Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Sprint 2 front motor conversion?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Sprint 2 front motor conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Chuckles_78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprint 2 front motor conversion?

Has anybody tried this? Is it worth my time or should I get into something else? What are some good suggestions for a better car. Open to everything so feel free to share. Mostly an outside asphalt car because finding an indoor Orwell kept outdoor track are limited. Any and ALL info is welcome.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:31 PM
ToraKitsu

Default RE: Sprint 2 front motor conversion?

Yes, it's been done before, with varying results, but one guy had done his, about two-three years ago, and was the best conversion I'd seen up to that point.It's just easier to get a purpose-built drifter, or if you have the time and cash, to build one yourself. Either the Ofna JL10e Drift or GT chassis are good starters, and are very affordable. Anything from Sakura is good (except the D3), and inexpensive, as well. Tamiya makes quite few models to choose from, nd the TA05 series, TB03 are great chassis for drift.Whatever chassis you decide on, go with a 17.5T brushless, or 17T brushed system, a fast servo (at least .10 transit speed), and an adjustable transmitter, receiver, in 2.4 Ghz.Try Raikou Drift Tires, online. They have many compounds of drift tires that will serve well, though I recommend the DXPE or s45's.Just take into account.....drift is NOT about speed. it is about smoothness, and everything you choose should be geared toward that. Do you have any above- or below-ground parking structures near you? those always have smooth, treated concrete, and are the perfect places to drift (when closed or very little traffic present).
Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Chuckles_78

Thank you ToraKitsu. I will look into those kits as well. Do you have the link on how he did it? Were there any pics? I found one and it looks to me like he did a great job. I use the Sprint 2 pretty much as a basher. I'm trying to find some tracks around the south Florida area. Both indoor and outdoor. I would hate to spend big money to run around uneven blacktop. I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I have and have fun. Any links, pics and anything else would be great.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:50 PM
ToraKitsu

Sorry, but I'm using a new laptop, and have never been able to post anything here (just me, being computer illiterate), but the article was a couple of years ago, and I can't remember where it was exactly..... As far as the Sprint 2, there is definitely better out there, because to be truthful, the S2 is not a very good drift platform.....A lot of slop in the steering, butt-heavy, and just in general, an old, obsolete design. As stated before, you can get a decent to great drift platform, by getting any of the above recommendations. I would sway you to try the Ofnas, or Sakuras. They both offer very inexpensive kits/rollers, that are fairly current, and are essentially a step or two above the S2. Do you have tennis courts nearby? Those usually have fairly smooth asphalt, though I still recommend you look for above-ground, or below-ground parking structures. Those are by far, the best.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Chuckles_78

Do you know anything about counter steer? Is it something I can do without the conversion? If someone could help out with telling me what pulleys to use. I know it's probably not worth the money and effort but this is just going to be an outside basher until I can figure out what to get down the road.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM
ToraKitsu

To be quite honest, CS'ing a chassis will require you to run on smooth surfaces. If you don't have access to anything clean and smooth, keep your chassis 50/50. I have a CS'ed Tamiya TA05 VDF, one of the first production run, so it's an old one, that's CS'ed at 1.60 ratio. CS'ing a chassis is not just about the pulleys and belts. There are a ton of adjustments that need to be made, to get it to drift right, and once done, the CS'ed chassis will take a LOT more practice to become proficient, than a 50/50 chassis would. The concept of countersteer is almost opposite to that of 50/50. A 50/50 chassis must be steered into drifting. A CS'ed chassis wants to drift right from a dead stop, and the principle is to control it while in motion, where a 50/50 chassis will straighten up of it's own accord. There is one good way to tell a CS'ed chassis from a 50/50...... without touching the steering wheel, accelerate a 50/50. It will accelerate in a straight line. The CS'ed chassis will begin spinning donuts. The actual costs of CS aren't all that expensive, it's the labor intensity, because the chassis won't drift well, just by bolting on a new set of pulleys and belts. If you don't have a good grasp of what adjustments need to be made, it can become a frustrating experience. Now, I'm NOT telling you not to get into CS, but as stated earlier, if you don't have access to a smooth, clean area to drift in, it's really not worth your time. If you do find an area like that, and want to CS, I can help. CS really is different, and will make you feel like you have accomplished something, when you get it right.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 AM
nikosfuse

hey I know its a bit of topic but im confused.so I have an 1/18 scale buggy and I switched to a huge motor so I have problems with my gears so I thought of doing a conversion or something like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5_CE...yer_detailpage but im afraid that if so that:1st what should I put to my motor shaft and what belt should I use??I think that im a leave the motor shaft naked the belt will just slip and it will not move the wheel if there is too much resistance any hep would be appreciated and again sorry for off topic question but Im new to ur universe and I cant find any thread that answers my questions
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM
mitchponton

Originally Posted by Chuckles_78
Has anybody tried this? Is it worth my time or should I get into something else? What are some good suggestions for a better car. Open to everything so feel free to share. Mostly an outside asphalt car because finding an indoor Orwell kept outdoor track are limited. Any and ALL info is welcome.

Thanks.
With the help of ToraKitsu I just did the Front Motor Conversion and I can say the car is much much better. I still have full steering angle and I'm working on getting more and I'm waiting for the parts to arrive to counter steer it. I'm also going to do some dremeling to get some more steering angle. Here is some pictures of the conversion and I will say this, the car feels completely different. Its not even remotely the same car I got really lucky with my steering arrangement and had some parts left over from my RC10T3. It was alot of fun to do and required a bit of drilling. I would recommend doing this without a doubt. Let me know if you need help doing this?