Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
mfroot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless help please

Ok i just ordered a losi 8ight-e 2.0 I am very new to electric have been running nitro.1st thing the kv rateing i see on motors like 1700kv or 2200kv what does this mean? Also what esc motor combos is everyone running and not having problems with.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Krazy Chicken

Default RE: Brushless help please

the kv is basicly rpm per volt. so you take the 2200 kv motor and multiply it by say a 6s battery which voltage of that is around 22.2. and the total rpm's the motor will spin is 48840 rpms
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM
FoamyVictim

The Kv rating is what tells you how may RPMs the motor will turn based on the voltage you choose. A higher Kv rating means more RPMs, at the expense of torque. High Kv motors can make smaller batteries work "ok" However, when you go with Lower Kv, and Higher Voltage, you can make the same speed more efficiently(whole system runs cooler too). That's why I run the Castle 2200 Kv system in my 8ight E on 4S(14.8V) This puts my RPMs right around 30K, pretty close to what a good nitro engine does. So it has the same speed, just way more torque.

This brushless system:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-2200kV

and this battery:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11932
Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
mfroot

Thanks so much that was a big help now i see sensor ans sensorless whats the diff between the two. Also coming from nitro how is the buggy going to have brakes and will it be front and rear and can the bais be adj i like more to the rear i am asking stuff i should know and just don't thanks again for the help.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Krazy Chicken

sensored know exactly when to fire the charge to spin the motor, sensorless doesn't, it kinda guesses. sensored is more towards rock crawlers. but both work.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
FoamyVictim

The brakes are through the motor, so you will no longer have brake bias.(unless you rig a servo in there, but really... its not worth the hassle) It took some setup and driving line changes, but I adapted. I held the track record for fastest lap in ANY class, despite the fact that a couple pro level nitro guys race here. They have brake bias and can shoot through some of the tight spots faster. I make up for it by jumping OVER them, and smoking them any and everywhere else. They have an average of 1-2 HP... I have nearly 4.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 PM
mfroot

Foamy Thank you so much you have been and a bug help also will i still run the receiver batt pack or will it run off the car lipo. I use a spektrum 3100.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:18 PM
J.D.T

most speed controls have a BEC which knocks the voltage down for your servo and receiver, you can buy seperate BEC units for $15-50 to keep the heat out of the speed controller, some like leaving the factory unit alone and just depend on it, for 4s on a mamba monster I wouldn't worry about it, on 6s I would have a seperate unit.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:37 PM
mfroot

I am learning so much. Thanks for all the help Will all of the a arms and things like that be the same for losi 8ieght-e and the losi 8ieght nitro car.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Krazy Chicken

that is real nice. he isn't the only one
ORIGINAL: mfroot

Foamy Thank you so much you have been and a bug help also will i still run the receiver batt pack or will it run off the car lipo. I use a spektrum 3100.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
mfroot

chicken i am so sorry i worded that wrong everyone has been a big help i have leraned alot from all of you and still have so much to leran thanks to everyone.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Krazy Chicken

lol it is fine, i was giving you a hard time.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 PM
mfroot

LOL its ok
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will love brushless, instant torque, clean, doesn't annoy neighbours, practical similar or better peformance than similar nitros.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM
mfroot

I am looking forward to it just got alot to learn i still have all my nitro stuff i will still run it some but can't say i am not looking forward to the new brushless. I will ask for more help what servos will work with my spektrum receiver.i run jr z650m on my nitro what other servos will work what type of plug do i need to lokk for.