Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

my eBay cart.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:21 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my eBay cart.

Ive got a Robinson 48p pinion set 15-25 but there's only 5 so its like 15 17 19 20 25 I think.a savox sa1230 monster torque servo and a tekin redline gen2 10.5t sensored motor.
My goal is to make it like an F-off rig
The spectrum servo isn't quite strong enough and I need pinions and I want a new motor lol. I still need an ESC for the tamiya f-1.

I was thinking of the mamba monster 2 but I can't find the motor limit so I was leaning to getting another MMP. The guy at my lhs said get a taking rs gen2 but I want to stick with castle since I just week through a week of BS with castle link so I don't want to mess with hotwire if I get tekin.
Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Concerns???
Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOO! Don't get Tekin. Its all overpriced junk that goes up in flames. Heck, Hobbyking ESCs are much better!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:03 PM
zackS30

Even the motors??
I wasn't necessarily dead set on tekin. I just want a more powerful motor capable of 3s but will mostly see 2s and sensored also 4pole the yeah racing is 3pole.
I'm looking for more speed and torque.
Please steer me towards a better motor that's under 100$ that fits my wants. *thumbs up*
Old 12-31-2014, 03:55 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't understand what RC you need a ESC/motor for. Make what like a F-off rig?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:26 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Never a Tekin motor or ESC. I have seen 10+ blow up; never seen a Hobbyking ESC blow up or break.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:59 PM
zackS30

Tamiya f-1 needs an ESC the wraith I want to make it like an f-off rig(formula off road).
I not heard anything bad about tekin I've heard bad things about hobby king however.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:03 AM
RustyUs

I don't know how low budget you want to go, but I have used a Hobbywing EZRun 35amp ESC with one of their 9T sensorless motors in my stadium truck for the past couple of years... love it. I get most of my stuff off of eBay and put in ridiculously low bids. Most of the time I don't win unless I'm in need of something right away, then I bid accordingly. My Hobbywing ESC was somewhere between $5~16$ winning bid. The specs say it (35amp & 60amp EZRun versions) will handle 3S LiPos. The ESCs come with a fan, but my 35amp barely gets warm in the summer sun when running my ST around.

There are so many choices out there in www land, you can sure get information overload after awhile looking at stuff.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:11 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by zackS30
I'm looking for more speed and torque.
Please steer me towards a better motor that's under 100$ that fits my wants. *thumbs up*
Will a 550 size motor fit in the Wraith?

Turnigy TrackStar SCT 5.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 3750KV
It will handle a 3S pack. I was in another forum reading about TrackStar success stories. Everyone seems to like the brand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	24428.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	2059501  

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-01-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 PM
DieHarder

I've never had a Tekin ESC, however I can say this. Their Gen2 Redline Sensored motors are bulletproof. I put one in my plow truck two years ago. I've gotten it soaking wet in melting snow, full throttle under heavy load, etc and it's never failed. I just plowed some snow today with it and it still works like the day I got it. I love the quality, color, design (other than the vent holes, they are subject to water damage through those. However I've stuffed snow in there and it had no effect on performance.), and look. I really recommend the Gen2 Redline motors, just get it on sale if you do. I got mine 10% off on black Friday ($110=$100).
Old 01-01-2015, 08:48 PM
zackS30

The gen2 is what I was looking at.

Rusty, trust me I know what ur saying. I've been looking at motors for a week now and its overwhelming for sure.

I'm wanting::: brushless, sensored, 3200-3800kv range, 4pole, 3mm shaft(I can go 5mm if needed no big deal), capable of 3s, 540 can size(550 will fit with some modding which I'd like to stay away from BUT again no big deal).

The ESC I have to work with is an MMP.(castle mamba max pro)

Not too worried about price ATM just preferably under 100$ or as close to as possible.
Castle doesn't seem to like sensored too well, a lot of the other motors seem cheesy. The only ones I've heard of and would consider would be castle, tekin, hobbywing, yeah racing.

Thanks for any and all input.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 PM
DieHarder

Don't try any of the Speed Passion products though, I blew up the sensor boards in two of them just testing it out after installation.

This is the same motor I got: http://www.amain.com/tekin-redline-g...r-135t/p237606 It's awesome! I do not know if it takes 3S or not though. I tried finding some info on that with no luck.

LRP (Losi Racing Products) has some nice motors, the Vector series seem ok, but I have no personal experiences to back them up. They are reasonably priced (somewhat). Here is a motor within your KV range: http://www.amain.com/lrp-vector-x20-...r-105t/p254446

There are some other good ones such as what HobbyWing makes, like you said.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:28 PM
zackS30

I ordered the tekin gen2 10.5, Novak motor wires ( ESC/motor), Robinson 17t, axial 87t, and 2 tubes of 60/40 solder wire. Spent 120$
Igot the motor and wires today the rest should be here tomorrow.
I have it geared 16/80 I'll see how I like that and put the 17t on if I decide I want that extra .5mph lol. And the 87 spur if heat goes too high.
Got the motor all wired up and installed and did a test forward and reverse for 5 seconds each and all seems well. I'll be taking it out tomorrow and giving it a bash.
So far of seems like I'm lucky I already have Robinson racing tranny gears cuz that thing screamed like a 12yr old boy at Michel Jacksons birthday party!!
I do however for see a striped wheel hex... when I pinned the throttle the truck gave a little jerk
I shall report back about the motor tomorrow. My 2s is in storage mode so I don't want to take it out right this second.

Thanks to those that helped!

Now all I need is the track power solder station and I think I'm good!
Well besides a few items for my exo. Like hot racing diff and 54t spur and there was something else but I for got.... oh strc front shock tower... I shattered the plastic one in a fight with a curb. F*cking flysky receiver shorted or something and it went full throttle to the curb(yes I had fail safe sent for full brake, idk what happen)
Old 01-08-2015, 04:14 PM
zackS30

Well I took it out and man its got power pulls wheelies on concrete and throws rocks like a 1:1
However my run was short lived..... damn plastic servo horn gave out like 5 minutes later. :/ oh well I got a hanger 9 aluminum horn from my lhs all I got to do is mod it so it will clear my diff cover and I'm good.
Geared 16/80(for now) on 2s.
I'd like to get a small 3s pack and see how it does maybe a 3000mah, not sure. My current 3s won't fit in my wraith no matter where I put it :/ so I need a 3s pack that's small