Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL NITRO DRIFTING THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

OFFICIAL NITRO DRIFTING THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 03:28 AM
Jman44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL NITRO DRIFTING THREAD

I just bought a smartech 2 speed nitro car(from e bay of course) for $180 including shipping, I thought it was a real bargain price since I wanted a nitro car that would fit my small budget. I plan on making it into a drifting car. I should get it in about a week so once I set it up I should be able to answer some questions about smartech cars and how they drift.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:29 PM
living my life

How do those yokomo tires work? I saw on tower they are rubber tires that have plastic rings, are the rings what helps the tires "loose grip"?

I know people use pvc, abc, and the yokomo tires but are there any other choices of tires for drift?
Old 02-13-2005, 08:49 PM
dsmfreaks

hey guys,,, first off great forum!... second i see alot of HPI.. i have a NTC3 and was wondering if anyone had any drift set up tips for a tc3?
Old 02-14-2005, 06:43 PM
WhiskyVR-4

ORIGINAL: dsmfreaks

hey guys,,, first off great forum!... second i see alot of HPI.. i have a NTC3 and was wondering if anyone had any drift set up tips for a tc3?

Right now I'm back to the ABS for my nitro drift as well, since I'm not interested in buying small expensive tires every week. For NTC3 I would just suggest tightening the rear diff a little tighter than stock. Most of your setup prefs will come from diff locking rather than camber or toe (unless you use rubber or yokomo tires, in which case camber is a big issue). And don't forget to tune your high speed needle for a safe temp while drifting. Just be easy on the gas and keep it rich and you'll be ok.

I don't know if I have gone over this before, but I tune all of my cars the same way, and it works equally well for drift-tune. Tune the high-end for temperature. Start rich and lean it out until you are hitting your max temp after long continuous use. Then tune the low-speed needle for acceleration and throttle response. Finally tune your idle. My low speed needle is pretty lean right now because my high speed is so rich to keep the temps down. My drift car idles fine for about 5 seconds or so, and then it starts to load-up and if I transition to on-throttle too quickly it floods and dies. This seems to be the nature of the beast if I want to keep the temps under 290 for drifting, and thats fine with me.

Just avoid donuts and other extended high throttle, low speed maneuvers.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:12 PM
dsmfreaks

sweet man thanks for the tips...what should i be lookin for in engione temps? i have a mip temp unit ..and wonder form your experiecne what were safe temps? also i have just finsished breaking in the AE .15 it came with any recomndations on fuel and nitro %????... sorry for all the questions but i havent been into nitro cars in a few years...
Old 02-14-2005, 11:31 PM
dsmfreaks

sorry for posting again but i am also lookign for anyone in southeastern Wi or noth ILL to do a lil driftin nitro or elc does not matter.. just lookin to have some fun
Old 02-17-2005, 02:23 AM
ko

wow its good to see this thread is still alive... i've been so busy lately i havent been on here in about a year maybe...

just wanted to say hi... HI! lol
Old 02-19-2005, 04:35 AM
ko

well i spent a LOOONNNGGG part of today converting my rs4-3 evo into electric (not permanent)... i used the motor mount from my old chain drive shumacher and a stock tamiya motor... i know i know this is the "nitro" drifting thread, but the car used to be nitro so i thought i would share my project with you all...

it drives/drifts great, i was using a tl-01 but the turning radius was way too short for me so i hope this car will last for a lil while untill i go and get a new car...

i'll try and get some pics for you guys... have fun!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:53 PM
WhiskyVR-4

Haha, good to see you again ko. I did the same thing, went AWOL for about 6 months, just got too busy.

Why did you convert your car to electric?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Mercruisin

hey, i did something like you did. i have an RS4 2 nitro chassis converted to electric. i made the motor mount as well as a bunch of other stuff myself out of 3/8 lexan. so it looks pretty sweet and its quite fast. but it weighs a lot becuase of all the crap i put in it for what i'm doing. lotsa batteries and lights and stuff. its not gonna win any races anytime soon. i'll post some pics when its all done. that might be a few weeks yet, cuz the hobby stores are so far away and they dont carry the stuff i need.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:32 PM
ko

to tell you the truth i just got bored one day after work and wanted to run my car in our shop but the owner didnt want the oil from the exhaust all over the place so that was my motivation...

i am thinking of buying an electric to drift with but i have no clue on what i want... i want tunability, lots of upgradable parts, ruggedness, good turnability, and shaft drive... i'm leaning to either tc3/4 or a pro4...

suggestions?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
plpat11lp

hey...i got a nitro 4-tec and i actually started watching alot of drifting videos...alot r electric and saw few nitros..also never seen a 4-tec drift.....i never really tried to yet cause been cold here in nj latly and starting to become warmer and im gona start buying parts now...but thing is i dunno if its worth it turning it into a drifter cause it may be horrible.....give me advice on my 4-tec!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 AM
TomECalm7

I'm having problems w/ my nitro TC3 as where it's loose in a left turn, but tight on the right. The suspension is even as far as the screws which adjust toe,camber,ect... Also the car likes to kick out on the right side when I accelerate. any suggestions to me would be nice
Old 05-14-2007, 01:59 AM
TomECalm7

couldnt you just use the cheap thin rubber w/ the foam underneath tires?
they usually have nice rims.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
GTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody use the D-Box?
The following users liked this post:
OGPerk503 (06-16-2020)
Old 12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
CokezRC07

Hi everyone!
Just wondering if any of you could help me.
I recently bought an RC car from America,Hopeing to have it before christmas.
I bought it from a site called Raidentech.com
The car is a CEN 73.4MPH CT5-5 Subaru WRX 2speed on road car.
Most of this means nothing to me since im a ..."Noob "[:-]
Lol,well,im hopeing to learn to drift with it very soon,
If any of you could have a look at the car (http://www.raidentech.com/cenctsuwrxra.html) it would be much appreciated,and if you could...rate it or give me some pointers on how the car runs and how good it is please,Also,is it hard to learn how to use them?

One last question....How big is a 1:8 ? or could somebody send me a picutre of a 1:8scale car in comparason to a human or something like that,realy want to see how big this thing really is.
Ok thank you very much!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:51 PM
madwelshy

Hi all, first of alli got to A BIG thanks to everyone on this forum for the info about drifting & setups, What a help its been.

I thought after reading this forum & watching vids on the net about drifting, Ill give it a go, so i got my old old ts4n out of the shed from a 5 year rest, I couldnt belive it it started with in about 4-5 pulls...(SHOCKED) after collecting so much dust..

i got it all tuned in on normal tyres & took a trip to b&Q got some abs & installed it on the rims.... WWWWaaa hhhooooo what a trip well funky,

im still learning but also doing some awsome drifting too. i think i gotto fine tune the setup of the car as having some handling problems, at times its pulling to one side & it seems to drift better one way then spin out alot the opposit so i ts all about tweaking now.
i've had no need to full throttle as doing ok upto mid range..

temps are running about 230 - 280 though the car is runing rich to help keep the temps down, one problem i am facing though is at times the engine bogs out now and then but it all depends on the driving.

Well thanks all again as now ive got the drifting bug! , but hey why not its Wicked....
Old 06-16-2020, 07:40 AM
OGPerk503

hey who turned off the lights!?!? XD i have a Redcat Lightning STR that i am converting into a drift machine. if your not familiar with this model it looks almost identical to the HPI nitro RS4 3. i have ordered the stubby front driveshaft, and the long rear driveshaft for moving the engine to Mid-Chassis layout. i have the stock VX.16 that came in the redcat, which has side exit exhaust, so for now i may have to peice together a header to allow the pipe to point backwards..idealy you would get an engine .18/.21 with rear exit exhaust, that way you have more header options since it is round instead of a small rectangular hole. im running Bones brew 25% nitro with OS#6 plugs. i have converted AAs to 5 sell nimh hump, i have redcat performance header and aluminum tuned pipe, i have Axial rear diff locker, i have 45 wt. oil F/R, rear shocks more upright and in close to chassis, front shocks laying down as much as possible. front camber all the way. front shocks have 1 extra hole drilled into the round plastic piece inside that holds pressur to allow more droop. rear shocks have a spacer in the spring. my tires are on-road regular treaded rubber tires, but on the harder side* if its moist out i can hold a drift circle fairly well, one way better than the other. figure eights are a little harder since the engine still sits in the back. i still practice tho! the plastic "drift" tires they sell for electric do not work for me, its like driving on ice theres literally Zero grip haha. if you can get your hands on the old HPI "type A" tires, run them, cherish them, dont ever sell them lol. not a whole lot of people are into nitro drifting its cool to see a whole forum on it. 12 years old, but still cool XD

Last edited by OGPerk503; 06-16-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:55 AM
OGPerk503

oooh i almost forgot, if anyone sees this, has anyone ran custom anti-sway bars on their nitro drifter? electro boys dont like them, but i have added/am still adding weight to mine. anyone have any experience? pretty sure rear sway bar would give front tires more grip, front sway bar giving rear tires more grip..so maybe a thin one in the back?
Old 02-17-2022, 04:33 PM
OGPerk503

2 years later and im still not done with the project haha. a lot has happened between then and now but now i am back at it! i have made the aluminum chassis with HPI drift specification, and have made custom driveshafts to accommodate the new layout. i am using the HPI drift rtr exhaust setup for now. i am using a Redcat Lightning STR as the base. all i needed to make was driveshafts, chassis, upper deck, and i will make new exhaust once i have a solid runner. The redcat is a 200mm vehicle, HPI rs4 3 drift is 190mm, so i will need to shop for 200mm bodies, or 195mm and get fender flares to accommodate the 9mm offset wheels i plan on running. HPI type-A tires are still in production ( the best nitro drifting tires) so proper tires are easy.

Is there another nitro drifting thread, or did everyone quit??
Old 10-11-2023, 01:15 PM
OGPerk503

Dead as a doornail, Smalls..
Yeah, dead as a doornail Smalls! ^^

Welp, Im back! and the project is finished!
Redcat Lightning STR, with a custom, self-made Drift conversion..

I call it..

REDCAT STR DORIFUTO.

unfortunately i haven't made 10 posts yet, so i cant put any pictures up.

NOT THAST ANYONE IS HERE, ANYWAYS!!

peep my youtube
Alex740GP

Old 10-11-2023, 01:16 PM
OGPerk503

Ill just go ahead and make another post, last one was number 9
Old 10-11-2023, 01:18 PM
OGPerk503

Old 10-11-2023, 01:22 PM
OGPerk503