Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Help with batt. selection.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Help with batt. selection.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Jleider83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with batt. selection.

Justin getting back into flying from a good 10 years ago. I have a bunch of old 4.8 volt batt. I would love to replace them with new lipo but not sure what to pick. I would like get around 1300mah for my radio equ. in the plane. running 4 channels with 5 standard serveos. The new lipos i was lookinf at are all 7.4 volts or higher. Can i plug that right into my recever or is the voltage being higher going to be a problem? and if so what do i do to reduce the voltage. Also what does the c ratting mean like 20 c, or 30c, and how do i know what to choose.

Thanks for any help.
Justin
Old 11-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Blue Note

Default RE: Help with batt. selection.

As I understand it....The limiting factor on uses for a LiPo for you receiver depends on you other equipment. Many receivers, especially older ones, will require a BEC ro UBEC to regulate the 7.4V from the 2S Lipo down to 4.8 or 6.0V ( or close to it ) so it won't fry you receiver and/pr servos. Check both of them, as some receivers can take the higher voltage, but servos may no be rated for anything more than 4.8Vs. The C rating represents the continuous current discharge the battery can put out before overheating. If you are pulling a lot of amps running a honking hot motor, as well as a receiver and digital servos - your amp draw can get up there, but if all you are running is a receiver and 4-5 standard servos, your draw will be less. How much less, I don't know. Below is a link that may help explain things better than I can and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. In the meantime, check out the nitro powered helicopter threads ( and suppliers ) for information on this. It seems standard operational procedure for most of them and they may be able to give you a precise recommendation.

[link=http://prototalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22]http://prototalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22[/link]

Old 11-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Jleider83

Is there a way to figure out what kind of current the electrical system is pulling?  The plane is glow powered so i dont have to worry about a electric motor. Would it be ok to run more then a 2s if you regulate the voltage to what  the recever requires?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 AM
BuzzRTC

As far as what current you are pulling, just look at the specs for the servos and reciever, and simply add them up.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

just get these http://www.all-battery.com/6v2000mah...ctor11106.aspx
you will not need a higher amp battery unless you use (150+oz) high torque servo's
then i would go li-fe (a123) not lipo.

why make a system more complex than it has to be????? just use good, reliable, nimh batteries