Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to RC, need some recs

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:48 AM
MeauxTrucks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC, need some recs

Hey guys, i'm new to the site and new to RC so i'm not familiar with any of the terms or let a lone anything about RC. My younger brother has some boats and a few cars and he is the one that got me hooked. After watching countless hours of youtube videos, i've decided that i want to get a RC 4x4 truck. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction. Is there anywhere i could read about the trucks and teach myself what a lot of the terms are? Also, when getting my first truck can i build from the ground up? Meaning, can i buy the engine then wait a while and buy a frame? This would work better on my budget. Just new to the hobby and need all the help i can get. I am 23 and love the outdoors and enjoy having hobbys like this for the weekends. Also, i love to work on things as i do all work on my truck and computers and so on. So, i would do all the maintenance to my RC.

Again anything helps! Thanks guys.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM
MeauxTrucks

Nobody has any help? Or at least point me in the right direction.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

umm pick a truck style first, pick a propulsion method (electric(brushed, or brushless), or nitro), decide on what kind of terrain you want it to tackle, and set a budget. Without those things its kinda hard to recommend anything

As for building from the ground up those are generally kits. Unfortunately there are fewer of them now then before, and they can be quite pricey. Tamiya kits are probably the most reasonable as theres quite a few under $150.

Also read this link there are some links to other posts its a sticky on the general forum. One of the posts it links to has a list of terms defined.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...ead-first.html
Old 11-07-2013, 06:57 PM
MeauxTrucks

Thanks a lot man. That helped a lot. From the little research I have done I think I want to go with an electric brushless? Also, I want it to tackle some muddy terrain with some dirt tracks. Definitely want it to be 4x4 as I want to make an old ford bronco body style or an old ford pick up. Feel free to make some suggestions from there. I'm going to do my homework on the links you posted. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:08 PM
MeauxTrucks

Okay, read the first few guides. I will definitely be bashing and like I said in a muddy/dirt terrain with holes and rough area. I can work on my RC and if need be I can take it to a hobby store. Also, as far as size I'm not sure. Up to any suggestions. I like the way the 1/10 looks, I feel there big but not overly big. As far as budget I wouldn't like to go over $300 but was thinking if I got a kit I could add on. For example what does the kit for $150 include and what would I need to get?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

only thing I can think that they make a bronco body for is a savage flux, but that is not suitable for track use, or mud.

Maybe a Stampede 4X4 (dunno bodies available).. I have one its a somewhat decent RC, just overpriced IMO for what it is(but most traxxas stuff is overpriced compared to the other brands). But it is a versatile platform, and with some cheap mods can do most what you want. Like for track just take the pre-load spacers out of the shocks, and change the tires, and it can function as a stadium truck (or get the center differential, and make it a 1/10th scale truggy)

Again though those are kinda pricey RTR's. Building em from rollers off ebay tends to run more then the RC them self

The only F150 I know if is the Tamiya TT01e SVT f150 Lightning, but that is an on-road kit
Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 PM
MeauxTrucks

Yeah, i mean it doesn't have to be a ford bronco body style. But, something a long those lines just an older model truck. I like the actual truck builds not the truggy/buggy thingys. Haha.

For example, i like the ones that are in this video and would want to do stuff like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hWUuATJWCo What are those in the video? Also, stadium truck? And yeah that is what i'm after something i can modify myself.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

One of those is a SCX10 honcho
I have one I made waterproof. Out of the box they aren't
Right now Avial sells the SCX10 as a kit with a Dingo body($250 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBVMJ&P=ML), and made the honcho a RTR (ready to Run)http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWEP&P=ML
They also have a jeep rubicon it for $290 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDAJP&P=ML

Others look like SCX's AX10's or maybe wraith They are mostly similar by the same company I think they are all SCX10's with diff bumpers slapped on in all honesty(also some have aftermarket parts)
Wraith Kit http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBPDB&P=ML RTR http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDFXT&P=ML
AX10 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCBLS&P=ML RTR only

If you want to do things like in that video I'd recommend brushed as it can go slower easier. Brushless is kinda for speed only as most (unless you get sensored, but that ads a quite a bit of cost)

Pics of mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild0911.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	1937587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild0913.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1937588  

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 11-07-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 PM
MeauxTrucks

Ahh looks cool man. Yeah, I want something like that. So, are the ones in the video brushed? Like are those models you mentioned brushed or can you go from brushed and brushless? I think my best bet is buying a used one and learning the ropes like that. Then I can upgrade as I go.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

used...
umm how to say you can sometimes find good deals, but most times they want more then the kit itself. I was looking a few weeks ago to pick up a 2nd, and almost spit my drink on my monitor for the ludicrous prices some people wanted(more then new), for their bone stock RC's that looked like someone beat them up with a baseball bat.
Also you can sometimes get some really railroaded RC's. Like I've bought used quite often sometimes I get a deal (rare) other times I had to put more into the RC getting it to run, and hold together then buying it brand new. Also in these types of vehicles people like to customize em to fit their driving style to a glove, and most time other people wouldn't like it.

As if they are brushed IMO more then likely yes as brushed motors can run submerged in water, Brushless on the other hand kinda fry for the most part. I'll be honest I've never tried brushless in mine as its meant to be a scaler/crawler, and not fly around going 50-80 mph In actuality I built mine to do things like that just never got a chance to try doin stuff like that though.

What I have in mine
Traxxas XL-5 ESC, Flysky radio, Traxxas 2075 waterproof servo(not the greatest but got it cheap), Traxxas waterproof radio box off a stampede 4X4(I think it was), and a HPI Saturn 27t motor.
Electronics alone as you don't have any lying around (I literally had everything laying around) would be around and additional $80-90

This doesn't count my LED setup as I have LED's wired to the 3rd channel through a remote controlled switch (that was like $10 total though, and is 100% optional)
I also have a RPM light bar on it for I think a 1/16th scale slash as I liked how the light buckets looked on it.

As you said you got a younger brother into it he might have some of the stuff laying around unused that you could snag

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 11-07-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM
MeauxTrucks

Okay, so i should go brushed if i want to ride it through a muddy terrain? Where should i start shopping if i want a used one? Also, what kind should i get if i want to buy used but still the ability to upgrade it and customize it the way i want to.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ebay. Issue is hoping the seller is truthful

I've bought some rigs that honestly if I knew the TRUE condition of I would never have bid a quarter of what I did they needed so much work. The pictures they had though made it look in pristine shape, the one I got honestly if there wasn't a scratch shown in the picture that was also on the chassis(it was a pretty deep one) I would have thought it was pics of a completely different RC.
I've had one Runs great motor was toasted, and plastics were so brittle (guessing it was stored in a shed) within 5 runs I had to replace 95% of the RC...

out of 7 or so RC's I've bought on ebay I'd say 2-3 were in decent shape, and those didn't have any description saying runs great, or near mint in it (those are almost always lemons). Funny thing is both were savages too
Those kind of things are why I do not recommend used RC's to new ppl cause its no fun getting something put together terribly and needs more money to repair then you could buy it new.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 11-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:40 PM
MeauxTrucks

I gotcha. Well, i've decided i want an Axial scx10. I know new the will run me about $300-$370. Only thing is my budget needs to be somewhere around $200. Is there another company that sells something very similar to the Axial scx10? Any other sites sell used RC's besides Ebay?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

HPI wheely king just its more set up as a MT
You can later convert it to more scx10 like. Actually a lot of people use the axles for scalers, and there are kits to change it around.
I have one its an alright truck the tires are quite large though (it is supposed to be a MT), but I slapped another axle on mine to make it a 6wd RC
Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 PM
jeffsend
My Feedback: (4)

I'm more of an airplane guy,but I've got a Stampede 4x4 and an SCX10. The Pede is brushless and "waterproof". I use quotes because running any rc in water and mud increases the risk of premature wear. And even if the electronics can survive,the screws can still rust and foams in the tires can deteriorate. The Pede is fast and powerful,but can break parts easily due to that power.

The SCX10 is a good choice for a scale-like truck,but it is not meant for going fast at all. Brushed motors are used because they are cheaper and tend to run smoother at low rpms than brushless. Brushed motors can run submerged in water,but if enough dirt gets in them it can still cause problems. I got the ready to run from Tower when they had a sale,and I've been very pleased with it's performance and have yet to break any parts. It is the most fun when you've got a good variety of challenging terrain to run it on. It's good at climbing rocks and hills. There are tutorials on youtube for waterproofing,but keep in mind this will most likely void any warranty,and there's always a chance it will fail. I waterproofed mine with Plasti-Dip and so far so good. I don't run it in extreme conditions often though because it requires cleaning and extra maintenance.

As for getting something customizable,I am not aware of anything cheaper that compares to the SCX10 for aftermarket parts and accessories. But that stuff gets really expensive anyway unless you can fabricate your own. Also,the SCX10 does not include a charger and batteries,so you'll have that to add to your expense as well.

As for places to buy used,most of the rc forums including this one have a classifieds section. I personally think a ready to run SCX10 is a great way to get started having fun. But a kit can be good if you are really wanting to build,or wanting different components than the rtr. The kit will likely add up to more money by the time it's all together though.

A good place to start,is google. There's alot of information out there specific to this truck. You'll need to do some reading on batteries,especially if you choose to go with lipo,as they require special care to avoid risk of fire.

Last edited by jeffsend; 11-08-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:24 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HSP and Redcat make some 1/10 crawlers that would be in ur budget, only thing is the body's might not be to ur liking. Bbut it could be easily replaced with a Proline bronco body....

just keep in mind any truck u get, u will have to waterproof the electronics and the chassis/wheels
Old 11-08-2013, 06:47 PM
MeauxTrucks

Phmaximus you mind linking me some of the other brand crawlers your talking about? Do they have a wide choice of upgrades? Can i always put a smaller wheel on it? I don't like the monster truck look i want the more off road truck look. That is why i really enjoy the axial.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 PM
MeauxTrucks

Okay, so i did my homework over the weekend and think i found what i want. This is it... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?Q=1&I=LXBVMJ This is the best deal for me because i am a broke college kid and can save up for each payment i have to make on it. So, in reality i only have to pay $84 on my first payment. With this being said i realize that this doesn't include everything i need. I saw the list of things not included on the towerhobbies site. What am i looking at money wise with the things i need that aren't included in the kit. Also, what tools will i need? Will there be any sauntering? That is the only thing i don't have and have never done. Again any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I am going to start watching a ton of build videos on the scx10.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

uses metric allen keys for assembly, and could use either dremel, or scizors for cutting the body out, a paint brush (or spraygun), and some paint(lexan parma faskolors what I use it can be brushed on too)

You need a radio can get a flysky 2.4ghz radio for $20ish http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...-gt2.html(they are higher then most but have it in stock)

A ESC (blue XL-5 or something else if you feel like waterproofing it can be found on ebay for $20-35)

Brushed motor (27t's are $10-15 on ebay)

Servo (if goin waterproof Traxxas 2075's last I looked were $15-20 on ebay, but there are other waterproof servos now)

and if you truly want it waterproof you need a traxxas waterproof radio box which is a few bucks

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 11-10-2013 at 02:45 PM.