Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

my team associted sc 10

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM
gambit_soulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my team associted sc 10

i have two sc10's i also have a slash and evader ext 2 brushed and a arrma fury but now my ? is this i got a set of cv shafts for my evader has anyone used them on anything else i want to try them on my sc10 and maybe get ride of the dog bones so what can of cv shafts would fit it and if i ut the on the truck whats going to change and how well it change
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: my team associted sc 10

This is what you need for a SC10: https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=ASC9678
Or the MIP version which has a small ring to prevent the pins from coming loose: https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=MIP09128

They operate very smoothly with efficient power delivery and you won't have to worry about dog bones popping out of place.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
gambit_soulz

DOES IT HELP THE HANDLING OR THE POWER
Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
BKoz559

It won't affect handling.Some will argue how it affects power because of the design and how smoothly the power is transmitted and not lost as slop in the joints. It's negligible but, if you're looking to squeeze every last drop of performance out of your vehcle, these can't hurt; along with ceramic ball bearings I might add.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:24 PM
gambit_soulz

WITCH ONES DO I GET AND WHERE WOULD I GET THEM
Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 PM
BKoz559

Either set is a good choice. If you need a definate this one or that, then get the MIP CVDs here: https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=MIP09128. You can also buy them from Amain Hobbies, Tower Hobbies among other places. Stormer, Tower and Amain are my 3 personal favorites so Iusually recommend them.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:32 AM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

my NEW(used) ae sc10
now curious about gettin a motor for it.
where to start??
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM
BKoz559

Whatever motor / ESC you choose don't get anything that's too "hot" as it really isn't necessary. The guys at our track all use 540 motors, anything from Castle, a couple of Tekins and Novaks, the stock Reedy brushless system to Hobbywing & Tacon. Most of them seem to use KV ratings in the low 3000s. If you have 4x4 then you can go with a more powerful / higher torque motor like a 4-pole or 550 sized motor. Motor like that in 2wd aren't necessary and can make the truck a handful to drive.

Consider how much you want to invest and what type of driving you will do most to determine what kind of motor you should use.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 PM
PortoRocSC10

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Whatever motor / ESC you choose don't get anything that's too "hot" as it really isn't necessary. The guys at our track all use 540 motors, anything from Castle, a couple of Tekins and Novaks, the stock Reedy brushless system to Hobbywing & Tacon. Most of them seem to use KV ratings in the low 3000s. If you have 4x4 then you can go with a more powerful / higher torque motor like a 4-pole or 550 sized motor. Motor like that in 2wd aren't necessary and can make the truck a handful to drive.

Consider how much you want to invest and what type of driving you will do most to determine what kind of motor you should use.
Out of the ones that you have listed (Castle, Tekins & Novak) which are the ones that you hear or personally seen/tried for their SC10 4x4?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 PM
BKoz559

I don't run 4x4 personally but when I'm on the track as a corner marshall I notice one guy in particular who runs Tekin stands out from the crowd more than the others. Not to say that the others are inferior; maybe he's just a better driver. He uses an RX8 ESC with what looks like the SC4x. I couldn't tell you what turns/KV he uses but that truck zips! I also hear many of the 4x4 guys complain against Castle ESCs. Maybe they're biased or something but I tend to disagree. I have a Castle based ESC in my Savage and it works very well.

I also forgot to mention LRP because we have one guy who strictly uses Associated / Reedy / LRP products and he swears by them. His truck is pretty fast and he usually finishes in the top 3. However, he's the only guy who uses LRP.

Personally I use an Orion Vortex sensorless system in my 2WD and have driven a buddy's SC10 2wd which had a Castle system in it. He must have had a low KV motor because there wasn't a ton of top end but the power was predictable and didn't seem to "overpower" the truck while accelerating. That was a pretty good setup. My Orion was a budget sport system that I chose at the time for affordability. My car is faster than most of the others but, my driving skills aren't what they need to be and my setup may be off so it really doesn't do me much good.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 PM
BKoz559

I don't run 4x4 personally but when I'm on the track as a corner marshall I notice one guy in particular who runs Tekin stands out from the crowd more than the others. Not to say that the others are inferior; maybe he's just a better driver. He uses an RX8 ESC with what looks like the SC4x. I couldn't tell you what turns/KV he uses but that truck zips! I also hear many of the 4x4 guys complain against Castle ESCs. Maybe they're biased or something but I tend to disagree. I have a Castle based ESC in my Savage and it works very well.

I also forgot to mention LRP because we have one guy who strictly uses Associated / Reedy / LRP products and he swears by them. His truck is pretty fast and he usually finishes in the top 3. However, he's the only guy who uses LRP.

Personally I use an Orion Vortex sensorless system in my 2WD and have driven a buddy's SC10 2wd which had a Castle system in it. He must have had a low KV motor because there wasn't a ton of top end but the power was predictable and didn't seem to "overpower" the truck while accelerating. That was a pretty good setup. My Orion was a budget sport system that I chose at the time for affordability. My car is faster than most of the others but, my driving skills aren't what they need to be and my setup may be off so it really doesn't do me much good.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
PortoRocSC10

A lot of the videos that I see on YouTube are riding with Caste Creations Mamba Pros. My friend put one in his Losi SCTE but it looks like his top speed was robbed from him. Also, its a 1415 series Mamba Pro swap from the stock 2800KV. I believe that those ESC go to 6S but is it really that necessary? lol Would you happen to know some gearing advice for that motor?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 PM
BKoz559

A Mamba Monster Pro can handle 6S. I'm not sure about the Mamba Max Pro but, I think it may go up to 3S, maybe 4S. Regardless, 6S in a 1/10 scale car is more juice than it can handle. A SC truck with that 2800KV motor on 3S will be a ballistic land missle capable of 60MPH on pavement. I'm not too sure about gearing but in my specific setup, I use an Orion 2850KV motor on 2S with 21/81 gearing. I race weekends and the motor or ESC never warms up above 110F; usually it stays right around 100F. I've gone as high as 25/75 gearing for speed runs. During those runs, I estimate my car's peak speed at around 40mph.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 PM
trx1

well im going brushed with a 15t motor..... will that be enough?? also how should i gear it with this combo??
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM
PortoRocSC10

I ran my stock SC10 RTR on the local track and was doing pretty good. Since I have fried my ESC before, because the belt flipped over, I had a temp gun by my side to make sure that it won't happen again on the first day back on the track. With the stock gearing and running for about 10-15 mins temp were at 123. Kept trying it out after I swapped out the batteries and so far the highest I seen on my truck was 127F. Racing against my friends losi scte I'm thinking of getting the pro4. Any objections or suggestions?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
BKoz559

Tekin, Novak andLRP are top racing brands in my book with Castle ranking high but not my personal favorite. I would only use a Castle system in my SC only because my Savage already has an ESC compatible with the Castle Link software so, I can use my laptop to program both my cars. That's probably not the best reason to choose a brushless system but, different strokes for different folks. Everyone has an opinion which is why there are arguments over how Ford, Dodge or Chevy is better than the other.

If Tekin gear wasn't so costly I'd probably have a system in either my B4 or the SC10 I recently picked up. But, the Orion and Reedy systems they have in them work well enough for what I'm doing so I haven't gone further than that. If I were more serious about competition or I had to have the absolute best, then a Tekin would be bolted up in both myracers as we speak. The Pro 4 is awesome along with the SC4X but, both are too much for a 2WD; they are best used in 4WD applications.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 AM
trx1

well, got the body painted
pink front, blue rear
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
PortoRocSC10

Yea, I agree. I have the 4x4 version of the SC10 so the Tekin Pro4 seems like its the right way to go. Recently, I have seen one of the older guys talking about the Pro4 and was actually talking about the motor that he has in his Losi SCTE. If there something more powerful and durable. As of right now I have gotten my transponder and liking the new layout they did on the local track here. Lots of turns and big jumps. Im going to go up a pinion and see where the temps are going to be at.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
PortoRocSC10

Let's see the paint job on your sc10.. Do you have the sway bars installed?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
trx1

no i dont, why??
got me a ecx esc with a 15t limit
also, what to know where i can find some neon yellow rims for my ride
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 PM
PortoRocSC10

That is a pretty cool fade. I have beaten the SC body pretty bad and thinking about how I would design it. My is the artist so Im just going to have her draw something. I have a friend that has an airbrush machine. Is there a certain brand of paint that is better than others or any other type of advice you could give?

As for the sway bars they help the roll of the turns. I am considering the Chassis Brace as well. I went to a shop and they didn't have it. The local track that I usually go to doesn't have it but, they did get the FT SC10 RTR and Kits. They look nice but I don't think I would like the saddle pack setup.

Also, is this the yellow you are looking for?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1450_1139/products_id/208709/n/DE-Racing-Trinidad-SC-Front-Rear-SC-Wheels-Yellow-2-SC10-4x4
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 PM
gambit_soulz

i mean i got that system in my slash and my associated sc10 and i done the gearing in the slash but not the associated now i own 6 trucks right now im going to buy a blitz next im trying to get all of them but im going to buy a 2nd fury just so i can have a stock and a brushless system i got ofna hyper 10sc and a evader ext2 and 2 associated sc10s and my fury and then my slash now im going for a blitz what should i look at after that any ideas
Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 AM
trx1

wow, thanks for th link for the rims!
where do i get these sway bars??
and would my sc10 or a SLASH be better for both race/bash??
Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM
PortoRocSC10

I have been thinking about going bigger with a Baja 5T. There happens to be dirtbike jumps out in the woods nearby and would like to see it in action on real dirt. If you are trying to stay in the 1/10 scale I would either go with a Losi XXX-SCT. I've seen a couple of people at the local track and it was handling pretty well. I believe its heavier so I don't know if that is helping it on the corner. Also, it comes pretty loaded out the box.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM
PortoRocSC10

IMO I would say that the SC10 is way better than a Slash on a track, 4x4-wise. I never tried the 2WD trucks. Seems like no point. As for bashing, I see Traxxas as a good bashing brand in general. They're cheap parts and easy to fix.

As for the sway bars:
4x4 FT Front Sway Bars
http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/91123/

4x4 FT Rear Sway Bars
http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/91124/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.