Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

VRX-1E 1/8th Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 AM
johnnychimpo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VRX-1E 1/8th Truggy

[link=http://www.shop.gotnitroonline.com/Brushless-RTR-1-8-Scale-Truggy-Dual-LiPos-RH801E.htm]VRX-1[/link] Anyone have one of these Truggy's? Im going to get one for the simple fact Nitrorcx wont ship to APO with orders over 150 but GotNitroOnline will. There is just not alot of review on it anywhere.

Looks like a great deal @ $368
Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: VRX-1E 1/8th Truggy

I wouldn't get it. I would get something either from HPI, Traxxas, Associated or Losi.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:13 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

is vrx anew company?i also saw a zd brand i dont know if thats the brand name or model name>? but im lookin for an electric one not nitro.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 AM
johnnychimpo

Ordered it, ill post my review of it when i get it. It will be thoroughly beaten to death in the harsh environment of Afghanistan. There are some Youtube videos of it. Just look for VRX-1E or to that affect.

Im sure every car will break. Even my buds HPI savage Flux HP has broken here on jumps. Day one actually.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 AM
johnnychimpo

Got the truggy. First run ended up breaking a steering knuckle. Sigh, looks like monsoon parts will fit this vehicle though. Ended up repairing the knuckle by drilling holes and putting .32 safety wire through the holes keeping the part together. Little fiber glass work and back in action until aluminum parts get here. Probably stronger than the original part was. Thinking about doing the same to the other knuckle before i break it as well.

Initial impression isnt bad for the price of the truggy. Its fast as hell. Seems well pretty beefy in terms of the parts but we see how strong they were in the pics.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 AM
johnnychimpo

Finding parts is proving to be difficult. But i think redcat monsoon parts will work with it.

EDIT: Every charge reveals a structural weakness. Steering servo arm=cracked as well. Good old fashioned safety wire fixes until aluminum part arrives

This environment here is tough on rc cars. Clearing 4 to 6ft jumps with tons of dust and rock.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM
johnnychimpo

Should have taken the advice above T9dragon. Now the TX will not stay connected to the RX. RIVER HOBBY then wants an EXTREME amount of money for shipping. They told me 33usd to ship a 25$ esc program card. The seller agreed to refund or replace the TX/ RX but shipping it back might cost more than its worth. Oh well. I will slowly turn it into a Mugen/ Castor/ Redcat monsoon 1/8 truggy in due time.

Did get some aluminum steering knuckles for it that seem very well built.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84495.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1667853  
Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 AM
IROC-AR15
My Feedback: (10)

That truggy is going to nickle and dime you to death, you should've just went and got a name brand from the jump
I own a Mugen MBX5T Prospec and that will never be anywhere near the level of performance and durability of a Mugen...
Seems like you're just paying the same cost in the long run rather than you just spent an extra $50-$100 bucks and got at least a Thunder Tiger ST-1...Well I guess the good thing out of this is that at least you can say you built it made it better and giving everyone a well detailed review so others don't make the same mistake!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: IROC-AR15

That truggy is going to nickle and dime you to death, you should've just went and got a name brand from the jump
I own a Mugen MBX5T Prospec and that will never be anywhere near the level of performance and durability of a Mugen...
Seems like you're just paying the same cost in the long run rather than you just spent an extra $50-$100 bucks and got at least a Thunder Tiger ST-1...Well I guess the good thing out of this is that at least you can say you built it made it better and giving everyone a well detailed review so others don't make the same mistake!

agree learned when I 1st started electric RC's if a RC is going to keep break right away dump it. It is usually not worth the headache of repair. Had one I put 2X more into buying parts to make it stronger, and able to survive a session. In the end I had a $200 RC that I couldn't improve anymore but still broke left and right, and $200 in upgrades that were worthless.

Why not try seeing if you can find a used nitro truggy like a Jammin or mugen on ebay have it shipped to a friend or family members house with parts to do a nitro to elec conversion, and have them ship that to you.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 AM
johnnychimpo

No worries about it at all guys and thanks for your insight. Ive been down this road before with rc helicopters. Should have learned my lesson but i like learning the hard way. Ended up getting all Align stuff in the long run but gained quite a bit of experience with the cheap knock offs. Im going to bash the hell out of this car here in the desert and probably get a either Castor/ Mugen/ Xray/ Losi when i get home next year and build it with the boy. Really liking the Castor F8T pro so far. I could take all the electronics my Chinese knock off and at least get the Caster running until they fail.

Got a FLY SKY GT3B radio for 35 bucks and im rolling again! 12 day shipping over here not too bad. Found a program card at hobbyking for 5 bucks that came in as well. Works like a champ.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 AM
IROC-AR15

Now the Fly Sky Radio Systems aren't too bad! Iuse one on my Mugen 5T and will be grabbing another one! I like the fact I paid $20 shipped brand new for mine's plus they have built in fail safe and a range farther then you can see! In reality they aren't just cheap knock offs like some the other Chinese stuff! I guess its just a hit and miss but from my experience the electronics department that are cheaper are better quality and performance than the actually rc kits department!
I have'nt a problem with my GT2 yet!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:08 PM
johnnychimpo

Had a great run the last few days with the VRX-1E. No parts breaking anymore even with some serious jumps. Parts fell out of my right cv joint but luckily we found them. Fixed up, electrical tape installed on for makeshift cv boots and off running again! Also got some Gens Ace 40c 5000mah 2S1P packs in a few days ago. Breaking them in slowly for the first few runs.

With the new FlySky GT3b radio im really liking this car even more. Should keep my spare time occupied here when i get a free moment. The radio is performing way better than the RTR one that came with.

Waiting on some balancing weights for the tires now and a few other odds and ends.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
IROC-AR15

ORIGINAL: johnnychimpo

Had a great run the last few days with the VRX-1E. No parts breaking anymore even with some serious jumps. Parts fell out of my right cv joint but luckily we found them. Fixed up, electrical tape installed on for makeshift cv boots and off running again! Also got some Gens Ace 40c 5000mah 2S1P packs in a few days ago. Breaking them in slowly for the first few runs.

With the new FlySky GT3b radio im really liking this car even more. Should keep my spare time occupied here when i get a free moment. The radio is performing way better than the RTR one that came with.

Waiting on some balancing weights for the tires now and a few other odds and ends.
That's good to hear bro, I'm glad you're enjoying it cause it end it's all about you and your enjoyment!