Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

esc where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
scavone128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default esc where to start?

i recently purchased a used tl-01 form rcu and it was a roller, since im new to brushed motors i need some help finding a good esc. are brushed motors simmilar to brushless, like to i need a certain amp rating, the car has a 17 turn motor in it
Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: esc where to start?

You will need an ESC that can handle a 17t motor.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM
scavone128

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrix-ECX...782#vi-content
would this be a good esc for my tl-01?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 AM
kstmRYD

that ESC is good down to 12T and it runs at 80amps/240amp burst...however ratings can be deceiving especially on inexpensive products. So is it good?? depends on what you want to do with it. Usually lower priced ESC like this one have a poor throttle curve which you need for smooth control for drifting on tight layouts on a slick surface...but on the other hand they work great bashing around in a parking lot as they usually have jack rabbit take off power. So it depends what you want it for and the type of use it will get.

The ESC's job is to smoothly regulate the flow of electricity to the motor...how well it does this depends on the quality of its components and it's control of internal thermal temps. So you get what you pay for, if it's going to get occasional light duty use, you probably can't go wrong for the price go for it, but if you are going to run it hard for many hours you might want to look into a reputable unit.