Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

what to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
jasonh3609

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to upgrade

I have a sprint 2 Drift. Just bought the castle creations sidewinder sv2 4600kv motor and esc. what other things can i upgrade to help with drifting?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:05 AM
kstmRYD

Default RE: what to upgrade

If you want to get maximum slide and control...two essential parts...lock the rear diff and put a one way in the front

This is the front one way I believe the HPI part no is 86042 and the differential locker is 88073...or you can lock the diff with hot glue, silicone, JB Weld or just about any other thing instead of buying the diff locks...what you want to achieve is to stop the gears from spinning...personally I preferred the diff locks but that was just the technician in me...

This is the front one way...

This is the diff locker...you gut out the sun gear and planetary gears and put the locker in place.

I haven't messed with a sprint 2 in over 5 years...when I had the chassis catching a pebble or rock between the rear diff pulley and the lower deck (chassis bottom) would rip the belt to shreds...the solution was to drill out a hole right under the rear diff pulley so any debris would fall out rather than get wedge there...I don't know if the newer Sprint 2 suffers from this.

Later on if you really want the "closer to true drift experience" you can counter steer the driveline later on...I believe I still have all the part numbers I used if you want to go that route
Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 AM
jasonh3609

what exactly is counter steering the driveline? sorry im a noob when it comes to drift. i mainly tinkered with stadium trucks in the past
Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 AM
jasonh3609

and also what about things like an aluminum chassis and upgraded suspension? would these both help with drifting?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 AM
kstmRYD

counter steering or "CS" is when the rear tires spin more revolutions than the front tires...for example if the rear wheel does two revolutions for every one revolution the front tire does it is CS'ed 2.0 or 100% countered. What this does it makes the rear of the car slide out easily and as the car "is in the slide" you need to keep the tires pointed in the direction of the road, while you stay on the throttle, just like a real car, this is referred to as "full lock." You achieve CS by changing pulley sizes, the rear center pulley (the one connected to your motor) and the differential pulley. If you are new to drift stick to 50/50 (both wheels turning the same revolutions) until you get the hang of drifting. CS is a bit challenging, some guys do all the mods and can only do donuts with the car as the rear wants to pass the front, you need good throttle control in order to keep the car from spinning out when it is CS. Once you learn how to control the car well...like switching it back and forth and drifting on intended lines or lanes, then I would suggest CS.

Things like aluminum chassis are nice and will play a very minor role in handling...that is you will not see any earth shacking difference by swapping to an aluminum chassis alone...but as you go tweaking or adding on other performance parts to the rest of the car then these as a "whole" will make a difference.

For now a oneway will enable you to shift directions very tightly...ever see videos of guys doing this...well here's one... notice how quickly they switch directions and notice the position of the front tires....
http://www.raikoudrift.com

Locking the rear tires so both have exactly the same revolutions will help you "break the rear loose" or in other words slide out the back. In grip racing they do not want this effect, but for drifting this is exactly what you want. Other than these two items starting off and a good set of drift tires I would say keep the car pretty much as it is...as you get better then you can move on to tweaking with other parts.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 AM
jasonh3609

thanks for the help. i'll probly get both the one way and the locking diifs soon
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 AM
kstmRYD

cool...let me know how it works out
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
mishal

AWESOME tips, thanks !!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 PM
mishal

Is it true that I cannot use reverse with a front one way diff ??

From where to get different sizes of pullies for HPI Sprint 2 ?
Old 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM
icedude1989

you can use reverse, it just doesnt rotate the front tyres so the car doesnt steer all that well going backwards. however if you are in a bit of a locked space, going slightly backwards will almost always give you enough space to get going again.