Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

A very very newb Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:51 AM
thetikler1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A very very newb Question

I've got a really really noob question (even though i've R/Ced before [nitro and rtr] i can't figure this out). I just bought a tc3 and i built it from scratch, the only that is in my way from driving it is, where do i put the no solder plugs??? i can't figure out where to put the connectors? so far i think what happens is there is a negative and a positive side on teh motor and black goes to negative and red to positive? is this right? but where do i connect them on the motor?

sorry about the noob question, i'm better with cars than with rc cars hehe.

thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 11:31 AM
RCFreakInFL
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: A very very newb Question

Welcome to the boards!

The wiring for the batt, to the ESC, to the motor is as follows:

+ from batt goes to Red to ESC.
- from batt goes to Black to ESC.
Black from ESC goes to - of motor
Blue from ESC goes to + of motor.

What you will have to do, is splice the - running from the ESC, to actually go off into 2 connectors, 1 to be soldered to the - of the batt, and 1 to run to the - of the motor. Lemme know if that makes sense, hope it helps you
Old 09-08-2003, 12:54 PM
thetikler1

well my esc has two connections that go to the motor, one blue one white... and then i have the two non solder plugs (one black, one red), that are currently not connect to anything. So what do i do with that? on the esc instructions it says no need to splice anything?? i have a trinity 12t gem series motor if that helps.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

No you don't need to splice anything. The bullet connector side of the motor leads go to the ESC which should have the same type of connector only the female side. The red motor lead should go to the white wire from the ESC and the black lead should go to the blue ESC wire. You should check your ESC mannual to be sure that the white is indeed positive and the blue is negative. Once the leads are connected to the ESC then the other side must be connected to the tabs on the motor. If you look very carefully on the endbell of the motor you will see a small + sign closer to one tab than the other. This tab is the positive side of the motor and the red wire will go here while the black goes to the other side. If you go to run your truck and it goes in reverse don't forget that you should be able to reverse the throttle channel of your radio.
Hope this helps
Old 09-08-2003, 03:14 PM
thetikler1

thank you very much, i'm glad i found a forum to help me with my rc needs (i have one for my subaru that pretty much covers all bases www.nasioc.com)

thank you for your help,
christian
Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 AM
kn7671

If by accident you get everything connected, but the motor spins the wrong direction, either reverse the throttle on your controller, or rotate the end-bell on the motor 180 degrees, that's if it's a modified adjustable motor, or reverse the 2 wires on the motor.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:09 AM
thetikler1

yea i got it to work! holy crap! it works so nice. i accidently set up my throttle backwards (on teh controller forward is accelerate, and back is reverse) but its okay, i've gotten used to it.

thanks for the help!
-christian
Old 09-09-2003, 10:56 AM
RCFreakInFL
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

If pressing the lever foward, makes you go foward, and the lever pullin in, makes you go reverse, as I think you stated....you need to switch your channels.

You should see little tabs, or little switches (I dunno what radio you're using). Flip the switch the opposite direction that it's at now, and you'll have the controller working properly.

As for the ESC, I was referring more towards a 3-wire ESC, commonly found in racing applications. Probably should have asked which ESC you were using. Some you do have to splice into, not all are easy 4 wire hookups
Old 09-09-2003, 01:40 PM
SpoonAvenger

DO you have a stick type controller or a pistol grip?
--On a stick type:
Pushing the lever foward should make the car go forward, and back should be reverse or brake depending on your esc.
--On a Pistol Grip type:
Pulling the lever back (like pulling the trigger on a gun) should make the car go forward, and pushing it in the oposite direction should make the car go in reverse or brake depending on the esc.

As stated previously in the post, switch the wires if yours isnt like this. The white should be positive and the blue negative for the motor (ususally this is red and blue), and the Red is positive and the Black is negative for the battery. Hope that cleared some thing up for you.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:26 PM
thetikler1

Yea i have a "pistol style grip" I took that and the radio receiver off of my Hpi Nitro Rs3 rtr. It works perfect except for the backwards throttle/brake-reverse. I have an intellispeed esc and a trinity gem series 12 t motor. is there some switch that i have to turn? i'l play some more tonight and see if i can figure it out.

thanks for the help,
christian
Old 09-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Know that if there is a delay from going reverse to forward, and no delay F-R,but everything works fine, the motor wires need to be switched and the radio reversing switch has to be changed. Happend to me, could find the problem for 3 weeks!
Old 09-09-2003, 07:11 PM
thetikler1

wow thanks, i got the throttle back to normal. is it mandatory to install the capacitors even if your using the non solder engine/esc plugs ? i think i'm intereferense (sp?) because sometimes i can turn (just for a sec). Thanks for helping me, i can see i have much to learn still.

thanks for the help,
christian

p.s. awesome forums by the way!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:34 AM
thetikler1

bump? anyone....