Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
 Newbie Needing Buying Advice >

Newbie Needing Buying Advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Newbie Needing Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Needing Buying Advice

Alright iv got a Monster truck and a buggy...now im interested in drifting. I want a Nitro Car thats decent. I dont want to go Cheap but i dont want to spend to much. Anyone have advice on what car i should get? Parts for it? Tires ect ect ect. Hope this isnt to much trouble, and yes i could probally have found a similar thred but im at work dont have time . Any help would be great
Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM
GTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie Needing Buying Advice

might get the new HPI rs4 3 evo+. Someone said to put it on ABS tires and have fun
Old 05-14-2007, 03:32 PM

alright sounds good i think i priced that one at 309 on towerhobbies ill wind up getting that at my local shop i have some friends that work there. Could someone link me to a set of tires and wheels for that one? Are they expensive? Wheels are expensive for my Truck.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 PM
GTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to buy rubber tires look at the Yokomo ones, if you son't want to buy tires EVERY week, just get some ABS pipe and make 30 sets of em.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:09 PM

ABS pipe? lol you mean you can make tires by just cutting pipe and gluein it to the wheel? lol hmm any pics of how to do this
Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 PM

I'll try to dig up some pics of it when I get home from work. Basically, run up to home depot, get a pipe and cut it to the diameter of the wheel. My buddy Omar makes and sells them to the general public. Here are some product pics to give you an idea.
[quote="oski83"]Thanks ...I should be finishing them up by this weekend and will post for sale to all members starting Monday so please let anyone interest to hit me up on PM.... :lol:

Ive taken some pics of each step I used...
Top left CUT, Bottom left ROUTED, Bottom Right SANDED, Top Right PREPPED/CLEANED, and Center is FINISHED ABS
Enjoy!

[/quote]

But, most of us use ABS cuz drift tires aren't exactly cheap. In competition, I use Yokomo single rings (as do a lot of people), but if I used them all the time, I'd be buying new tires every week. LOL. There's other options for rubber/hard plastic tires. HPI makes drift tires and there's 2 Japanese companies whose name escapes me right now that makes them as well. They're much cheaper, but after S&H, it isn't much of a price diff.
There's plenty of options is what I'm saying. Also, depending on which Nitro vehicle you end up buying, you might want to consider a hard rubber compound with elec-tape over the tires. ABS may provide too much slide and not enough traction for you. With a 19t brushed motor on an elec car, ABS is a bit sketchy and takes some getting used to. When I go brushless, I doubt I'll be able to use ABS at all...at least efficiently. But, we'll see.

Wheels are rather inexpensive. Just depends on what wheels you're looking for.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:02 AM

Could,nt have said it better myself![8D]
Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 AM

wow.. they do look good, acyually they look very good!!...
Old 05-16-2007, 10:05 AM

lol wow thax so much...basicly anwserd every question i had lol thax man Two thumbs up for you!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:15 PM

No prob man. Glad I could help. Happy Drifting.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:22 PM

What method are you using to get those rounded edges?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 PM

ya i was wondering the same thing how do you use a router to make the edges round?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 PM

I don't make'em. My buddy Omar does. If you wanna ask him checky http://www.groovydrift.com/forums or http://www.drccentral.com/forums . His name is Oski83. If you check the forsale/fortrade forums in either, you can ask him how he does it. There's actually quite a few people selling this stuff now. But, his prices are unbeatable and his quality and appearance are unmatched. And i'm not just saying that cuz he's a personal friend of mine. If you look at it, you'll be able to see for yourself. Even his "defective" ABS is better than what else I've seen out there. I actually have 4 sets (4 tires per set) of his defective ABS and some of his good stuff. If I show you his defective stuff and compare it to some other people's stuff, you will still have better quality from him.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Do you know how much he charges per set of tires? Search Sushi Drift on ebay its like 12 something for 4 sets of tires...and free shipping can he beat that?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM

He sells (2) Sets...thats 8 tires for $10 WITH SHIPPING INCLUDED to anywhere in the USA...
The price goes down the more you buy. Like I said, I've got 4 sets for 8 bux and our buddy Justin got like 8 sets for 20 or some rediculously good deal. The more you buy, the better you make out. He, like any business, will definately give good deals to repeat customers. But, you're also paying for quality of product.

Here's some more (diff style)
Originally Posted by oski83
Here they are in "Glossy" Black....let me know if this is how you'd like them...with and without Flash 8)

Honestly, that Sushi stuff ain't half bad. It's still better than a lot. Of course, I'd rather you buy from my buddy, but as long as you get what you need, it's all good. They got a pretty good deal. Good luck with whichever you buy. Happy drifting.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM

o wow nice...alright well ill def be talking to him then does he ebay em or just sell thur forums?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 PM

Right now, it's just through the forum or at events (forume would probably be best for you). He uses paypal. So, if you don't have that, you'll need it.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: teamhex

ya i was wondering the same thing how do you use a router to make the edges round?
Use a corner rounding bit, I know that sounds like a smartass answer, but that it how you'd do it. The bit would look something like this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?u...2095&page=2127

Of course you'd choose the right radius. I'd put the router in a table set up and run the wheels that way. With the right jig cranking out 100s of wheels wouldn't be that hard.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:51 AM

Are you sure you want to drift with a Nitro?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Neon_guy
Honestly, that Sushi stuff ain't half bad. It's still better than a lot.
Speaking from experience, since I have bought some Sushi's...The only difference I can see is that your friends goes one step further by spraying a coat of black paint.
That's nice and all but when you slide on that for the first time, all that paint will just come off.
I'd say go with the Sushi's since it's $12.49 for 12 tires