Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

drift car

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
arodbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drift car

i want to get a drift car but dont know what to get or what kind of surfaces to run it on, i am used to off road truck and what to try something different.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 PM
crzsteveo

Default RE: drift car

well first off youll be spending alot of money to get a good drift set up like if your running brushed or brushless stuff like that and youll spend alot of time getting the hang of drifting but i would recommend hpi sprint2 or maybe the e10
Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 AM
13BT

Just browse some youtube videos to see what other ppl use and on what surfaces they run on. A surface just needs to be flat and hard. A parking lot will do just fine.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
SSJChar

For a chassis, i say go with something from tamiya because you can get so many replacement/upgrade parts extremely easy online and possibly from your lhs.
theres the cheap TT01. Its super tough, probably the lowest priced chassis, and has a ton of hopup stuff. Out of the box though, its pretty fixed in terms of adjustability. I personally think its a great first car and i like the fact thats its not adjustable so that you can focus solely on how youre driving and not second guessing your car setup(as there is none). because its so low priced too you can still keep it if you want to get another chassis, and use the tt01 as a car people you want to get into the hobby to use.
a TB02 is another good one from tamiya. its also lower in price and is pretty similar to the TT01, though it comes with full ball bearings and an aluminum prop shaft. its also more adjustable and runs around 15 dollars more than the lower priced TT01s.
The E10 from HPI is a chassis that was recommended above, and is also good. its more pricey, but allows for a different motor placement that ads more weight to the front instead of the rear. Since it hasn't been around as long as the tamiyas, it doesn't have as many hopups.
There are other chassis, but i like those 3 since they are relatively well priced and are tough.
tennis courts are good surfaces because theyre super consistent throughout and don't have bumps.
It shouldn't be too expensive to get a good setup going. you can find a rolling chassis from 90-120 bucks(don't really need to get more expensive than that), or even a RTR TT01 for around 120. for a motor setup you can get one of those yeah racing brushless setups for around 80 bucks, and i'll assume you already have the radio gear. then its just batts and charger, though if you might have those too IF you were doing elec offroad with a 6 cell setup.

from rc mart, you can get a TB02($99.90), yeah racing brushless setup($79.90), lipo setup(1 batt, charger, and ac power supply $114.90, but you dont need the power supply if you just use a car batt(1 bat and charger) $82.99 or $113.99 with the charger and 2 batts) for $290. after that you need the radio gear, tires and a servo, but you should have the radio gear and servo already. As for tires, you can just get some ABS tubing/piping from the hardware store and cut yourself some tires, the tubing will cost like 5 bucks, and you get... many sets of tires.
If you don't want to go brushless or lipo, you will save alot of money(relatively speaking)
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
arodbasher

i am looking at two cars mainly right now the hpi e10 mazda and an exeed rc drift star, but i am afraid that that the drift star will be a peice of crap because it is only $99, but it looksjust like the e10 when it is drifting.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
FireFrenzy

I have an e10 and when i upgraded some parts with metal HPI replacement bits (alloy centershaft, alloy suspention tower bars and the ballbearings) i found that the screws could be of slightly better quality so i'd advise you to get a PROPPER screwdriver with the correct size (i didnt do either of these;P) but other then that its a cool car if let down slightly in the options and trinkets devision so if monumental tuning/hopup options are your thing the tt-01 might be better for you. That said i like my e10 alot and am eagerly awaiting its next bash with some mates...
Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM
SSJChar

I'd say go with the E10 over the driftstar because the E10 has a bigger(probably much much bigger) backing in terms of parts, and more importantly REPLACEMENT parts. the worst thing that probably happens to everyone is having a part breaking, and if you can't easily and quickly find replacement parts, either in stores or online, then it seriously sucks balls. being out for a month is big if you have an actual winter season in your country since it can potentially eat up 6 months of your drift season, and having to wait a month for a part is horrible. so whatever you choose in the end, make sure you can get replacement parts easily and quickly.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 PM
arodbasher

i was thinking that also. do you know if the drift star is good or a peice of crap not including replacement parts.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 PM
skeeter1255

Ide say go cheap first

Tamiyas make great begginser cars. The TT-01 or the TA05 i recommend

Then all you need is the electronics and the drift tires and your ready to go.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 PM
SIRCC

the only reason hpi's e10 rtr is better than the standard tt-01 is the 15t motor and radio it comes with
Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
skeeter1255

ORIGINAL: SIRCC

the only reason hpi's e10 rtr is better than the standard tt-01 is the 15t motor and radio it comes with
That is true also. but if you already have a radion then i still say stick with tamiya and all you will need is a ESC
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
arodbasher

so far i am likeing the e 10 more because of what ive seen on youtube.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:00 AM
AusDrifter18

the tt01 drifts better than the e-10 all of the cars in the D10 drift video's are TT01'S the reason i suggest the tt01 is also because its a much stronger car im in a drift club and one of the guys e10 just cant compete with a similairly setup tt01... the tt01 is almost un breakable and if it does break parts are readily available everywhere... now the exceed drift star's are cheap pieces of ****... there is no parts backing with them and iv witnessed first hand theyr **** compared to an e10 or tt01 - i looked into importing these to offload them on ebay and was sent one as a sample car... if you get 3 mates together i could give you a company's name where they would cost you $69 usd each if you buy four
Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 AM
arodbasher

CAN YOU BUY THE TT01 READY TO RUN OR IS IT JUST THE CHASSIS? plus i am just looking for something to get starded and to find out if i like it or not . i dont want to pay over$300 for a car.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
SSJChar

ya you can get the TT01 RTR. you can get one from the 'bay' from the seller named "modelstation" for around $155 shipped, which is probably one of the best prices you can find, though it doesn't include batteries or a charger. The seller is also in the US so shipping to you should be decently fast. Just do a search for TT01 +RTR on the 'bay' and you should find him.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 AM
SIRCC

TAMIYA TT-01 MODIFIED IS OVER ALL THE BITE FOR YOUR BUCK.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 PM
arodbasher

i cant decide to get the e 10, the tt-01, or the drift star.

her is what teh drift star looks like...[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1DVKU8trSc[/link]

vs. the e 10...[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caj1vgm5OIw[/link]

and then the tt01....[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmJr__WSQKA&feature=PlayList&p=7676601F1990D05F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=22[/link]

and thats why i cant decide.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 PM
SSJChar

I say just go for the TT01 because of its super strong design and hopup/replacements. its hard to judge videos because it depends on the driver alot.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM
AusDrifter18

dude you must be the type of guy who sees those shows where they try sell you somehing and buy's everything... those are made with camera angles and general tricks to make the product look awesome...
secondly try searching somehting better into youtube here are a few videos you might like 75% of these car's are TT01'S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZEa5...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rec6S...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Nft...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PGNFEvmvGw&feature=fvst
Hope that help's