Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

HPI Sprint 2: Stage D; Review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

HPI Sprint 2: Stage D; Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:06 AM
randyfromtougeknights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Sprint 2: Stage D; Review

Hey guys,
well today I got super lucky and acquired the first Stage D Sprint 2 stateside. Before anyone asks any questions, please take note that the Stage D Sprint 2 will not be available until Mid October and will cost roughly the same as the regular Sprint 2. The Stage D Sprint 2 includes either a Toyota Trueno body or a Greddy 350z body (unpainted) and comes with premounted TE37's with the Advan Stage D A spec drift tires. I havent had much time to play with it since I have been at work all day, but from the little amount of playing I have done, IT WONT DISSAPOINT!

Once I get off work I should be able to take some pictures and what not and give a more detailed review! But at this point I have to get back to swapping a motor, so ill be back!

Heres the box if you guys are interested!

-Randy
Old 09-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Auslide
Banned

Default RE: HPI Sprint 2: Stage D; Review

My Sprint 2 Came with 3mm offset front Chrome TE-37's and 6mm Rear offset with a Toureza Body and X pattern Radials..

I belive the Drift package comes with the 20T Saturn vs the 17x2T mine came with?

The normal Sprint 2 Doesnt Dissapoint so the Drift Spec should be unreal..
Old 09-13-2006, 06:56 PM
PoweredByNitro

Nice ride.. HPI has to be my favourite RC company. You wouldn't happen to know anyone thats looking to sell the RX-8 Sprint 2 Stage-D Decals would you??
Old 09-13-2006, 08:38 PM
randyfromtougeknights

heres my review guys!
pics should be up thursday or friday!

As a member of Touge Knight Drift Team I have found myself in a very cool position with HPI RACING with access to some friends inside! I received a “press fleet car” to preview prior to its release for mid-November!!!

So the HPI RACING Sprint 2-DRIFT, what can I say, to be honest, I did not think it would be as good as my original Sprint 1 that I did a lot of tuning to, but I was sadly surprised. I’ve put hours into my Sprint 1, and know this car like the back of my hand with countless hours of both tuning and driving it. The Sprint 2 Drift in bone stock form handles as good as my tuned sprint 1!

So just what is this new Sprint 2-Drift package from HPI RACING? The Sprint 2 Drift is just that… a new drift version of the Sprint 2 Chassis. The main difference being, you get everything you want in one purchase! OK, everything you need at least, such as drift tires and a cool body! The Sprint 2 Drift will be offered with two choices, one with a clear Toyota Trueno (#753) or a clear Greddy Nissan 350z (#757). Along with the choice of bodies you are given a set of chrome TE37's(3mm offset) premounted with the much talked about HPI Yokahama/Advan Neova Drift tires. The Sprit 2 chassis is obviously updated from my old Sprint 1, with the greatly improved handling characteristics! The stock electronics that come with the car are much the same from the original Sprint 2, a Nosram ESC, Nosram 17x2 motor, and Airtronics Radio, servo, & receiver along with an 1800 Ni-Cd battery.

The most noticeable thing before you even get down to drifting is the weight of the chassis fully loaded with everything. Just holding the chassis, you could feel how light it was and when I weighed it, it came in at roughly 1450 grams. Once I had gotten over that, I began charging the battery and getting everything ready, the only thing I needed to do to get the car ready to drive was to put the antenna in its antenna tube and mount it to the chassis and put batteries in the transmitter. After that it was just a matter of waiting for the battery to fully charge.

Now I will be honest, I thought that I was immediately going to switch all my electronics before trying the car out. But my gut instinct told me to try it stock before I did anything. So the battery fully charged and I popped it into the car. I took off with the car and started to get a feeling for the settings on the car. When I attempted to do my first drift I was gladly surprised, the car easily did the 8 foot sweeper that I was setting it up for. At first I thought that it was merely a fluke of luck, but after being able to drift that same sweeper over and over again, I realized how good the car was. After messing around on the sweeper, I tried doing hairpin turns and it did those pretty easily as well, I was incredibly surprised at how fast the stock 17 turn motor was with power to make the Yokahama Advan drift tires slip out. The overall balance and the ease of drifting is truly amazing with the very stock Sprint 2 Drift car. After putting about five battery packs through the car, I have to say that it seems to drift quite easy AND just as well compared to my Sprint 1 that took me so long to tune for the chassis characteristics I was looking for in a drift car.

Overall I have to say the Sprint 2 – DRIFT package is really good! The car itself feels really solid and drives super well for being a RTR. With the price roughly hitting the streets around $250, and all the things included in this RTR and its overall stock performance, it’s sure to be a hit and possibly become the new standard of R/C drifting! I can only imagine that with its stock performance, this is only a prelude of what this chassis is capable of. But out of the box, and lots of time spent driving will be anyone’s best upgrade! Just like in the full size 1:1 drift cars!
-randy
Old 09-14-2006, 10:43 AM
FeintMotion
My Feedback: (1)

Nice! thanks for the review! Im picking this up when its in the USA. Sounds better than the Yokomo RTD package.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:05 PM
18ssmajor

OMG I WANT THAT SOO BADLY!! im hoping to just buy one asap. and how did you get one already? you work for them or sumt?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 PM
DynomyteSW

give us some shots [&o]
Old 11-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Flaming Tire

Uhh, I was just on the HPI website. The Sprint 2 Drift is on the website, but its identical to the origional Sprint 2 other than the drift tires. I would think that they would have made a new chassis or included a diff locking kit. I got all excited when I read this post, but its the same car I already have, just with a new name.