Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

help me pick a chassis!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default help me pick a chassis!

i have had drifters before. you basic shafty 4wd ones. fun, but not scale.

on youtube there are some amazing vids showing off countersteer setups. I want one!

i know many use the yokomo(i think thats the name) and those suckers are pricey!

so, is there a cheaper chassis that can be converted to countersteer fairly easy?

i wanna drift like these guys:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trQaHaWA8w&list=PLC9F6A19A95DD41CF&index=32[/youtube]
Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help me pick a chassis!

just get a tt-01 fairly cheap and 4wd
Old 09-18-2011, 02:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Shabbernigdo

can a tt-01 be converted to counter steer?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

what do you mean? just turn the wheels the other way while sliding.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

what do you mean? just turn the wheels the other way while sliding .
No, no, no....
countersteer setup on drift cars involves making the rear tires turn faster than the front. this produces true oversteer. true oversteer requires true countersteer in order to drift.

if you watch vids of tt-01 or simillar drift cars drifting, you will see they often are steering into the turn, and not countersteering.

watch the vid i posted. those cars truely countersteer. some are setup with 125%(rear tires turn 1 & 1/4 turn for every 1 turn of the front) and some have as much as 166%
Notice the amount of angle those guys get, and yet they can control the car very well. a standard drift car without a countersteer setup cannont drift like that.

the cars are also often modded to allow greater steering angle.

most countersteer setups are done on belt driven 4wd cars. but i think some shaft driven ones can be modded as well.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:35 PM
cykotik1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, a TT01 can be countersteered, takes some work but possible. A shaft driven car can be set up for CS, but its a bit harder to do than a belt driven car. Top dogs at the moment are the Tamiya TA-05, Team Magic E4D and the Yokomo cars. A good drift car can and will be fairly expensive. If you can squeeze it into your budget, try to find a Tamiya TA-05 VDF. It is one of the best drift chassis money can buy.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

how hard is it on the tt-01?

like i had said, i want a low-cost chassis. one that will be easy to find used.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM
cykotik1

The hardest part in any CS setup is finding the parts. Only one company that I know of that sells CS kits for the TT01 and that is Active Hobbies. And everywhere I know of is sold out of them. What is your budget to get back sliding?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: cykotik1

The hardest part in any CS setup is finding the parts. Only one company that I know of that sells CS kits for the TT01 and that is Active Hobbies. And everywhere I know of is sold out of them. What is your budget to get back sliding?
idealy $150.
Im not in a hurry tho. wont be much longer before snow falls here. but i want to get a car to work on over the winter. you know, get the countersteer setup done and get a cool body for it ect.

so there is a kit to mod the tt-01?

what about other shafty cars? the TC3 maybe?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
cykotik1

[/quote]
idealy $150.
Im not in a hurry tho. wont be much longer before snow falls here. but i want to get a car to work on over the winter. you know, get the countersteer setup done and get a cool body for it ect.

so there is a kit to mod the tt-01?

what about other shafty cars? the TC3 maybe?
[/quote]

Any car can drift. Just basically tires and balance. If you want a CS, try to find you a belt driven car. Belt driven cars are by far the easiest to find CSkits for. For $150, I would say a HPI E10 Drift. Not the best car, but it would be a decent candidate for CS. A little more will get you a HPISprint 2 Drift. And I'm referencing retail prices. So, you might be able to find either of the two around your target price. Are you a member of some of the more major drifting sites? If not, PM me and I'll send you a list of some of the better ones.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

no, not a member of any sites other than RCU.

i have had a tt-01, tl-01, exceed mad speed and 1 or 2 other onroads that i had drift tires on.

but those setups never gave me the kinda control i have seen with countersteer setups.

I love the anime initial-D. And there is a decent parking lot near my house that is almost always empty. it has a simi-circle area of grass that would be perfect as a drift course( i have some cones as well)
i have drifted there before, but like i said, normal 1:1 drift cars dont handle like the real thing. that dont actually oversteer.

is the E10 a shafty. is there a countersteer kit, or a gear you can get to change the front/rear tire speed?

i know the sprint is belt drive. i would just have to swap out one of the gears to get a different front/rear tire speed right?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:10 PM
cykotik1

The E10 is belt as well. And yes, for belt cars its just as simple as changing gears for CS. And I will PM you a list of a couple of good sites that have helped me in the last few months. I am a noob at drifting, but I have learned alot in the last few months. It helps to have a steel trap mind.