Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

tyco drift kings read yo

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:15 AM
BLACKHAWK DOWN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tyco drift kings read yo

ok, i picked up a tyco 4wd drift kings from work for about 30 bucks with the intention to mod it
to my suprise its better then i thought and has potential.
any one got tips on motor swaps and electrial problems i might run into and how to avoid them
im looking to run a brushless motor and esc and lipos
so i dont need the thing to blow up when im 20 meters down the street

has ne one delt with em?
they seem fun.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:25 AM
jetas454ss

Default RE: tyco drift kings read yo

To let u kno not many of us like the Drift Kings... They aint hobby grade so i doubt u kud do much to it. Jus wait for others to post so u kud really kno wasup
Old 11-22-2006, 02:07 AM
BLACKHAWK DOWN

i know u guys hate pos tyco toys but my hobby is actually making junk good
i would like to make a hobby grade car out of this junk
its a good platform i just wanna know if ne one has done it
what would make my board fry.
a little more weight, powerful brushless motor, 2200mah+ lipo battery, ezgrip tires.
along those lines.
i just wanna have fun rather then spending 400+ on a car + mods and dredding the day i snap it in two.
same thing happend when i flew rc helicopters
Old 11-22-2006, 08:57 AM
driftdriftdrift
My Feedback: (1)

HHHAAA brushless in a drift king?? you really want to destroy that thing?? Lets just go hypothetical here the most a tt-01 could take is what a 13t motor? thats basically a beginner hobby grade car, now drift kings are toy and low grade. if you put that brushless in it have fun rebuilding your drivetrain
Old 11-22-2006, 10:19 AM
BLACKHAWK DOWN

i find fun in it so.. ill be back when im done.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:24 PM
irishdrifter

First of all Yyco are toys (for kids) so why not buy some junk chassies from hobby cars for a few buks and do those up because it makes more sence and secondly as said before in other posts, brushless arnt really suited for drifting and driftdriftdrift is right, if a tt-01 wont take a brushless motor, i dont think a toy tyco will.
try it anyway but in my opinoin its not even worth tryin.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:55 PM
driftdriftdrift

ill give you an idea of what is probably going to happen, the bevel gears inside the diff are going to be toast and you're going to notice that the driveshaft is going to also look different.

still go with the brushless though. dont spend much more money on the drift kings chassis. get a decent chassis to handle the brushless power!!
Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Auslide
Banned

ORIGINAL: driftdriftdrift

ill give you an idea of what is probably going to happen, the bevel gears inside the diff are going to be toast and you're going to notice that the driveshaft is going to also look different.

still go with the brushless though. dont spend much more money on the drift kings chassis. get a decent chassis to handle the brushless power!!
And when this happens its a Throw away.. Good luck replacing parts on Tyco Drift King..
Old 11-23-2006, 12:10 AM
BLACKHAWK DOWN

u guys are way to serious on drifting.
im just doing it around my circle so i have nowhere going with this.
i got no intention to go to some drifting meet and drift r/c cars around with my "buddies"
just building something outta nothing seems like more of a challenge and hobby then buying the already probuilt car and spinning your 600 dolla car around.
ive already been through the hobby grade ****
had helicopters
trex and walkera
everyone bashed walkera and people from my fourm dedicated time to modding it and it flew better then the trex
so hobby grade and toy grade isnt issue.
build your own grade.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:31 AM
jetas454ss

Ok homie... So y bother askin if ur jus guna go off on us?? if ur frustrated thas fine. Go take it out on ur tyco. If u already kno that some of us dont like/hate the tycos y even post. Build u car up n show us what it can do aftr havin invested money into it. Do ur thang if u already kno bout R/Cs n post a vid wen ur dunskys(done) Sorry if i came off like an A--hole
Old 11-23-2006, 01:40 AM
Tim_B

I agree with everyone to a point...meaning I'm new to drifting myself...not r/c's in general, just drifting...But I have to say that no matter what model, toy or kit you use, you should first and foremost be enjoying yourself and I think that's what BLACKHAWK is trying to make clear. No doubt you would want a reliable car if you plan on spending some cash but if you're just going to "tinker" around, I think that shows alot of crativity considring the object at hand wasn't ment to be modded.

But anyway, yes, I agree if you're going into the sport for the "sport" then getting the best for you'r money is what should be done. And, yes, if it's just an occasional thing you're messing around with, the only way to have fun is trial and error.

Now, I know everyone on this forum for the most part has an xtreme amount of knowledge and tallent for the hobby so I would just like to make it clear that I DO NOT intend on "stepping on anyones toes"

Just my 0.02 cents

-Tim
Old 11-23-2006, 01:53 AM
jetas454ss

Timmy i agree wit u on the fact that yea jus have fun. I drift every now n then in on my driveway. but i still wana have a RC that i could jus replace one part if it breaks insted of dumpin the entire car. N no ones sayin for BHD to not tinker wit wat he bought. In the end its his money. I wish em the best of luck wit that project. But he mite end up goin hobby grade aftr spendin his money on parts. And we all kno that the steering on tycos jus turns all the way so u dont really get mych control durin the drift. I wana c one in action aftr its bin modded. il either be amazed or jus roll on the floor laughing....[>:] Neways.. Good luck on the Tyco n post pics wen u get started. I jus HAVE t c this happen...
Old 11-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Auslide
Banned

The Proof will be in the pudding

We have had so many people Go " I am gonna mod mi drift king Uleh!!"
Only for them to post 2 Days Later
" OMG My fulli Sik Drift King wont move , Can someone put the smoke bak into the circuit board thingy as tonnes came out when I put in my Fulli Charged IB4200 "

All I can say is, Sure it will be a Challenge and I really hope you do well Just dont spaz out when Your Drift King Mods dont work as we have already stated they are a Toy..and not a Hobby Spec Model..
Old 11-23-2006, 08:24 AM
driftdriftdrift

even if this is just a tinker around dealio, (i understand i like to do it too) brushless isnt something to be tinkering around with. if you're still gunna go through with the project think of a more relaxed motor like a 15t or maybe even a 10t. my t-spec when i gripped with it for a few days had some actually pretty crazy speed running with a 20t on slicks.

also probuilt? i dont think many of the drifters here are pro's (im taking it too literal) not trying to insult you or anything. Building is the best part of the hobby. Im guessing you like to build things, thats why we're trying to get your off the Drift King. though you'll be sliding in your circle, you'll want to take it on a high speed run at least once. things may get a little hairy(thus maybe a less powerful motor)

in the end its your money and your time so whatever you do with it enjoy it.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Tim_B

Thanks guys, In the last tree posts thats basically what I was going at in other words.

-Tim
Old 11-23-2006, 09:44 AM
BLACKHAWK DOWN

how much is an official stock tt-01
i will buy one and keep my drift king.
btw i dropped the "bruhless ideA" too much power i agree
more of a 540 motor of p2k2 motor.
as for the steering i have an extra 6ch rx that eisly runs 11.4v+ and a couple precision servos would do the trick'
ill try... even if i fail miserably i have the replacement plan. i take my parts out and redo it
so about spares.sorry if i seemd to go off on ne one
didnt really mean it
if this TT-01 is as cheap as u call it
ill check it out.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:49 AM
driftdriftdrift

you can pick one up from towerhobbies for $80. thats bone stock though.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:24 PM
BLACKHAWK DOWN

hmm, well if its that cheap
what "hop-ups" do you recommend...
i def want a fast car but the ability to drift
ne one know where on ebay they sell cheap?

the friggen drift king's motor is buried under the electonics.
and i might have to build a custom drivetrain to the frnt wheels so it can put more power to the frnt wheels
Old 11-23-2006, 04:53 PM
driftdriftdrift

aluminim driveshaft, ball bearings and ball diffs. you should be go to go after that. some people go all aluminum for thier tt-01 but if you crash chances are you're gunna tweak the part just enough so that it creates a problem. stick to the good ol plastic parts where its not absolutley neccesary.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Auslide
Banned

Ball Diffs arent essential modds for a TT-01, the Stock Geared Diffs do a pretty Good Job..

If Your gonna race a TT-01, Alloy Propshaft, Ball Bearings in the Drive train and Wheels and Oil filled Shocks are a must..

I run a TT-01 That I have Hopped up to a TT-01 R and it is a dream to race and Drift..
Old 11-25-2006, 11:01 AM
TRINITY_09

just get the tamiya tt-01r i think it is. comes with the upgrades, but needs a body. oh its like 135$ on tower.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:45 PM
NitroRX7

I have a Drift King car too, the S15, and I think you shouldnt mess with the motor. Its quick and just right for endless drifting...putting a bigger motor would ruin it all being so light. But they are fun as hell to mod. Mine is lowered and has a 3 tone paint job and I lowered the wing down cause it was way too tall. Ill post pics but other than cosmetic mods, id leave the rest alone. Good luck though.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Spartan-Drifter
Banned

lol tycos= 10 yrs and under hobby style=big boys toys
ORIGINAL: NitroRX7

I have a Drift King car too, the S15, and I think you shouldnt mess with the motor. Its quick and just right for endless drifting...putting a bigger motor would ruin it all being so light. But they are fun as hell to mod. Mine is lowered and has a 3 tone paint job and I lowered the wing down cause it was way too tall. Ill post pics but other than cosmetic mods, id leave the rest alone. Good luck though.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:49 PM
NitroRX7

Ehh whatever works....i still have my nitro car for drifting too.