Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Guy with New Toys

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Pacrat77J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with New Toys

Hello all. Ihave been using this site to answer my many questions lately and figure it is time to get in the mix. I got into RC trucks about 2 weeks ago and cannot get enough. Two weeks in and Ihave a 2wd Stampede and a Slash 4x4 VXL and am constantly messing with them. No major upgrades yet, mostly cosmetics and suspension tuningbut Ican see this will be a long road to "almost happy, just one more thing". Spend most of my time bashing in the front yard, and the rest on the track (Shout out ot Mike's in Carrollton, TX) Here are some pics of my trucks and one in action. In the words of General Custer, bring me my radio....its time to break some a-arms!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61730.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1840394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75831.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1840395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59657.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1840396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30106.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1840397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58860.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1840398  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Guy with New Toys

hey PacRat, welcome to the boards!  Nice toys.  These things ARE all kinds of fun, aren't they?  (Except when something breaks)  I've been in the hobby going on my third year and I'm totally obsessed too. Good thing it was my wife who got me my first RC, she can't complain now! It's all her fault!    I'm retired, live on ten acres in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. I've got two Evaders and have laid out an off-road track out in the middle of the property. My buddy, who also got addicted, comes up about once a week for "race days", and I run at least one batt pack a day on my own.  God, I love California!

So tell us a little 'bout yerself.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: Pacrat77J
In the words of General Custer, bring me my radio....its time to break some a-arms!
I think had he had a radio he would have called for help.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all. Ihave been using this site to answer my many questions lately and figure it is time to get in the mix. I got into RC trucks about 2 weeks ago and cannot get enough. Two weeks in and Ihave a 2wd Stampede and a Slash 4x4 VXL and am constantly messing with them. No major upgrades yet, mostly cosmetics and suspension tuningbut Ican see this will be a long road to "almost happy, just one more thing". Spend most of my time bashing in the front yard, and the rest on the track (Shout out ot Mike's in Carrollton, TX) Here are some pics of my trucks and one in action. In the words of General Custer, bring me my radio....its time to break some a-arms!
I like what you did with your Stampede there, using the Slash rims / tires. Idid the same to mine except I used Slash rear arms and camber links to compensate for the weird offset. Unfortunately at the moment it's on the workbench waiting for some new rear shock shafts that were bent from excessive jumping. It's easy to get carried away.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79033.jpg
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1840474  
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to the hobby now leave all your money at the hobby shop

Just practice restraint or you will go into dept pretty bad like me. Wish I learned restraint when I 1st started like I have now I think I've only made 1-2 RC purchases in the past 6 months (parts like tires yesterday), and will be making one probably next week (parts again)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Pacrat77J

Thanks for the welcome. The slash rims/tires are only for loose terrain, putthose guys on the street and its traction roll city. Ya, its real addicting and learning that $8 parts add up fast! i keep telling myself it's dont buy it till you break it from now on, but we'll see.......... Ihave a wish list started already, baja body, trenchers, wheels, speed lipo charger, aluminum everything, on, and on, and on. any suggestions for either rig would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Thanks for the welcome. The slash rims/tires are only for loose terrain, put those guys on the street and its traction roll city. Ya, its real addicting and learning that $8 parts add up fast! i keep telling myself it's dont buy it till you break it from now on, but we'll see.......... I have a wish list started already, baja body, trenchers, wheels, speed lipo charger, aluminum everything, on, and on, and on. any suggestions for either rig would be greatly appreciated.
Only do that if you want to place it on a shelf as a conversation piece. Trust me that was one of the things I did when I 1st started, and turned out to be a completely terrible idea that was a huge waste of money.

Aluminum I find is good for the following(depending on model this is just in general): C-hubs, knuckles, Rear carriers, steering(only is the stock has too much slop), shock towers.
Things like arms, gearbox covers, and other things aluminum is very counter productive as it adds a lot of weight, and transfers the kinetic energy(in arms cases) to the next weakest piece pretty much multiplying the force to greater than it was designed for causing failure(breakage) way easier.

for most things on traxxas RC's get RPM parts when they break they cost a few bucks more than the stock part, and are generally way more durable.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Thanks for the welcome. The slash rims/tires are only for loose terrain, putthose guys on the street and its traction roll city. Ya, its real addicting and learning that $8 parts add up fast! i keep telling myself it's dont buy it till you break it from now on, but we'll see.......... Ihave a wish list started already, baja body, trenchers, wheels, speed lipo charger, aluminum everything, on, and on, and on. any suggestions for either rig would be greatly appreciated.
Only do that if you want to place it on a shelf as a conversation piece. Trust me that was one of the things I did when I 1st started, and turned out to be a completely terrible idea that was a huge waste of money.

Aluminum I find is good for the following(depending on model this is just in general): C-hubs, knuckles, Rear carriers, steering(only is the stock has too much slop), shock towers.
Things like arms, gearbox covers, and other things aluminum is very counter productive as it adds a lot of weight, and transfers the kinetic energy(in arms cases) to the next weakest piece pretty much multiplying the force to greater than it was designed for causing failure(breakage) way easier.

for most things on traxxas RC's get RPM parts when they break they cost a few bucks more than the stock part, and are generally way more durable.
Agreed - everything but the shock towers, they tend to bend like pretzels.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: RickWoo

well that depends on the aluminum quality, and the design(which is the same with the plastics)

Like the DF-02 alum shock tower does tend to bend easily due to the way it was made with cast aluminum, but can be strengthened with a piece of fiberglass, or T-6 aluminum screwed on top(well in the DF-02s case it also stops the mount point from snapping off so its kinda needed either way
).
My shock towers on my ofna RC's are aluminum, and made from CNC'd T-6(I think as they don't give at all). A piece of 3mm thick T6(aircraft grade) can take a hell of a lot of force before it will bend as when I made a chassis plate it took all my weight bouncing on it to bend a 2 inch wide piece by 4 degrees (and broke the bolts holding my vice to the workbench, and almost flipped the bench). For comparison as to how the grade can effect the strength I bent my DF-02 shock tower back into shape with my bare hands and it was a bit thicker than the T6 aluminum.
Now cheap stuff like integy cast aluminum yes that will bend like a pretzel. CNC'd pieces will be way stronger then them.

But yea should have put shock towers as dependent on the RC as they aren't always needed.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 AM
kaycerc

well that depends on the aluminum quality, and the design(which is the same with the plastics)

Like the DF-02 alum shock tower does tend to bend easily due to the way it was made with cast aluminum, but can be strengthened with a piece of fiberglass, or T-6 aluminum screwed on top(well in the DF-02s case it also stops the mount point from snapping off so its kinda needed either way
).
My shock towers on my ofna RC's are aluminum, and made from CNC'd T-6(I think as they don't give at all). A piece of 3mm thick T6(aircraft grade) can take a hell of a lot of force before it will bend as when I made a chassis plate it took all my weight bouncing on it to bend a 2 inch wide piece by 4 degrees (and broke the bolts holding my vice to the workbench, and almost flipped the bench). For comparison as to how the grade can effect the strength I bent my DF-02 shock tower back into shape with my bare hands and it was a bit thicker than the T6 aluminum.
Now cheap stuff like integy cast aluminum yes that will bend like a pretzel. CNC'd pieces will be way stronger then them.

But yea should have put shock towers as dependent on the RC as they aren't always needed.
I was referencing what's available for the OP's models, not your 1/8 buggy.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

).

Only went specific for clarity that not all are bad, and also wasn't referring to a 1/8th scale buggy I was looking at me 1/12th scale ofnas when I said that stuff, and the buggy I did refer to was 10th scale

Best advice though in general if it says Integy its pretty much crap that is a waste in money (seriously I only know of 1 integy part that works fine) unless you want an interesting conversation piece to put on a shelf(or what is referred to as a shelf queen). For shelf queens Integy is the #1 parts supplier
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best advice though in general if it says Integy its pretty much crap that is a waste in money (seriously I only know of 1 integy part that works fine) unless you want an interesting conversation piece to put on a shelf(or what is referred to as a shelf queen). For shelf queens Integy is the #1 parts supplier
Isn't that the truth!

For these Traxxas vehicles you'd better look more at RPM parts. I have a couple pieces and it helps the truck last longer. You don't need to replace everything, just replace a broken part with a new RPM part whenever you break something.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
kaycerc

).

Only went specific for clarity that not all are bad, and also wasn't referring to a 1/8th scale buggy I was looking at me 1/12th scale ofnas when I said that stuff, and the buggy I did refer to was 10th scale

I only said anything is that one of the first thing newbies break on their traxxas trucks is the shock tower, via abuse, and the first thing they do is look to replace it with an alloy part - thinking it unbreakable. Last I checked nobody was making milled T-6 or stronger alloy towers for traxxas cars and trucks.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Pacrat77J

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

For these Traxxas vehicles you'd better look more at RPM parts. I have a couple pieces and it helps the truck last longer. You don't need to replace everything, just replace a broken part with a new RPM part whenever you break something.

Good advice, thanks guys. This is thestuff that can definately save me time and $$$. i like the aluminum c-hubs and knuckles so may go with those when i need em. Any parts that need to be replaced now with tougher components to keep from breaking one part that bends/breaks a mess of other ones?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Eman77

Welcome to the hobby/obsession.

If you can help it, I say just wait for stuff to break, and then get upgrades. It's easy to get carried away and spend a fortune up front on upgrades.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM
peropett

These things ARE all kinds of fun, aren't they?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Pacrat77J

Well, the bug got me again and I ordered new tires and wheels for both trucks.  Proline Caliber for the Slash and Trenchers for the Pede.  Will post pics when they come in.  Got a good lipo charger too.  The 6 hour wall charger was about to make me hurt kittens.  Got a Hitec X1 6A, 50w charger.  The price was doable and will suit my needs (for now).

Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Badlands are nice on the pede also. I'd like new tires for my converted rustler. (that was fun) nitro 2.5 to brushless lipo... stampede/rpm hubs, axles,hexs (front end hex hub conversion) 4x4 hexs instead of bearings)

I also vote rpm instead of alum. Integy make a cheap cooling fan and bracket, other than that.. they have nothing for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM
daviomaron

I've got two Evaders and have laid out an off-road track out in the middle of the property.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: daviomaron

I've got two Evaders and have laid out an off-road track out in the middle of the property.
ORIGINAL: paropett

These things AREall kinds of fun, aren't they?
Are you guys makin' fun of me?

Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Pacrat77J

New mods to both trucks and thought i would share (mainly cuz most of my purchases are based on what i read here anyway).

Slash:
Body
GTR shocks
Roll bar - not real functional but good for some "what the hell is that?"
Caliber Tires
XeRun 4000kv motor and 120A ESC - fast!!

Stampede:
Rustler Body (hid the antenna too)
Velineon system from slash - mmuucchh better
Trenchers

NEW TOY!!! Buddy gave me (yes, free) his Revo 3.3. Didnt run, so i am in the process of converting it to electric. Should be a monster. Any motor and general build suggestions will be greatly appreciated.