Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

with tire is the best for drifting abc/ pvc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

with tire is the best for drifting abc/ pvc

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 12:38 AM
drifter X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default with tire is the best for drifting abc/ pvc

with tire is the best for drifting abc/ pvc i want to get good angle from with tire or pipes
Old 12-28-2004, 01:33 PM
joejoe22802

Default RE: with tire is the best for drifting abc/ pvc

Right now im using abs because i only have one set or rims but if i did have another set i would have stuck with eletrical tape i liked it beacuse im not that good and the grip relaly helped also when i decided to use my 15 turn i could hold my drifts for a long time with no control that is just in an open area but back to your question abs is a little grippier of somhing like that i woulnd't know becaue i havent tryed pvc but thats what alot of people say
Old 01-03-2005, 10:41 PM
S-10Drifter
Banned

I havent personally tried ABS simply because i couldnt find it ( AND I EVEN WORK AT A HARDWARE STORE!), but PVC works great as long as you understand that you need precise throttle and steering control. You cant just mash the throttle and crank the wheel over and expect to slide. Youll just start doing crazy donuts( which can be fun too.), but its not a drift.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:05 AM
BastardAle

ORIGINAL: drifter X

with tire is the best for drifting abc/ pvc i want to get good angle from with tire or pipes
as for which is "best", that is 100% user defined. One main thing, typically ABS (you did mean ABS right?) slides a little easier than PVC. I think this is due to the compound of the two, PVC is a bit softer providing a little more grip.

But to answer your Q. Which is best is up to you and the surface you're drifting on. If you're drifting on a polished concrete warehouse floor you may want PVC or even tape.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:28 AM
hpi drift fever

as far as i know it is ABS that is softer and has more grip. where PVC is a harder slicker compund.

personally i use ABS. alot easier. too much slip is not good. but in reality theres isnt a WHOLE lot of diff between the two. black abs looks better tho
Old 02-06-2005, 10:08 PM
drifter X

wow dident know you can use tape but i never try it i want to find out with is best before i buy it and use it.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Cloud15x

Hey guys and gals... What do you use to cut the PVC? A dremmel? Do you CA glue the PVC to the rim?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Cloud15x

Got it, lexon saw blade. Dremmel to smooth

CA?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:32 PM
DRIFT DEVILS | Cali Agent

PVC was the thing to use but ABS is actually better. And I think a 27T is more better only because you can control the drift better. I know you guys like doing long drifts and all but try setting up some cones and doing short controlled drifts.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Mercruisin

I'm in the process of making my own car. I had the aluminum plate laser cut at work, found an older HPI RS4 2 Nitro chassis and converted it. I got an LRP A.I. Automatic Digital ESC running a Reedy Spec 19T Quad Mag. I bought ABS and a second set of rims, so, in a few weeks i should be good to go drifting. Well, as soon as the snow is gone anyway. My JR XR3i will provide great control. The third channel will control the extra servo which will be used as a selector switch for controlling my plethora of LEDs ($400 woth of them off EBay). I'm hoping the extra weight i have in the frame will give me controlled, smooth drifts. I can't wait! It's gonna be the cat's pyjamas.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Mercruisin

I found a great way to make drift wheels. Cut the ABS pipe on a band saw with a fence, so theyre all the same width all the way around. Next, using a sanding drum and a drill press, or a reciprocating spindle sander, enlarge the inner diameter of your tire peices until the rim ALMOST fits into the pipe. Its very important that it doesnt fit in really easily and you'll find out why in a second. Sand the edges, or use your dremel to create a beveled edge on all the edges, so they're not sharp anymore. Put your rims in the freezer for about an hour before continuing, so they contract. Next, put the pipe peices in an oven or toaster oven and heat to 150 degrees celcius for a few minutes, or until you can start to smell plastic. This will cause them to expand, and become somewhat pliable. Take them out one at a time and the frozen rims should slide right in with little to no effort. You dont need to use any glue, so there's no mess, and no waiting. Just let them cool off for a bit and you'll be off drifting in no time. The only thing is, its pretty difficult to get the wheels off in one peice again. You'll likely need to cut them. So, you definitely need a second set of rims for this.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Cloud15x

Well I am using 24mm ofna dish rims since it was 6.49 for 4 of them. They fit right inside the PVC pipe but they will need to be glued.