Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help a Noob

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 PM
godofcable
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a Noob

Ok, need some help. I broke a friends truck, and want to get the parts to fix it. I just don't know what all to get. I took pictures of my truck where I broke his. It is a 2wd Slash, with a brushless. He let me try it (never again) and I was just going in a straight line, half throttle, then full throttle when "whuuuurrrrrrr" no more go go...

I know it as a universal joint on a full size car's driveshaft. I'd love to get one thats stronger than stock, but no luck. Anyone kn ow of someone that makes a steel replacement?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Help a Noob

ORIGINAL: godofcable

Ok, need some help. I broke a friends truck, and want to get the parts to fix it. I just don't know what all to get. I took pictures of my truck where I broke his. It is a 2wd Slash, with a brushless. He let me try it (never again) and I was just going in a straight line, half throttle, then full throttle when ''whuuuurrrrrrr'' no more go go...

I know it as a universal joint on a full size car's driveshaft. I'd love to get one thats stronger than stock, but no luck. Anyone kn ow of someone that makes a steel replacement?

couple of things here:
thats not brushless. that is a xl-5 with a titan 12 turn brushed motor.
it is alittle strange that you broke a stock driveshaft with a brushed motor. i broke them alot when i had a brushless system on my truck, but then thats alot more power.

honestly, just buy a pair of replacement shafts. should run you $15. if you HAVE to have metal CVD(constant volicity drive) it will cost more like $40-$50.

also, in the pic, it doesnt look broke? can you pull it apart where circled?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 PM
godofcable

i should have elaborated a little more. These are pictures of MY truck. We both have 2wd slashes. His is brushless, and it literally snapped where I circled in the picture. I don't have pictures of his truck, but needed to know what parts to buy.

So, if I buy a pair of driveshafts (can only seem to find them as a single unit) it'll come with everything we need? No other parts are needed?

For instance, this? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L5YSP702&P=6

these are for a 4x4. will they fit a 2wd? Might be a little stronger than the 2wd.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

OK, that makes more sense.

i dont think the 4wd's shafts will fit, as the diff outputs look different.

here is a stock replacement set off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Rear-Dri...item2eb0f4de26
Old 11-22-2010, 11:33 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

scratch that, here is the same thing but cheaper: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRAXXAS-2WD-...item255ee77a64
Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 PM
godofcable

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

OK, that makes more sense.

i dont think the 4wd's shafts will fit, as the diff outputs look different.

here is a stock replacement set off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Rear-Dri...item2eb0f4de26

Ordered! thanks for your help!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
deviltrigger529

If this is your first time changing those its going to be a royal PITA and takes some practice to get it done. Get out the flat tool that has a little notch in one end that came with either of your trucks, thats the tool to change the output yokes/stub axles.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Tell him to take better care of his truck, your'e not a noob, he is for not taking good care of it. Buy the parts and tell him to clean it (fully take apart) after every 2 months. I do mine after every day after my offroad races.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM
godofcable

i felt really bad about it. I just wanted to see the difference with the brushless powerplant. It was after the races were over, out in the parking lot. The thing absolutely flew for two passes back and forth. I couldn't keep it straight when I would first take off, so I was trying to feather it off the line, then ease into the throttle some more. On the third pass it just finally went.

Parts should be here Friday or Saturday. Thanks for your help as usual everyone!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:21 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: godofcable

i felt really bad about it. I just wanted to see the difference with the brushless powerplant. It was after the races were over, out in the parking lot. The thing absolutely flew for two passes back and forth. I couldn't keep it straight when I would first take off, so I was trying to feather it off the line, then ease into the throttle some more. On the third pass it just finally went.

Parts should be here Friday or Saturday. Thanks for your help as usual everyone!
not really your fault just normal wear and tear.
His racing probably was more at fault for it breaking than your 3 speed runs.
He should be happy if he races that it gave out when it did, and not in the middle of a race.