Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Turnigy Accucel 6

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:44 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy Accucel 6

My father in law is into r/c pretty heavy now and my wife said she wanted to spend about $30 on him for Christmas. He has been dying to get a charger that will charge 2 NiMh batteries at 1 time.

So, i thought why not get him an Accucel 6 when I order from hobbyking. That way if he ever goes to LiPo there wont be a problem and he can charge up to 15 cell NiMh at 1 time. Ill also get him the 5 amp power supply, which i know isnt overkill, but it should work for him until he wants to upgrade the power supply. So, my question is:

Can I just make him a charge adapter with a split end with 2 connectors in parallel so that he can plug 2 batteries in and charge them both at the same time? Are there any problems that come with this? And Im assuming if you charge 2 batteries on the 5 amp setting, that is similar to charging a single battery at 2.5 amps, correct?

Thanks!

Eric

Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Turnigy Accucel 6

Parallel charging NI packs is a bad idea because of the way voltage drops at end of charge. If the two packs required the same amount of capacity charge then they can be done in series with good success. Instead of hooking the pair of + and the pair of - together , the series connection hooks from charger+ to one pack's + and charger's - to the other pack's -. The remaining + and - are hooked together. (one large series wired pack)
Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

I'd also wire them in series. The reviews for the 5A PS are TERRIBLE, so I wouldn't even risk that....I've had the Accucel 6 for a little over a year now, and it has worked flawlessly for me from NiMH, to NiCd, to Pb, to Lipo and Li-Ion.
But.....I just picked up [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15167&aff=147258]HobbyKing ECO6-10 200W[/link] charger, and it is a beast! I got it from the USA warehouse too, so it took 4 days to get to my door with $5.38 shipping.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I'd just get 2 charger IMO and spend a few bucks extra, and wire a old PC power supply to use as a power supply for it.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
cummins driver

He already has 2 chargers, but he wanted one that would charge 2 packs. I guess for a little more ease of use. Our budget for him isnt going to allow me to buy him a nice power supply. Ill buy one of those power bricks and when that gives out on him he can buy me the stuff to build him a PS, or buy a better one though.

Thanks for the info on charging! Ill build him a series adapter and he will be in business[8D]

Eric
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 PM
cummins driver

Ok, well the charger is here. I ended up getting this charger from hobbypartz since shipping for the Accucel 6 was going to be way high. This has nothing but good reviews, and it looks really nice.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

Anyways, I also bought a power supply from ebay since the hobbyking supply doesent even have 1 good review. I thought it had a few good reviews, but i guess i was wrong I bought a 5a 60w power supply off of ebay, so hopefully it'll last a good while.

Anyways, im gonna make the series connector tonight. Just need to know a few things.

- If I am charging two 2000mah batteries, what amps should I charge at? 2 amps like normal, or would 4 amps be the equivelant?

Thanks for any help!

Eric
Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 PM
guver

charging in series uses the same current for all cells in the circuit. The only rule for series charging is that all cells must "require the same amount of capacity"
Old 11-19-2010, 09:00 PM
cummins driver

Ok, i think im overcomplicating this.

Two 7 cell 3000mah batteries in series would be exactly like a 14 cell 3000mah battery, so it should be charged at 3 amps, correct?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 PM
cummins driver

Will it be harder on the power supply charging 2 batteries at once as opposed to charging 1 battery. I didnt know if the extra voltage of the packs would put more strain on the power supply or not. Im only charging at 3 amps, and the PS is supposed to be able to deliver 5 amps, and 60 watts at 12 volts. I have 2 batteries charging now, so hopefully nothing explodes.

Eric
Old 11-20-2010, 08:27 AM
genitor

You will be pushing the power supply to it's limits according to my calculations which i'm too lazy to write down right now.
Get two power supplies or one that can handle about 10A to be safe.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM
cummins driver

Could you get 2 power supplies, and tie them in parallel and run them into the charger with 1 plug? Im assuming that would up the amperage and keep the voltage the same?

Eric
Old 11-20-2010, 01:05 PM
guver

Yes, twice the voltage is twice the power. A 60 watt ps with a 50 watt charger is a good combo to me.

ps All my stuff gets maxxed out 99% of the time. That's just the way I am. [X(]
Old 11-20-2010, 01:30 PM
cummins driver

I tried charging 2 batteries at once last night and the PS got pretty hot. I shut it down and charged 1 battery at a time with it after it cooled off and it all seemed normal then. Got warm, but not hot. Im just afraid the power supply wont put up with charging 2 batteries at once for very long. lol Might just have to tell him to stick to 1 battery at a time until he buys a power supply for me to modify for him. I might hook my power supply to it and try charging 2 batteries again to see how it works with a good power supply.

Eric
Old 11-20-2010, 02:16 PM
guver

Or you can cut the rate in half.