Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Rally/Drift Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM
unitedheavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rally/Drift Build

I'm new to the drift scene and am looking into some of the cheaper chassis kits. I'd like to get one is fun to build, yet still inexpensive (less than $150). I'd also like to convert the kit to a rally type chassis, so that I can just switch tires to change between on-road and off-road. I don't plan to be racing against anyone, but the chassis needs to be durable, and I'll be looking for electronics to get it up to 60mph. All in all, ~$250 for a 50mph rally/drift hybrid that is decently durable?

Your opinions - Is this even possible? I've looked into a few, but I'm probably not the best judge:
Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
gokemidoro

Default RE: Rally/Drift Build

With the possible exception of the TT01, none of them will do what you want, without breaking something.Your budget limit is the determining factor why this is. You will have to consider "upping" that budget some, for a true crossover chassis, which is what you're describing, and the only manufacturer that makes one that fits your requirements is Tamiya. It's also not the TT01 I'm talking about here, but their XV01. I have one, myself, and it is the best candidate for both rally and drift. It is, unfortunately, approx. $130 above your present budget (for the base model that comes with a body, NOT the "pro" model). Your only other alternative is to get the TT01, and get an underbody (not sure if anyone makes one) to protect the electronics, and option parts are all over the place for TT01's, but they won't be anywhere near the XV01 in performance.OR......you could go "mini." There are a number of 1/12th, 1/16th and 1/18th scale chassis that can easily be modded for rally. I have a Tamiya M05 S-Spec (though only FWD, so it can't drift), ABC Hobby Genetic, Traxxas rally, and Associated SC18 that are all rally-capable, though only the Genetic, Traxxas rally and SC18 can be drifted. The Genetic comes as a "roller," but the others are RTR, and are closer to your budget limit than a 1/10th scale.Be aware that "mini" class wheels and tires are harder to find, and drift tires are almost non-existent in 1/18th scale, though a few can be found in 1/12th scale, and in the case of the Traxxas rally and ABC Hobby Genetic, 1/10th scale wheels and tires can be used!My Traxxas rally and ABC Genetic are both now drifters, and with the exception of the Rally, which had to be somewhat modified to drift, they both do as well as 1/10th scale, and in the case of the Genetic, BETTER!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:44 AM
adam911

thanks for sharing this information here, I am also thinking to get into this hobby and soon I am going to buy one drift RC car.
thinking to buy one like this
http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-cars/car...assis-kit.html
Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 AM
gokemidoro

I'd be very wary of anything from R2. They sell mainly clones. While I've seen some positive things about a few of the chassis they sell, on the whole, most people have nothing but problems with them. The one in the link is all plastic, and while inexpensive, you get what you pay for. My advice is to shop for a good TC chassis that can be modded for drift. Whether belt or shaft drive is your choice, but make sure whatever you get is "upgradeable." Check around to see what kind of aftermarket support it has, and what sorts of prices your likely to pay. Since I'm only into upper-level drift chassis now, I can't help you with a recommendation, but stick with those guidelines, and you'll be able to find something better than what's in that link.