Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

RC for Kids

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: RC for Kids

+1 to the suggestion of using a smaller piniom. They tend to put too big of a pinion on them new for top speed claims.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 PM
jbrunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: samguan

I am not sure about Rustler but I would think Stampede would be better on grass due to higher clearance and bigger tires. But in terms handling, Rustler is way better and it does not flip easily. (From a kid's perspective, this is a good thing). I would recommend a Traxxas Stampede since it's waterproof, higher clearance. As far as the motor/esc is concerned, just buy a smaller pinion gear to keep the load down and everything is all good from there.

as for 1/16th scale, they are not very good on grass and they are not much cheaper sometimes even more expensive. 1/16 Revo 4WD brushed cost more than a 1/10 Stampede 2WD.
Do you have an idea as to what the pinion should be? Yes I'm asking you to guess

Also it is true that 1/16 doesn't really save any money, I was looking at the entry level e-revo and summit, both are slightly more than the stampede. I just don't want to go through 3-4 motors in a year at $25 a pop. I may be way off, but I would have thought the motors would last years (2+) if not pushed really hard.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Two types of motor you are looking at here. Brushed and Brushless motor. The 1/16th E-Revo/Summit come in both the Brushed and the brushless version. Brushless will be way faster, efficient and the motor will really long proper care. However, I don't think the brushed motor on the Stampede is that bad, although I've heard some people have bad luck with them. Mine lasted a year and still was running fine.

Once you go brushless, you would want LiPo to take full advantage and then you need a charger, a power supply which will make the cost go way up. So I don't think you ready for that yet.

I wouldn't worry about going through motors, you should be fine with that stock motor. Clean it and Lube it properly and it should last a while.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 PM
jbrunt

Would simply using the training mode when bashing in the yard have the same effect as changing the pinion gear?  That would make it easier to switch back and forth.  I'm not sure how hard it is to change but I would expect it would take at least 20 minutes to change, rather than the 1 minute to switch from training mode to sport mode on the esc.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
samguan

ORIGINAL: jbrunt

Would simply using the training mode when bashing in the yard have the same effect as changing the pinion gear? That would make it easier to switch back and forth. I'm not sure how hard it is to change but I would expect it would take at least 20 minutes to change, rather than the 1 minute to switch from training mode to sport mode on the esc.

It takes less than 5 minutes to change, Stampede is especially really easy to work on. You can get your hobby shop to do it for free, a pinion gear should cost less than $5. But it's good to learn though.

I think putting it in training mode would work too.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
jbrunt

ORIGINAL: samguan

Two types of motor you are looking at here. Brushed and Brushless motor. The 1/16th E-Revo/Summit come in both the Brushed and the brushless version. Brushless will be way faster, efficient and the motor will really long proper care. However, I don't think the brushed motor on the Stampede is that bad, although I've heard some people have bad luck with them. Mine lasted a year and still was running fine.

Once you go brushless, you would want LiPo to take full advantage and then you need a charger, a power supply which will make the cost go way up. So I don't think you ready for that yet.

I wouldn't worry about going through motors, you should be fine with that stock motor. Clean it and Lube it properly and it should last a while.

How often should you clean and re-lube the motor and do you have a link with instructions to do that?

I know I am asking a lot of questions and I really want to let you all know that IREALLY appreciate all of the answers.

As far as the brushless goes, I don't think I'm really ready for that, both cost and speed are too much. And for the charger, I'm planning on getting a rapid charger, and after looking for a while I think Ihave settled on the Thunder AC6 charger here: http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html It will fast charge the nimh batteries, and I don't have to replace it if I decide to go to lipo at some point. That and it's not much more expensive than a regular nimh fast charger.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM
samguan

Very good choice on the charger in the case that you want to go Lipo and brushless in the future. The way I lube my motor is go to Canadian Tire and buy a brake cleaner(Non-Chlorinated) one and then clean the bearings/bushings and then spray into the vent opening of the Titan motor. Then using a little bit of bearing oil(cheap at the hobby shop) and then lubricate the bearings/bushings again.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
samguan

I would do it every time I run in water and then maybe after 10 runs or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q00jLG1EHT8
Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 PM
samguan

you don't even have to take the motor off the truck, just spray into the motor vent and then lubricate the bearing/bushing facing outside. 30 Second job.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
jbrunt

Good god, that's so much easier than I thought. I thought you actually had to take the motor apart
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

Don't you think that 5 years old is a little too young for a hobby-grade rc car?
My son got his Grasshopper just before he turned 6. And he did quite well with it. And his sister at 4 also did well.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
jbrunt

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

I'm seriously begginning to think that this rc is not for your 5 year old kid, but for you.

Don't worry - I won't tell the wifey Come clean!!!!! I know it's not for your 5 y/o kid!!!

I somehow missed this when looking through the thread, sorry for the delayed response. This, like most things in life, follows the 80/20 rule. This is 80% for me.... errrr I mean my son

Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the problems with the Stampede are the users putting a large pinion on the motor for speed and running them on rough ground. Gear the truck well for the terrain and the motor and ESC will last quite long. If you follow the manual you will have success.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
biffff

Not this again.
Your wife and your son will love that you both are doing something fun together. That dude has some issues that he needs to work out, and he needs to stop trying to piss in everyones cornflakes because they want to get their kids into a cool hobby.
There is not a law against parents having fun with their kids.

I bought my son a truck for Christmas and him and I (and his sister)are both having a blast with it. My wife is pumped too. Too many parents these days stick their kids in front of TV's and game consols, and don't actually do things with them. Don't feel guilty that you are getting a truck because you will enjoy it too.

End rant.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
pyromatic177

i dont mind being stuck with my Xbox 360..LOL
But i do love Rc's.