Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Palm Beach Fl SSC Combat Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Palm Beach Fl SSC Combat Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 PM
cccdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Palm Beach Fl SSC Combat Build

I am begining to set up a combat plane build to encourage pilots to give it a try. The General Idea is to gather 8 to 10 pilots that want to try combat. I will supply all the supplies needed (minus reciever) to complete a AMA Rules SSC combat plane. The price of the build is to be determined and can be affected the number of builders, and any discounts I can solicit by buying in bulk. I am passing any discounts to the group and am not doing this for profit.

The builders will benefit from the discounted price, building instruction and help trimming and getting that first nerve racking flight done. There has also been some disscussion about a clinic date at the feild to help pilots make the jump into a contest.

I am asking any prospective builder e-mail me at [email protected] to confirm your interest. If there are enought builders I will collect a $100.00 deposit on/or about June 1st to secure materials and will have a total cost at that time. I am estimating the cost to be about $200. for airplane, motor, servos and misc hardware that will complete a finished plane.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Blue Note

Default RE: Palm Beach Fl SSC Combat Build

I did that exact thing back in March for some people around here. It helped to get them started and teach them about how to build/repair a combat plane. All I can say is be sure to check your math when you are pricing the costs. Things like glue and tape really start to add up when you are building several planes - not to mention servos and other gear required to complete the planes. You can all save some money from buying in bulk, but be careful, you can come in upside down quickly and others won't really appreciate the effort you've gone through to make it all happen. However, if you can get them in the air and have some people to combat with it may be worth the effort. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:12 AM
DaneMcGee

What airframe are you gonna build?

I have read on the RCCA site how the guys in California have had a great deal of success with group/club builds and increased their local combat contest numbers.

Here's a link to one of the CA sites: http://members.cox.net/pfcombat/

Maybe one of the CA guys will chime in..........
Old 05-03-2009, 12:36 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There is some old proverb about charity VS teaching a man how to fish....or maybe we're talking about leading a horse to water? Beware of overly generous offerings to recruit combat activity. These guys either want to do it, or they don't.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 PM
cccdad

Well I was hoping to generate some intrest in a time that the participant numbers are down. I did not think I would get flamed in a combat forum!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Blue Note

ORIGINAL: cccdad

Well I was hoping to generate some interest in a time that the participant numbers are down. I did not think I would get flamed in a combat forum!

I agree that it is a great idea and I am glad that I did ours here. In fact, I will probably do it again in the future as hopefully interest and participation increases cycling through different classes and building strategies. I simply want to make sure that you think through some of the little things that can come up as when I was doing mine and the true expense each person will probably have in the plane. If you start upping the price each time they talk to you because you forgot to add this or that into the price, they will get gun shy. Figuring the cost of the basic airframe is fairly simple, especially if you just by a bunch of kits at one time. Ours was a custom design more fitting for our club location and pilot levels, which probably complicated matters on my end. Most of the time you have additional costs such as tanks, push rods, clevises, fuel tubing, control horns, PU glue, spray glue, masking tape, bi-di tape, colored tape of film, servos, batteries, switches/charging jack, servo lead extensions, engine, glow plug, prop, spinner nut, rubber bands, receiver, etc. that ad up much more quickly than I ever realized. If you are not careful, the oversight may come out of your wallet - and after you put in all the effort and time to put the clinic together....you should not allow yourself to go into the hole. The participants in the clinic will probably never have any idea how much work can go into making sure everyone has everything needed.

We did our build session all in one day. Bad idea in that it was a LONG day, but scheduling was difficult for the group as was location. You may not have that issue, and your participants may be more motivated. Try to stick with each of them until every one of them has put their planes in the air and has soloed it. I found that to be critical. Otherwise , they may drag their feet and take weeks or months to even get the plane 100% finished and flying, let alone trying combat.

I DO think a clinic such as this IS a great way to quickly bring several new combat pilots into the skies and nurture the sport in a given area. Furthermore, after you get your group together, try going around to some of the other relatively local clubs and do some demo rounds during one of the fly-ins, you may generate more interest and spread the participation base. Keep us posted. I'll be interested in your progress and glad to help if applicable.

Later,

BNC
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
cccdad

I am a fan of the Team Sharnell B2 Avenger. They fly well build right at about 40oz and are an easy hand launch for a newbie. I have not set in stone which model due to if there is deal out there to significantly lower the cost to these newbies I want to be able to offer it to the group. I tried to post the LHS flyer here but I cant figure how to put up a word doc?

I have the LHS on board so I have most of the small hardware covered. They are also looking to supply the work space. I have also given some thought to the process since I have built more than a small handfull of these planes and I think 2 build sessions with a small amount of homework in between should produce a completed airplane. Building over the summer I have not set the test fly day, but I plan to make myself (and hopefully some other combat pilots) available to work with this group to get them trimmed and test flown.

The last step would be to get them to sign up for a contest already scheduled for September. Our club has already agreed to adding a special recognition award for our best newbie combat pilots. Now I just need about 8 to 10 pilots to step up to make it happen.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Blue Note

Well, have you made any progress with your build clinic?

BNC
Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What if we alreadyhave an engine?

You should Post the particulars. Guys can do it on their own. ARF's??

Starting a formation flying group could lead to combat compitition.

I see no flame?

Charles
Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
cccdad

It looks like it might be a wash I have 3 people commited to the build and 1 or 2 that wont commit. So I did not collect deposits or order materials. The club secratary is going to make one last push and if there are not at least 6 people ready to make a deposit for materials I am going to call it a wash
Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
cccdad

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

What if we alreadyhave an engine?

You should Post the particulars. Guys can do it on their own. ARF's??

Starting a formation flying group could lead to combat compitition.

I see no flame?

Charles
Charles it looks like you are in RI which would be a hike for you build a combat plane in Florida.

The plane and equipment would be the same for all the planes Idid not post specs for the planes beacuse based on buying power I was going to ask for a deal on a quantity of planes and equipment.

The planes out there are defintly are not ARF's they are kits though the idea was to give instruction so everyone would have success with the build and trimming.

Lastly the formation group is already here in Florida. Ifly the number 2 plane for "Air Combat America" We are sponsored by FTE , ZAP, Horizion Hobby and Team Sharnell. This is a great group and we put on combat demonstrations at RC Events such as "Top Gun" Monster Planes " Fantasy of Flight" Pylon races and other flying events. There should be some team photos on www.rccombat.com they would be in the forums under debrief (you may have to do a search)
Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Blue Note

ORIGINAL: cccdad

It looks like it might be a wash I have 3 people commited to the build and 1 or 2 that wont commit. So I did not collect deposits or order materials. The club secratary is going to make one last push and if there are not at least 6 people ready to make a deposit for materials I am going to call it a wash

Sorry to hear that. I had the same problem, but did end up getting 6 to commit. It may be worth doing the 3 just to get some in the air and combating. After that, i found others feel left out of the fun and then want to get in on theh "next" build clinic. Of course, my thinking at times is " that ship has sailed". It was a lot of work and headache, but may pan out in the end. Just don't expect a lot of appreciation. Do it becuase you want to promote the hobby.

Good luck!

BNC