Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

We want to go racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 AM
trsills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We want to go racing

I was searching online and found an indoor dirt track (OC Raceway) that isn't too far from me, so Jr. and I are interested in trying out some racing. But what I was also looking for online were some tips/pointers so thought I'd ask the forum to see if you might have some favorite sites. My initial searches turned up a wide variety of sites that seemed to cover proper line, but I was looking for more insight regarding truck setup and driving. I went through the sticky post in this forum and there's a lot to digest regarding dialing in a suspection, so I was looking for more info in this category that could be simpler to digest.

I'm not looking to fine tune the suspension cause right now we just need track time and experience with driving, but I wanted to at least be able to understand and recognize some basic behaviors and how to deal with them. As an example, I saw something where someone mentioned even tapping the brake when in the air to change the attitude/pitch of the truck. This kind of info is invaluable cause after watching a bunch of youtube videos, I noticed how people were launching and making these great landings on the backside of a table top.

We're going to get to the track this weekend as I believe they're having a big race event, so we wanted to check it out. But I was hoping to eventually get down there during the non-rush hours so that we could play around.

Does anyone have any particular tips on items to bring to the track? We only have 1 battery each so I was thinking about getting another one and throwing some hand tools into a tool box. He's pretty excited about getting out there on something that has some real jumps and berms. Our intention was to leave the trucks basically stock as we wanted to race in a beginner class, any particular tips beyond possibly changing shock oil and tires would be appreciated.

TIA
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM
acexxxoasis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: We want to go racing

your average day of racing you will need

TIRES! ask the locals and the shop what the best tire is for the track will help more then 90% of suspension tuning.
batteries more the better. also charger find out if track has ac out or if you need to bring a generator (happens a lot)
Radio and if your on AM or FM you should bring extra crystals (not everyone is on 2.4 and your regulars usually get crystal choice) also batteries for your radio
spare parts like front A arms and such
LUNCH if you are there for more then like 2 packs you'll get what I mean
but most importantly bring the FUN