine!
Regds, Bill.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 AM
rrh

Thanks Bill, appreciate the info.

r
Old 08-12-2009, 02:51 PM
boiler1

Magnum may come out with an XLS. If it performs like the 15xls we have a good replacement. Hopfully Magnum will keep the displacement at .30 or below and use a remote needle valve to prevent damage in combat.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
racer639

how close is close? it's kind of relitive
Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 PM
vertical grimmace

Well let's see. It has happened. The new one is very expensive. Not active with combat anymore but this was one of my all time favorite engines. Hopefully the new one will have even more power.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXEG2&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBY42&P=ML
Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 PM
oceansfiftyseven

So the new version is 20% heavier and 50% more expensive. Ouch!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 PM
vertical grimmace

Not only will it screw your balance but also your pocketbook. I wonder if it will be more powerful though? My .46 AX is much better than my .46 FX. Anyone have experience with the .35 AX?

Oh, but I guess at this point, there is no search for more power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.