Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

breaking in drift motors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking in drift motors?

or any motor i guess...

what is the "right" way to do it?

i heard u need to grab a fully charged battery and go full throttle until the battery wheres out?

ive also heard people using 2 x AA batterys with the motor until the batteries run out?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:19 PM

Default RE: breaking in drift motors?

Last I heard,
there is no break-in. \\

My friend Oido Jakasaku, championship drifter of D1, just oils his motor with two drops every three days after heavy racing.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:32 AM

It's not necessary for drifting but does make a difference if you're grip racing
Old 02-17-2006, 07:15 PM

so how would u break in a motor for normal racing?

Old 02-17-2006, 08:04 PM

get a motor break in station.. but if you dont do it the poor mans way lol give it full whack for about 15 seconds and keep droppng the rpm every 15 seconds... do this about 6 times until the motor has stopped and the motor should be broke in
Old 02-18-2006, 12:14 AM

get a glass (made of glass) some alcohol from CVS and a 3 cell battery pack. (1/2 voltage of real running) suspend the motor in the glass and fill the glass with enough alcohol to submerge the motor. attach your battery so the motor runs forward according to how you will run your car for about 15 - 30 minutes. take the motor out of your now grey alcohol and rinse with some more alcohol. then LUBE the berrings and you are ready to go. the alcohol floats all the particulate from the brushes wearing in, but also removes the oil in the berring points.

hope that helps. too slow
Old 02-18-2006, 09:47 AM

Depends what type of motor you're talking about, if it's a silvercan mabuchi 540 then it'll need 'water dipping' but for the newer motors with replaceable brushes just buy serrated brushes that bed themselves in

'Water dipping' is just that, glass of water, connect your motor to some leads then holding the motor (and I mean holding it) connect your cells to the motor wires, the motor will run under water, when the water turns grey, disconnect the cells, take out the motor and thorougly dry. Next, relube the bearings

If you try putting a running motor in a glass of water, you'll get wet! (been there )

If you try connecting the cells without holding the motor, it'll get wrenched out of your hand as it spins out of control (been there too!)
Old 02-20-2006, 05:43 AM

just a few questions, can i just power the motor from the car? (connected to esc and accellerating with radio)

and how much of the motor actually gets submerged?

like we talking half the can? or say up to the soldering where the brushes are?

if someone could help me that would be great!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:55 AM

yes you could spool up the motor with the radio and everything, but do you want to sitt there holding your radio for the life a a battery? You can just submerge the entire motor. Even the first bit of the wire leads is ok to be under water. Dispite alot of people thinking that water is a good conductor, it really is not. salt water is better because the salt acts as a surfactant- makes a liquid less viscous.

In response to RC-Drift UK - water does work well. I just use alcohol because i feel like it will float the particulate away better due to the nature of it being lass viscous than water. If you take viscosity to extremes which would you rather try to pour out? a glass of alcohol or a glass of mayonnais...

hope that clears up a little bit,

Too Slow
Old 02-20-2006, 05:11 PM

so i submerge the whole motor so only the power leads are popping out the water?
(ie, soldered connectors will be full immersed)
also, if im using my radio to spool up the motor, am i giving it full throttle underwater for the duration
of a full charge? or is it say half throttle for a fully charged 3000nimh battery?

btw i havent really broken in my current motor so is there any point to taking it out, cleaning it and then putting it
in the water? or has it already gone past the point where i dont need to break it in?
i have had the 11t motor for about 15-20 runs. if not im gunna buy a new motor soon anyways which ill deffinately break in.

thanks again!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:12 AM

Totally immerse the motor just like in these 3 articles:

http://www.rccartips.com/rc-electric...ning-guide.htm

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articl...ge_stocker.asp

http://www.hobbyworks.com/default.cf.../hs/Home/ID/21

I water dipped dozens of mabuchi 540's with a 4 cell pack it only needs to run for about 1 minute until the water turns grey, any longer and you're just wearing out the brushes unnecessarily

Kev