Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

stripping spur gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 AM
filly.bluntz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripping spur gear

Hi all

got a major problem with my thunder tiger sparrowhawk xxt I have changed the motor in my (xxt) another 540 motor that i got fro hobbyking it has a 5mm shaft, so i had to get some pinion with a 5mmshaft hole. when i mesh the gears and tighten them up and then test it, it strips the gear in seconds why is it doing this. i have gone through about 60 spur gears in 2 months this is getting stupid now. does anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it.

gear mesh is not to tight or loose
if pinion has chip in some of its teeth would thst cause stripping to happen
could the motor be to powerful for the spur gear
no screws have come loosethat hold the motor mount or motor pinion
Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: stripping spur gear

There are many possible scenarios.

Most likely the gears are of a different 'pitch' (so the teeth aren't the same size). Do you have a link to the pinion you bought?

Otherwise, you are not setting the mesh properly or indeed the pinion has damaged teeth, both would also cause the problem you describe. When setting the gear mesh the best thing to do is slot a piece of regular white photocopy paper in between the gears, then push them together while tightening up the motor. Take paper out and you should end up with an acceptable mesh. A lot of us do it by feel, for example, we push the gears together without the paper, then slowly rotate the spur gear feeling the resistance from the gears, gently moving the pinion away from the spur microns at a time, til the resistance between the gears feels 'right', this takes experience and practice to get right and every model feels different.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:08 AM
filly.bluntz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stripping spur gear

when I get in I will take a pic of the pinion it seem to be the same pitch but not a 100% sure