Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Intellipeak charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 08:35 PM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intellipeak charger

OK i read the instructions twice now and still have the same question. It says toput the setting on a NiMH between 1 and 3. And NiCd between 3 and 6.5 . but then i here you put NiMH anywhere above 3. I was wondering what the answer is to charge a 3000 NiMH, 3300 NiMH, and a 24ooNiCd.

Thanks for all help,
jon
Old 09-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Intellipeak charger

I personally charge all of my batteries at 5 amps.

I have two pair of matched 3300 GP's and three 2400 NiCads. If you look at matched packs their charge rates are between 5 and 6 amps during the matching process.

Charging over 3 amps with NiMh's isn't a problem at all.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:23 AM
kevetz99

Wookie, that is absolutely correct! I charge all of my batteries at 5 amps also. It does no harm to the batteries. I also use the Duratrax Intellipeak Charger, only mine is the Deluxe Pulse Charger. I even know a guy that charges his batteries at 10 amps! So dont worry, you are fine!

Let me know if you have any questions,
kevetz99
Old 09-17-2003, 04:14 PM
mrjon53

Allright guys, on the charger i have the option to do slow (tricle) charge or fast peak charge. Is anyone better for the battery or are the just a matter of how much time you want to spend charging them?
Old 09-18-2003, 07:46 AM
caddbitch

You want the fast charge, usually the only application, at least from my experiences, for slow charge is for your radio and receiver packs, and model plane guys use it in there electric planes. On a side note about that charger i just got the digital intellipeak and all I can say is it rocks. I just got one and decided to try cycling my old 1500 packs that I thought were dead and after 2 cycles at 5 amps the capacity was almost 1500 again and so I dropped the pack into my Losi XXX and that thing actually lifted the front off the ground not far but enough to impress me. The packs are in tip top shape now and the run times are better then when they were new with my old peek charger. Thumbs up to Duratrack on this charger.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Wookie

You want to fast charge NiMh's and discharge at the same rate as much as possible. NiMh's don't have a memory as far as total capacity but they do tend to remember how they are charged and discharged. You should shy away from trickle charging NiMh's.

If you don't have an equalizing tray you can trickle NiCad's every now and then which will help balance the cells out better than constant fast charging.

For the most part though a 5 amp charge is a good general average for punch and run time. If you are racing stock class you might charge closer to 6.5 or even 7 amps for a little extra punch. Modified in the 5 to 6 amp range. I've heard of guys charging at up to 10 amps for stock oval racing.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:33 AM
r2drift2

hey guys, i just bought the duratrax intellipeak pulse charger for my micro. i like it very much but i have a question. since i have a micro and my bat. are only 1100 mah/6 cell. how many amps should i charge it on. im a complete newbie on electric rc, my lhs said to charge it on 1 or 1.2 amp. can someone tell me where the heck is 1.2 amps on the knob on that charger because the only numbers i see on it is 0.5 and 6.5. where is 1.2 amp on that knob? pls help! im so tired waiting like an hour and 45 min to reach peak charge on my bat. since im charging it on 0.5 amps all the time! [sm=biggrin.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Wookie

If you have the digital Intellipeak it should have a read out that will display mAh, amps and volts (chage to each one by moving a switch).

The knob that adjusts the amperage shows a range from .5 - 6.5 amps. The setting you are looking for is near the beginning of the dial. If you have the readout set the switch to amps and adjust it until it reads 1 - 1.2 during charging.