Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Sell vxl go sidewinder sct on 2s and don't look back
76.19%
Stick with vxl go 3s life 11t p and have fun in all kind of conditions
23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Vxl or Sidewinder sct

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 AM
DS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vxl or Sidewinder sct

Exactly as the title says. I have been doing heavy research and still can't pull the trigger. I have a brand new slash 4x4 with a vxl. Ok now i want to run 3s lipo...2s don't seem powerful in these slash 4x4's [&o]but researched and found there to be tons of issues with heat. So i steered cleared of the 3s and was going to go with 3s life ( i have a capable charger and love the benefits of these batteries) which has a lower voltage then a 3s lipo But then i seen the new sidewinder sct 3800kv combo. 4pole motor more torque and run 2s lipo which is cheapier the 3s life and i would sell the vxl 4 that and buy an outerwear shroud becuase they a water repellent....... So i am debating on what to do because I want to run in the snow and wet but unfortunatly the vxl is the only one that can but other people said its not worth it. I had fun in the snow with my emaxx as long as it wasnt deep snow.... So im in a hole here with very little 2 no advice im counting on you guys at rcu to help me out
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 AM
AL3xGR

Default RE: Vxl or Sidewinder sct

SCT combo is way better in my opinion.I heard that it has amp capability close to Mamba Max esc.The motor is just perfect.You can't find a motor that is better than a Neu.It will have more torque than VXL for sure(since it's 4 pole too...)And the price is unbeatable too.ESC,motor and a cooler for the motor only ~120$. 
Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i couldnt pick one of your choices, just run the vxl on 3s lipo!
if you have the ESC fan, and dont have anything blocking airflow you should be fine(provided you dont overgear)
plus, if the ESC should fry, traxxas is awsome about replacing them for free.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:33 AM
AL3xGR

If you have more torque you can gear higher.You will have less weight too with 2s battery.
You can't compare something to the quality of Neu and CC
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Justin B
My Feedback: (8)

The Castle SCT system isn't rated for 3s in a 4x4 truck with the included 3600kv motor, only 2wd.
Check out post #134.
http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/s...t=12943&page=7
Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM
DS

Could I use an outerwear shroud on this system and run in the snow once in a great while?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Cleared2Engage

I'd just keep the gear you have on there. It works well. The only reason I upgraded my VXL ESC was because I fried it somehow. That was my excuse to buy a Mamba Max Pro for it. I'm still using the Velinion motor and it rocks even on two cells. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Save yourself some worry, get out there and have some fun.
P.S.- This is solely the opinion of Cleared2Engage
Old 11-05-2010, 07:22 PM
prestonlal

i have been running the VXL 3s on 3s lipos for over a year now with no problems...gearing is 52/18. no overheating problems as i have the heatsink fan on the esc as well as a heatsink fan on the motor. i running this in a converted HPI Super Nitro Rally. Both the Esc and motor is water proof so as long as you can waterproof your receiver and insulate the battery connectors, you should be good for snow or rain...
Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 AM
ScottStaypuff

Here's something worth considering:
http://www.castlecreations.com/promo...clearance.html

Get a $75 Mamba Max ESC and a $60 1512-1800kv motor. I bet you could gear it up to run decently on 2s and then go 3s for extra speed without much heat. Disabling the internal BEC should allow you to run 4s.

You might want a motor fan to go with it:
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_blower.html

The motor comes with a pinion but I would double check to make sure that its the correct pitch.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Cleared2Engage

wish I would've seen that a few weeks ago.