Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

at an impasse...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default at an impasse...

So I was all excited about the 3Racing Sakura D3 CS, but the more I hear feedback on it the more it seems to just sort of fall apart. I know the belt tension is a pretty easy fix but people seem to be having trouble with the CVDs self destructing now and someone thinks his belt drive posts may be torquing under load.

I'm wondering if this car is really worth it or if there's a close alternative I should be looking into...I think I'd like something a little more specialized than a S2D or TT01, but I'm not really ready to drop $400 on a roller alone. Also I really do like the design concept of the D3, with the front mounted motor, so I dunno. Should I just go for it and plan to be investing in upgrade parts or is there a better, more hassle-free kit I should look into without having to spend a great deal more.

Ideally I want something that's relatively pain free to set up and is ready for CS drifting right off the bat (even if it meant a 50/50 kit as long as as CS gears could be easily ordered alongside it). I'd also like something I can run outdoors without feeling guilty about beating up the frame and everything, there are some interesting parking lots and sidewalks around here with lines I'd like to play with. Like I said, I really do like the looks of the D3 from a design standpoint, but I'm much more interested in driving than modding and repairing things constantly.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM
EVA 01

Default RE: at an impasse...

there is always the Zero S, theSprint 2, the TEH-R31, or the E10. so you still have options
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Default RE: at an impasse...

After some more investigation I've found that the issues with the D3 CS are somewhat isolated and easy to fix, it looks like it's still the best bang for the buck if all you're looking to do with it is drift (which I am). It should be close to the same quality of the Zero S, and I have a friend that does business with 3Racing a lot for his Mini-Z shop that can order the kit for me.

The R31 looks interesting and is a great price, but I really like the front engine layout on the D3. I think I'm going to go ahead and start ordering my motor+esc, radio, servo and all that planning on the D3, but if it falls through with my friend for whatever reason I'll be giving the R31 some serious consideration.