Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Cooking Tamiya plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooking Tamiya plugs!

Wow, finally got to run a good charged pack in my new XXT with a 17T mod motor, and does it ever fly but when I run it for long it burns the Tamiya connectors to a rusty brown color and spreads the pins loosening the connection. I replaced with a fresh set of Tamiya connectors and the same result after another run, is this normal? I should consider switching that ESC to Deans connection. I'm using a Traxxas XL-1 ESC which limits to 17T, but will be getting a better ESC for it soon.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:07 AM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

I would definitely switch to Deans connectors.

I had a similar situation to yours. I started out with Stock class motors and had no problems with the Tamiya plugs. Then I switched to a 17 turn double and after about 10 runs melted my Tamiya plugs together. I didn't even bother to put a new Tamiya plug on it and went straight to Deans. I haven't had a problem since.

The nice thing with Deans is you will get more punch out of your battery due to a much better connection. The brown that you are seeing in your Tamiya plug is the arcing of the connection and that's the heat residue left over inside of the plug. That arcing is costing you battery life and power.

Go Deans, they are cheap and well worth the extra cost.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:07 AM
Me+RC=$$$

Yea, as soon as you get batteries ditch the Tamiya plugs!!! And to keep the battery cool, disassemble the batteries and make them side by side. The tubing they are in will make them very hot, and doing this will keep them much cooler!
Old 08-10-2003, 01:08 AM
Kuma

Yeah that's what I thought, this is the first time it's ever happened to me in 18 years of R/C, and I use Deans on some other elecs and they're fantastic. I've a couple unassembled 3300s and a 3000 matched pack coming and will put Deans on all of them.

But I gotta say, when connections and battery life are good...the 17T with the gearing makes it wheelie, even when landing from a jump! This is the fastest 17T RC I've seen, and keeps up with the nitro MT and 11T XX-CR.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:04 AM
haispeedRaCer
My Feedback: (3)

hey there..could you please tell me what name brand that motor is?(reedy,trinity,etc)thanks

p.s. nevermind i see it in your signature...heheh