Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Heat Problems, ouch

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:58 AM
infernox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Problems, ouch

Guys, ive been giving quite alot of advice (some good, some bad) in the last few days, but now i need your help.

I am running LRP GT3 17x2 motor, LRP Sprinter ESC (16turn max), deans plugs and Sanyo 2000Mah Nicd batteries.

I have a tamiya Heatsinc on the motor and the sprinter has its own heatsinc, the problem is, the motor is getting so damn hot i cant even touch it, yesterday after two batteries i burt a blister when i touched the chassis under the motor!!!!!!

what could be wrong, ive done everything, taken the heatsinc off and fitting a INTEL pentium 4 CPU fan on the motor, EVERYTHING. what could be wrong? is it the Esc's fault?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:01 AM
dorkymk3

Default RE: Heat Problems, ouch

i think you have too much load on your motor. try changing the gear ratio to something less of a load. or invest in a integy heatsink with fan. i run my motor for 25mins straight with a epic binary2 pro stock motor and 6c IB-4200 batteries and my motor is not even warm.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 AM
infernox

my gearing is 23/58 which i dont believe is too much... hopefully, i will have to invest in either a fan/heatsinc or a new esc.

if i get a esc which can handle 15turn motors, will that cool everything down a bit?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:30 PM
itsnotskidding

that esc should have a built in failsafe?... if it got 2 hot it would kill it anyway, get a set of 3300 or more batt pack, tornado do a cool 4200 stick pack that is cool, another to try is solder the esc straight to the motor, helps a lil, also have you got an allu motor mount?..i would suggest u check how tight the mesh is on the pinion gear, if that is to tight to the spur it can heat it up aswell... hope this helps...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:06 AM
infernox

thanx man, the esc gets hot but cools down very quick and the failsafe aint kicking in yet, so its safe.

the motor i cant touch for even a sencond, thats what im worried about, the pinion is not too tight, but i might go down to a 22 or 21 with the 58(on a tt01 is this possible?) to relieve some strain
Old 01-17-2007, 10:12 AM
itsnotskidding

yes you can, i run a 58t on my tt-01
Old 01-17-2007, 07:03 PM
C.A.R.

You have to remmember that when you use an R/c car it does generate a hell of a lot of heat. You may even remmember those stickers that Tamiya puts on their motors - they aint for show!

Once, when repairing a buggy in the shop one day, we tested it before giving it back to it's owner. It flew like mad, the guy had fitted a 15x2 motor, which is madness for big wheels. But it had an ESC with built in failsafe, which would turn off if it got too hot. It took the whole 3000MaH battery, (20mins!) and when we brought it in it was piping hot.

A great and simple test for heat is to lick your finger and wipe some saliva on the motor can. Count the seconds it takes to evaporate from the hot surface. If it's less than 4 on a Nitro car, it's running too hot. On this particular electric buggy, it had dried up before we got to 3! - We sold the guy a heatsink...

Chris.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:27 AM
infernox

ok its got a heatsinc... or i might just go for my 19 t motor again, which wasnt much cooler.

if i use a 20/21/22 tooth pinion gear on the 58, in which hole do i install those????
Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 PM
dorkymk3

they have instructions on what hole to install the motor to the motor mount for different pinion gears. just look in your manual, it should be in the begining of assmebly the kit.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:50 PM
infernox

not for the smallers gears like 20 or 21 only 19 22 23 24 25, and i kinda lost my manual
Old 01-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Auslide
Banned

I use a 19T with a 61T Spur on my TT-01, what ever the Stock Gearing is...

and that runs my 10x2T as well as my 17x2T GT3 Turbo without any heat issues..
Old 01-19-2007, 03:25 AM
infernox

i dont wanna run stock, they gearing gives me too much torque i wanna make that a little less by gearing higher and not setting my esc lower, which reduces all power
Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Auslide
Banned

In Drift, Torque is what you want

Thats why TT-01's make great Drifters.. They do have loads of torque but the Stock Gearing also offers a really good final drive