Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

novice racer. help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
mrwatzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default novice racer. help!!!

So recently my cousin my uncle and myself all bought team associated rc10b4.1 rtr. we live near a rc race track in magna utah. we went to practice and relize we suck! does anyone have pointers on different tuneing and maybe just tips on how to be a better racer. we are planning on staying in the novice clas for a bit (17.5t motors) any other recomendations on things to do to our cars would be way helpful.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:17 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: novice racer. help!!!

More track time.... Make a day of it and play with setups
Even sneak a look at the other guys cars

What seems to be the biggest issues u are having with the car?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

I agree - get the guys together, and visit the track during a race. Take a peek at their cars, and ask questions. The most important ones would be about tires and gearing.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 AM
SillyWillie-Buh!
My Feedback: (2)

Lots of practice. It's usually 90 percent driver, 10 percent car. I've heard somewhere that painting your body a bright color that stands out from the others also helps to maintain focus.

Also what type of track is it? Soft dirt, etc? Team Associated has quite a few setup sheets

http://teamassociated.com/setupsheets/RC10B4.1/

Might seem complex at first glance but it gives you a good idea of where you will need to make your modifications.

I just got my B4.1 and am waiting to take it for a spin.
Along with gearing, If you increase the pinion gear a few teeth from stock, you can increase your top speed. Add some other gearing and some handling tuning, and you should be in good shape like I plan to be as well! Good Luck on your B4.1s!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Tires and practice, tires and practice. That's everything.

When you get to the point when you can consistently make clean laps, start playing with your setup.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, practice.

Ask other drivers what setups they are running. Some 'serious' racers will not tell you, but the nice ones will generally give you a few hints about tires and shocks. Experiment, your car came with a bunch of shock spacers for a reason. If you feel you need better acceleration, drop a tooth on the pinion gear.

Go there on an open track day. Start slow, figure out your lines, figure out how much speed you need for each jump or turn. Gradually keep speeding up, decreasing your lap times. As the old adage goes, slow laps are fast laps.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Most times, SLOW IS FAST! Trust me.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, all stated above. If you have trouble giving it power and it sticking to the ground (if you do, i don't blame you, i do too) then get a pair on PL calibers- http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Buggy-Tires-2 This inproved my lap times by 3-5 seconds.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:36 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Just because Calibers helped you at your local track doesn't mean they'd hook up at his track.

Calibers hook up great at one of ThunderbirdJunkie's tracks, but you might as well use the stock hard compound holeshot-ish tires at the indoor places.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

I have raced at the Magna track in UT. Traction there is some of the best but you still need better tires than the rtr's. Proline suburbs rear and scrubs up front in clay compound seems to be the best combo for this track. Go out there and practice a bunch and ask questions there are some friendly drivers who run associated there. Also if you want to check out another track come on up to Addiction RC in Ogden. We usually have a good turn out for novice class on Saturday mornings.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie likes the Scrubs as an indoor steer tire. In general he likes them better than Taper Pins or Vektors in comparable compounds. Don't rule out Losi pink ribs too if you need to calm down the front end if the MC Scrubs are working TOO well.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM
mrwatzilla

hey thanks everyone, i have been spending allot of time at the track i ended up putting j concept tires on the back and scrubs on the front. we have been messing with the suspension set ups and all the little thing we can it has been going better.  no its trial and error time. thanks for all your help!!!!