Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Old school rc 10

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 PM
winkjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school rc 10

I got an old school rc 10 the gold aluminum one I haven't been in rc for a lot of years do you guys think I could update and bash around with it or should I just buy a new car. Let me know what you think. And if so what should I do to it as far as electronics and stuff.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Old school rc 10

If it's still clean or better yet; unused then sell it to a collector and pickup a new or used current model. This way replacement parts will be easier to find and you'll have more hop-up options later on.

If the car is beat, battered and bruised then I guess put whatever electronics you can come up with into it and have fun. Be warned that getting replacement parts for RC10s isn't as easy as going to the hobby shop and buying what you need; rather you must sift through eBay listings and hope for the best. They basically don't make 2" tires anymore so you will have to get creative and modify the car to accept 2.2" wheelswith modern tires. That way you canreplace them occassionally when they wear out. The front wheels are easy; it's the rear that takes a little bit of effort.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Explicit_Spade

My first "real"rc was a gold pan RC10. Since then my dad has built quire the collection of them. If it is in good shape and complete, it probably has a good value to the right person, and with less and less of them around, it would be best to sell it to someone who can appreciate what it is.

As said by Bkoz559, if it has some more severe signs of wear, it would be a fun car to bash with. I put mine through a lot of jumping, rolling, etc and it never gave me any issues and hardly broke. Even though it wasn't the quickest thing available, it was fun. Most currnet RC10 parts fit on that chassis, or they did when I had mine anyway.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
ElectricGuy007

Last time I looked Tower had the A-arms RPM used to make. Ive thought about doing it to my car.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
tileman23

I was at the same cross roads about 4 months ago.  Check out rc10talk.com   You will find all the info you need on bringing the old gold pan back to life with modern running gear.  I ended up spending more on bringing mine back from the dead than it would have taken to just buy a new b4.1 rtr that is ready to go.  But for me, part of the fun was doing the research and restoring the car I loved as a kid.  As for parts, tower hobbies still sells stuff like A arms, gears, hubs, and various other stuff for the old cars.  You will need to search ebay for parts like rear bulkheads, or a complete stealth tranny upgrade if you have the old six gear.  But there are quite a few parts out there for cheap, so ebay will be your friend.  As for wheels, a british company http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/ sells direct bolt on's that fit modern 2.2 tires.  I chose to change out the rear drives for more modern b3 versions so I could use both the british wheels and associated b3 wheels I find on ebay.  There is an "old is new" thread on the rc10talk site that shows various builds of old gold pans with modern suspension and drive train that guys are racing against modern buggies.  So its up to you whether you want to spend the extra time and money on the old car vs. just going modern.