Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

lunched motor bearings!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:20 PM
collective itch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lunched motor bearings!

so im lucky enough to live near the beach hear in uk. do some sand running occasionally. took my fairly well used inferno down to the beach today, and motor basically ground to a hault. had some smoke coming out the wire end, and esc and motor fairly hot. ive had bearings go on it before, but is it possible the sand helped it on its way, or just coincidence. gonna get another motor, but don't want to bust the new one as well. whats other peoples experience with running brushless in sand? thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: lunched motor bearings!

Ive had revo cv shafts seize, shocks rust and ruin the shock oil seal. and heaps of general rust problems.
U wont catch me at the beach with anything but a crawler these days
Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

salty beach sand is the worst. Its sand, but then the salt makes it sticky and binds to your rc parts.

I took a brushless traxxas slash to the beach once. Took 1/2 hour to get all the sand cleaned off.

If your model is brushed, then the sand could cause the brushes to break.

Ive only had bearings go on one brushless motor. It was a traxxas vxl motor. The front brearing just fell apart. Once the rotor wabbled out of place it hit the windings and damaged them. No smoke, just a dead stop.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spot on, appart from hot coal there is nothing worse than running on beach sand. Sand can be bad enough all by it self, then add salt water to that...
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Johnnysplits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: collective itch

so im lucky enough to live near the beach hear in uk. do some sand running occasionally. took my fairly well used inferno down to the beach today, and motor basically ground to a hault. had some smoke coming out the wire end, and esc and motor fairly hot. ive had bearings go on it before, but is it possible the sand helped it on its way, or just coincidence. gonna get another motor, but don't want to bust the new one as well. whats other peoples experience with running brushless in sand? thanks
Get a motor cover from Outerwears. That will keep the sand out.