Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

deans connectors on a 1/5th scale?!? lmao.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deans connectors on a 1/5th scale?!? lmao.

50amp rated connector on a 200amp esc?

and then the clown wonders why his esc fails?

some people shouldn't be allowed near high current escs.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
FoamyVictim

Default RE: deans connectors on a 1/5th scale?!? lmao.

Not exactly funny... I wonder what connectors Castle recommends for a beast like that.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

its not funny, its utterly retarded.

I assume CC would recommend some of their bullet connectors:

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbullet.html

most likely the 8mm, rated at 300amps,

slightly better than 50amp deans.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 PM
FoamyVictim

A hard Lesson Learned... hopefully.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 PM
sloppyG

I'm surprised the electrical tape didn't save it
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

A hard Lesson Learned... hopefully.
to be honest, I highly doubt he's learnt anything.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Uh, the ESC won't fry from having a Deans on there. Most that will happen is the connector will get hot.

If Deans are only rated for 50a, and that's such a big stinkin' deal, why does HPI put them on all of their brushless 1/8 scales? Ya know, the Vorza and the Savage Flux? The MMM/2200 combo or the MMP/2350 combo can pull well over 200a.

This wasn't a Deans issue, and if you think it was, you're a fool

Also, were they real Deans, or those crappy Chinese knockoffs? There is a very big difference in quality, fit, current handling, and materials. ThunderbirdJunkie has seen the cheap ones fail in 13.5 buggies...and the casualty of the ESC is usually from a short caused by the plugs, and the battery is usually toast afterwards, too.

Seriously, though. As many Tamiya plugs as ThunderbirdJunkie has toasted over the years...he's never toasted an ESC because of it.

Also, what kind of MORON sticks electrical tape around bullet connectors? Not defending this idiot at all, but the blame rests squarely with something, and it isn't a quality connector.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:14 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Uh, the ESC won't fry from having a Deans on there. Most that will happen is the connector will get hot.

If Deans are only rated for 50a, and that's such a big stinkin' deal, why does HPI put them on all of their brushless 1/8 scales? Ya know, the Vorza and the Savage Flux? The MMM/2200 combo or the MMP/2350 combo can pull well over 200a.

This wasn't a Deans issue, and if you think it was, you're a fool

Also, were they real Deans, or those crappy Chinese knockoffs? There is a very big difference in quality, fit, current handling, and materials. ThunderbirdJunkie has seen the cheap ones fail in 13.5 buggies...and the casualty of the ESC is usually from a short caused by the plugs, and the battery is usually toast afterwards, too.

Seriously, though. As many Tamiya plugs as ThunderbirdJunkie has toasted over the years...he's never toasted an ESC because of it.

Also, what kind of MORON sticks electrical tape around bullet connectors? Not defending this idiot at all, but the blame rests squarely with something, and it isn't a quality connector.
Agree worst case scenario that would have happened if the power connector failed is the plug would have melted, and the leads would have shorted causing the lipo to puff (or worst case ignite). ESC would have remained undamaged(unless the battery ignited than thats something else)

This was a CC ESC failure
Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

actually, on transients of current, the added voltage drop because of the deans connectors will result in the ESC heating up a lot more than it should.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

lol, I just found this quote of a quote:

With the talk about poor LiPos recently this quote from a Castle tech on another site seems appropriate.

One of the most common causes of catastrophic failures in ESCS is using inadequate batteries or inappropriate plugs (too high resistance) between the battery and the ESC.
I would never, ever, be using deans on a 1/5th scale esc, its just ridiculous!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Thats great, he found a quote on the internet to prove his point lmao

I can show you anything I want, and support it with quotes from the internet. Experience talks much louder than opinion

ORIGINAL: TheyDontWantMusic

With the talk about poor LiPos recently this quote from a Castle tech on another site seems appropriate.

One of the most common causes of catastrophic failures in ESCS is using inadequate batteries or inappropriate plugs (too high resistance) between the battery and the ESC.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

that only seems to be true to castle ESC's so they can void the warranty, and claim it wasn't their defect that caused the issue

Not read anything similar from Novak, or any other brand on the market
Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Sorry, dude, but you don't understand electricity.

If you hook up a 2600mah 10c battery to the ESC, the ESC is not going to care. It's going to draw what current it can, and kill the battery.

Same thing goes for the plug.

If what you're saying is true, ThunderbirdJunkie would have killed several ESCs back in the day running Tamiya plugs and 8 cells/low turn motors. But he didn't, unless it was from over-voltage.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 AM
FoamyVictim

It sounds like the connectors were overwhelmed, then melted, which led to a short and killed the ESC.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

It sounds like the connectors were overwhelmed, then melted, which led to a short and killed the ESC.
short won't kill an ESC from the battery side...
If it sorted the electricity would take the path of least resistance, and go straight back to the battery, and never get near the ESC. If you want to do an experiment get a LED, and hook it upto 3V's now short it. You will notice the LED goes out, and doesn't explode. You will also notice the battery gets warm.

Only short that would be able to kill the ESC is if the motor leads shorted.

As much as I don't care for deans connectors that was not the issue in this case

IMO its more likely the ESC failed and started pulling an assload more current than it should which in turn caused the Deans connector to melt
Old 04-26-2011, 04:39 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

that only seems to be true to castle ESC's so they can void the warranty, and claim it wasn't their defect that caused the issue

thats because other manufacturers assume their users are intelligent enough not to use deans on a large scale rc.

as I said already, under rated batteries or under sized connectors CAN cause an esc to fail.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Proof? Traxxas puts NiMh batteries in with the ERBE. Haven't heard of an ESC getting smoked in one of them because of crap batteries.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

thats because other manufacturers assume their users are intelligent enough not to use deans on a large scale rc.

as I said already, under rated batteries or under sized connectors CAN cause an esc to fail.

now here is a question how much do you understand electronics?
Is it just based on what some manufacturer spouts on the internets so it must be true?
OR is it based on electronic theory, and the study of semi conductors, capacitors, and all the other components?

I'm guessing its based on the internets option I said from your answers

I know all about why castle blames the batterys due to voltage spikes but guess what THEY HAVE ONE OF THE ONLY ESC'S THAT I HAVE READ ABOUT SUFFERING FROM THAT ISSUE
IMO its more they went cheap on the capacitors, and instead blame the consumer for shoddy engineering.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

nope, I work in electronics assembly, I've been "playing" with electronics since I was 5, and have had two escs fail due to insufficient current!

so not only am I basing my statements on what others have said, but also on theory, and practical!

thanks for your useless input though, much appreciated.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:38 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

TDWM, you seem to "know" a lot about "things".

Are you sure these ESCs you had fail weren't from not enough current from the battery, but from too much current being pulled through the ESC by the motor?

Again, are you trying to tell us that Traxxas NiMh 7 cell batteries are capable of supplying enough amperage to a Castle MMM, but Zippy LiPos are NOT?

Seriously, dude, get a clue.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

*shrugs*
Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie must be important if TDWM needs to post a really big image letting ThunderbirdJunkie know he's been blocked.

Just sayin'
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

nope, I work in electronics assembly, I've been ''playing'' with electronics since I was 5, and have had two escs fail due to insufficient current!

so not only am I basing my statements on what others have said, but also on theory, and practical!

thanks for your useless input though, much appreciated.
yea... soldering electronics makes you an engineer... no... You are a hobbyist in electronics. Go take 3-4 years of electronics engineering courses, and come back and post that the CC explanation is valid

Next I guess people who work at the ford plant will say they know all about how the vehicle works, and can say how aero dynamic it is from their experience

But one thing stays constant a short = no voltage on anything with the slightest bit of resistance. The batteries would take the dump from not enough current not the ESC. Go run a crappy nimh in any Brushed ESC the battery will get insanely hot, where as the ESC will be cool.

Only theories I can even remotely come up with would be the connector melting, and the wire shorting, and opening rapidly. BUT with that much current they would friggin weld together.
Or the wire disconnecting, and opening and closing the circuit rapidly could spike it. BUT if CC put proper capacitors on their product that would not be an issue seeing they are there to absorb spikes...

This issue from a few different posts I've seen sprawled on a few sites is not unique to that ESC I've also seen the same issues on the 1/8ths.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

Only theories I can even remotely come up with would be the connector melting, and the wire shorting, and opening rapidly. BUT with that much current they would friggin weld together.
Or the wire disconnecting, and opening and closing the circuit rapidly could spike it. BUT if CC put proper capacitors on their product that would not be an issue seeing they are there to absorb spikes...

This issue from a few different posts I've seen sprawled on a few sites is not unique to that ESC I've also seen the same issues on the 1/8ths.
I assume you were unable to comprehend the part about ripple current and voltage spikes.

oh well.

better luck next time.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

No, YOU don't understand ripple current and voltage spikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.