Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Jacked up Slash 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacked up Slash 4x4?

Anyone had any experience and or pics with their Slash 4x4 jacked up a bit more either with larger tires and or suspension mods? I'm getting kinda frustrated with having to shelf my Savage Flux everytime the weather turns crappy and I don't wanna take the chance ruining a $800+ truck in wet weather.

I'm not too impressed with the Stampede 4x4 for a variety of reasons, i'd still rather have a Slash 4x4 Ultimate if I decide to get one for year round "screwing around" But the lack of shock travel isn't good as I like and I drive in some uneven terrain that typically is only reserved for monster trucks that a stock slash won't handle too well I think. Also, anyone every gone as far as to simply "rinse out" their Slash's under a faucet to clean the truck and then let it dry?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Jacked up Slash 4x4?

bearings are a big problem. I did some fun runs with my 2wd in snow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMEW5GJF4Y

I turned it upside down, let it all melt, light oil on all the screws, took apart the wheel bearings to lube in them as well.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Freezetron

I'd replace all necassary parts with stainless steel, bearings included
Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Haha, you're worried about ruining an $800 truck but you're talking about buying a $400 truck that needs $200 in upgrades and running IT in crap weather.

Dude, if you're that worried about running in crappy weather, buy a 1/10 2w buggy and race indoor.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 PM
alexchen86

ThunderBirdJunkie strikes again! Lol. Man I wouldn't mess with a Slash ultimate just to jack it up and make it more "monster truck." That's just not what it was built for....plus you'd have to gear it correctly if you're going to put bigger/heavier 2.2"s or larger sized wheel/tire setups on there. By the time you finish with that project I doubt you'd be satisfied with the looks or performance.

Just waterproof your Savage Flux. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Several threads on waterproofing servos, ESCs, and RX. The only thing I'd recommend is if you run in the rain either keep the TX under your shirt or in some gallon zip lock bag.

Bearings no matter what will get dirt/mud/water in them and you will have to do maintenance regardless if you're on road 247 or off road. There's always the easy way of just buying new ones and replacing them. Or the half ass way of putting them all in a bucket of WD-40 shaking them around and then relubing.

Or you could pop off all the seals take out all the little balls clean them with some degrease agent and reinstall/relube...pop the seals back in and you're good to go.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Freezetron

Don't give a rats ass what TB has to say, him and several other peeps are on my permaignored list. In any case, sounds like bashing in wet stuff sounds like its more work then its worth, even with traxxass products. My RC playing will have to hibernate until next spring
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

You must care, because if you didn't, you wouldn't have mentioned anything pertaining to ThunderbirdJunkie[&:]
Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 AM
deviltrigger529

If you're so concerned about messing up an "expensive" truck, lower your standards and needs and find a used slash 2wd and beat the snot out of that. If it snows, get some pro-line sand paws and the ski kit and you're set.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Casper06

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jpSW50cobs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Hope this helps just bash your Flux and do regular maintenance. If you are willing to drop the money on a Slash 4x4 save it and use that cash for upkeep on the Flux.

TBJ is just a little feisty sometimes. He just needs a couple chocolate chip cookies and some warm milk.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Brainanator

I second the "get a really cheap thing" idea. I had tons of fun with my slash 2wd in the snow.
Maybe even look at gettin the duratrax EXT2 or whatever the name it. put a cheapy brushless system in it, get some sand/snow paddles, and have some fun!

I don't how much continuous snow you guys get over there, but in Butte there are plenty of non-snow times throughout the winter that i go out and bash in.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:17 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Casper06
He just needs a couple chocolate chip cookies and some cold, cold, cold milk with little ice shards floating in it.
Fixed that for ya!

And Mom's oatmeal cookies are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than anything chocolate chip that ever existed [&:]
Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 AM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: Freezetron
Also, anyone every gone as far as to simply "rinse out" their Slash's under a faucet to clean the truck and then let it dry?

Any input would be appreciated.
That's just asking for trouble.

While the electronics are supposedly waterproof (more like water "resistant"), the manufacturer has make no such claims about the rest of the truck.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 AM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

I'd replace all necassary parts with stainless steel, bearings included
Just because it's "stainless" doesn't mean it can't rust.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Freezetron

Screw it, aint worth it then.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 AM
damuthrl

316 stainless wont rust...but i doubt anything you can get will be that. More likely 304 or 18-8 SS which definitley will rust.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

I second the ''get a really cheap thing'' idea. I had tons of fun with my slash 2wd in the snow.
Maybe even look at gettin the duratrax EXT2 or whatever the name it. put a cheapy brushless system in it, get some sand/snow paddles, and have some fun!

I don't how much continuous snow you guys get over there, but in Butte there are plenty of non-snow times throughout the winter that i go out and bash in.
Why I bought the $100 RTR Tamiya DF-02 bootled from target and flung like $20 in upgrades on it only (along with traxxas waterproof electronics). It has bushings and crap but I can care less about speed for a winter beater
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: damuthrl

316 stainless wont rust...but i doubt anything you can get will be that. More likely 304 or 18-8 SS which definitley will rust.
The thing is that people are under the impression that because they buy a stainless screw set for their car/truck that their "bolt rusting" problems are over, and it's not. Then they mention "stainless bearings," failing to realize that it's not the ball bearings themselves that are stainless but instead just the shields. So while it might not rust on then outside, yet will still rust on the inside. They also fail to factor in that most stainless screws aren't as strong as thetempered steel they're replacing.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As no one has answered it yet; the reason for not seeing any jacked up ones are -in my opinion- that it put an unneccesary big strain on the driveshafts and yokes because of the steep angles they get. Best thing is to keep the A-arms paralell to the ground, both for handling and drivetrain.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Casper06

ORIGINAL: RobbieP

The thing is that people are under the impression that because they buy a stainless screw set for their car/truck that their ''bolt rusting'' problems are over, and it's not. Then they mention ''stainless bearings,'' failing to realize that it's not the ball bearings themselves that are stainless but instead just the shields. So while it might not rust on then outside, yet will still rust on the inside. They also fail to factor in that most stainless screws aren't as strong as the tempered steel they're replacing.
Titanium screw kit solves that problem.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Or steel screws + stay out of the water.

Just sayin'
Old 10-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Freezetron

I'm still worried as hell about the diffs leaking all over the place like my REvo 3.3's did. The useless X seals kept ripping and tearing no matter what I did, even after Traxxas replaced all my diff parts
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 PM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: Casper06

ORIGINAL: RobbieP

The thing is that people are under the impression that because they buy a stainless screw set for their car/truck that their ''bolt rusting'' problems are over, and it's not. Then they mention ''stainless bearings,'' failing to realize that it's not the ball bearings themselves that are stainless but instead just the shields. So while it might not rust on then outside, yet will still rust on the inside. They also fail to factor in that most stainless screws aren't as strong as thetempered steel they're replacing.
Titanium screw kit solves that problem.
People also don't realize that titanium screws, especially smaller ones,tend to be brittle.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

How does somebody with so many worries even have fun with toy cars?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Brainanator

then just don't fill the diffs if that is your only concern with the slash.
Also, I think they are pretty easy to get to in this model (just from what a barely remember from when it was coming out).
Old 10-28-2010, 08:26 AM
RobbieP
Banned

Same way someone that talks about themselves in the third person isn't committed to a mental health facility, permanently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.