Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HPI's New Trophy Truggy Flux

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 PM
mycarisaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI's New Trophy Truggy Flux

Got my new trophy truggy flux the other day. Been driving the mess out of it since I got it. Anyways I wanted to give you guys a quick rundown about the truck.
Well first impressions:
Looks tough! The body is already stickered up for you and I really like the graphics on it too. Under the hood the first thing I noticed was that the steering and wheels had some slop to them. Upon further inspection I seen that the steering assembly has only bushings in it (ordered some rubber sealed bearing to put in it) Also noticed that the servos output gear has some movement(I believe this is due to it only being bushed too (I am going to see if I can find a bearing to put in it if it doesn't have a bearing already) Looked at the wheels to see how well the alignment was, pretty much dead on!!! The rims are a standard 17mm hex truggy style with a black chromeish finish. The diffs and axles are supported by ball bearings but re of the metal shielded type(so I picked up some rubber sealed bearings for those locations too) The radio is a 2.4ghz with dual rates for the steering, end point adjustment, trim, and channel reversing. It runs off of only 4 AA (lr6) type batts which come with the kit. The chassis looks very solid and well built, Has CV shafts up front but only dog bones in the center and rear. Comes with sway bars and dust boots for the shocks. Everything moves freely and smoothly. I had to do NO adjustments on this truck to get it ready to take out for a beating

Driving impressions:

First thing I noticed is how smooth the esc and motor work together. Virtually no cogging on start up. Huge plus. I drove it around slowly to get the feel for the truck and then it was time to see what it was made of. It has a bunch of low end power and reaches its 42mph top speed quickly. The truck handles well enough to somewhat make the 42mph seem slow (where as in say a MT like the e-maxx 42mph is fast) The diffs unload very easily and need to be fluid especially the center (I picked up some 10K,7K,5K,and 3K diff fluid to see which works the best where) The shocks felt a little under dampened so I put 45W in them and it helped alot! Stock isn't bad by no means but like any ready to run they seem to always under dampen. Stock there is some push under power in a turn , off power tightens it up alot. Jumps are flt and require very little throttle for adjustment in air. If you do happen to get that back end to kick up off a jump grab the throttle and it rotates nicely. On throttle landings move out in a hurry even in they are out of whack jumps, grab throttle and that thing shoots out of that landing like a scalded dog and straight as an arrow. Ran a 55C 5600mah 4s lipo all the way until its LVC and the motor was only warm and the esc was cool (there is a fan on the esc that runs all the time) Thats with a 72º ambient temp. The tires are good for back yard driving and bashing but don't expect to do any type of racing with them.

Over all this is a fun cheap truck (got it for $419 from towerhobbies) Seems to be a solid platform. I have broke it twice but of my own doing (clipped a tree at full speed and broke a shock shaft, ran into a chunk of concrete at around 30mph dead on the front skid and it stopped the truck dead in its track and broke the front skid/bumper) Installed a mugen shock shaft as it was a direct fit and the front bumper isn't stopping it from running. Now the only down fall is there are NO parts for this thing yet in the USA (this being the same truck as the lightning stadium truck from hotbodies you should be able to find a few parts if needed (just not the bumper ) Installing diff fluid and thicker shock oil has helped with performance and is cheap to do. So this truck is fitting the bill for a back yard race machine yet still able to do some bashing when out playing with my son.

Some Pics:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0046.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2236597

Name:	IMAG0042.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	2236598

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2236599

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	2236600

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	2236601

Name:	IMG_0235.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	2236602

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2236603

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2236604

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	2236605

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	2236606

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	2236607

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2236608

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	2236609

(sorry only got pics from the first run in front of the house, wife wasn't with me when I went out to drive it at the track)
Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HPI's New Trophy Truggy Flux

Thanks for the good write up and the pics, Looks like a nice RC.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
mycarisaser

Thanks!

Forgot to add [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/107018/]this[/link]
Old 02-25-2012, 03:25 PM
redfisher1974

Gave you 5 stars for the effort....
Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Wow! That thing looks mean! I like the pattern of the knobbies on the tires.

I should buy one and start my own lawn sweeping business!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Nice truck! That thing looks great for the money. What electronics does it have? I assume its not a castle esc?

The only thing I hate hate hate about HPI is that they use those stupid 17mm adapters with a cheap cast drive hex and a tiny 6mm(i think) nut with a washer built onto it. They put the same thing on the flux and I have used them and though they work ok, its not a good replacement for a true 1/8 scale buggy style machined aluminum hub with a 17mm nut.

Other than that, I dont see anything i really dislike about it, and the price seems very fair.

Have you owned a brushless MT? If so, does it handle a lot better?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Post a video!

Video killed the radio storm (Insert funny joke here)

Awesome Truggy! I still want to buy 2 or 3 of those for a lawn sweeping gig!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:35 AM
USMC 0802

Cool truggy and great pics! Congrats!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 AM
mycarisaser

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Nice truck! That thing looks great for the money. What electronics does it have? I assume its not a castle esc?

The only thing I hate hate hate about HPI is that they use those stupid 17mm adapters with a cheap cast drive hex and a tiny 6mm(i think) nut with a washer built onto it. They put the same thing on the flux and I have used them and though they work ok, its not a good replacement for a true 1/8 scale buggy style machined aluminum hub with a 17mm nut.

Other than that, I dont see anything i really dislike about it, and the price seems very fair.

Have you owned a brushless MT? If so, does it handle a lot better?
I had a Los I lst2 that I converted, savage that I converted, both emaxxs and both brushless and lastly the brushless e-revo. The e-revo is the closest in how it handles .

From what I'm told it has a hobbywing esc and motor. I also hate the way the axles and hexs are.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

OP looks great! Awwesome pics and review! Makes me want one for bashing.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Nice write up and awesome action pics....
Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM
mycarisaser

Put my futaba 4pl radio on the truggy. Well I got 2 more MPH out of it. So top speed of 44mph. Guess the throttle EPA on the stock radio wasn't up all the way.
Now I have 10k weight oil in the center and 5k up front and 3k in the rear. Liking this setup so far. Having the 10 in the center really helps get this thing moving in a hurry but on a high traction surfaces and lots of full throttle take offs will put extra strain on the motor and esc. The esc was cool still but you could feel the warm air from the fan. The motor heated up a bit too. Nothing bad and nowhere near a temp to worry about but yeah it wasn't as cool as it was with only the stock oil in the diff. Oh yeah the stock diffs do have oil in them, just don't know what weight it was.
I need to get back out to the track again to see how the oil effects it out there. Need to get feeling better first though.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
mycarisaser

well the bearings for the steering came in along with a spektrum 6040 servo. Its raining here so I cant go out and test it but all the slop that was in the steering is now gone. So I now have all rubber sealed ball bearings in my truggy.

What I have done so far,
Installed futaba 4pl radio, Spektrem 6040 servo, thicker diff oils all around (5,10,3) and installed rubber sealed ball bearings for the diffs, hubs, and steering system.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM
mycarisaser

Me and my son went out to the dunes to bash the rc trucks. I took the trophy truggy and he took his brushless emaxx. Well I have to say even on the dunes the truggy handles 10X better Anyways we got some great action shots of our bash session. Will get them posted up tomorrow when I get to go threw them all and pick some to post. I can say this the truggy took 20 and 30ft high jumps with out issues. We had a blast and cant wait to go out there and do it again!!!! I did manage to have my front tire come off. I lot a screw out the bottom of one of the front steering hubs and the top one on the landing of a jump ripped out. So new hubs are on order. Glad amains has parts instock. So just a reminder to you all . LOCKTIGHT all metal connections. Again will get some pics posted up tomorrow
Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
cummins driver

Glad you are enjoying it, looking forward to the pictures[8D]

I just got my Jammin truggy converted and i love the way it handles. Its much nicer to drive than my Associated MGT i had the brushless setup in. It makes the power of the brushless system manageable. [8D]
Old 03-11-2012, 07:26 PM
cummins driver

Double post
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM
The_Shark

sweet pics on 4 and 11!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Nice pictures.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
mycarisaser

here are some pics of the trophy truggy from my bash session yesterday with my sone. Sorry for the amount of pics

Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

nice pics............[8D]
Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
thehuntingterminator

nice. how big are those shocks? everything on the truck looks incredibly solid except for those 1/10 scale looking shocks. thanks for the writeup though. great pictures too!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 AM
mycarisaser

I will measure them for you when I get home. They are much bigger than a 1/10th scale shock like whats on an emaxx
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 AM
rayndog3

nice pics, you got some nice height on those jumps!! That thing looks awesome!
Old 03-18-2012, 02:58 PM
mycarisaser

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

nice. how big are those shocks? everything on the truck looks incredibly solid except for those 1/10 scale looking shocks. thanks for the writeup though. great pictures too!
14mm thick and 122mm long from eye to eye.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 PM
mycarisaser

went to the scate park with my son. Well his emaxx take scate park beatings much better. Though the truggy is so much more precise. I need to upgrade the emaxxs servos and saver spring. That became very appernent driving it after driving the truggy. Anyways I bought some d8t cvds with standard 1/8th scale style hexes. They worked good! I did manage to break both rear shock shafts. Kind of stinks as it wasnt a huge jump So I upgraded to the hotbobies 3.5mm shock shafts. They seem much stronger. I dont know if its the flex in the arms or the angle of the shocks that caused them to break but what ever it is I just hope the 3.5mm shafts will take more of a hit. My sons emaxx took some big hits and got some big air until it landed really badly out of the bowl(snapped the chassis in half [:-] ) so we both left with a busted truck. Man concrete doesn't give much

Will post up some pics when my wife takes them off the camera

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.