Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Advice on brushed ESC for Super Blackfoot

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:01 AM
Guff15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on brushed ESC for Super Blackfoot

Hey gang, now that I've dove back into RC head first with 2 1/8 scale nitro buggies I want to get my old electric ones running again. The first I'd like to resurrect is my 25+yr old Tamiya Super Blackfoot. Everything is stock on it except for the motor which is a Kyosho LeMans 240ST (still have the stock 540 can though). I'm looking to convert the MSC to an ESC but need some advice on which one to get that WON'T break the bank. As of now I plan on running NiMh batteries in it but may upgrade to LiPo's in the near future if my interest holds.

Sooo, what brushed ESC would you recommend that would be a good value? I'm 99% sure that I will never go to a brushless setup as I wouldn't want to push the old plastic gear box in the truck.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:29 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

An XL5 is always a good brushed ESC to go with. And you're also going to need some batteries to go with it, I assume.

ESC; http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas-...sc-lvd-id.html
Battery I suggest for that vehicle; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...or-tamiya-cars
Old 05-06-2015, 06:14 PM
DieHarder

I think you should go brushless, but use a gear reduction unit (GRU). Makes for a very powerful setup. But that's just my opinion...
Old 05-07-2015, 10:39 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by collector1231
An XL5 is always a good brushed ESC to go with. And you're also going to need some batteries to go with it, I assume.

ESC; http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas-...sc-lvd-id.html
Battery I suggest for that vehicle; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...or-tamiya-cars
agree
that is pretty damn cheap for the XL-5 last I saw em they were $35 used
Old 05-07-2015, 11:07 PM
schhiqiul

I think you should go brushless
Old 05-08-2015, 02:46 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Guff15
I'm 99% sure that I will never go to a brushless setup as I wouldn't want to push the old plastic gear box in the truck.

Thanks!
Going brushless doesn't mean someone automatically putting gobs of power into a RC vehicle. The ease of maintenance, and not having to worry about replacing brushes is the big bonus! A mild brushless 17.5T motor could fit your situation.

Use up what brushes you have (you want some?....I still have a bag of them) and then look into getting a brushless set-up. Once you go brushless...you won't go back.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:52 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Going brushless doesn't mean someone automatically putting gobs of power into a RC vehicle. The ease of maintenance, and not having to worry about replacing brushes is the big bonus! A mild brushless 17.5T motor could fit your situation.

Use up what brushes you have (you want some?....I still have a bag of them) and then look into getting a brushless set-up. Once you go brushless...you won't go back.
not true as brushless has its application, and brushed motors have their application.
I have prolly 13 brushless vehicles (I don't feel like counting), and still have 2 brushed as brushed suits the application better.

Also as its an extremely old chassis(hell it has a MSC in it still) the increase in torque could crack the chassis. It might not be faster, but brushless have a crapton more torque, and its not a smooth application as its pretty much instant on once you hit the throttle so far(unless you have a sensored motor).
Old 05-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Guff15

I appreciate the replies gang! This truck was the 2nd RC that I ever owned and don't want to push the envelope with a brushless setup (my first was the original Blackfoot). If I ever upgrade one of my old trucks to brushless it will be the Clod as its built a little more rugged and is not as old, maybe 15yrs.

Would this ESC be any good for what I want?........

http://www.helipal.com/quicrun-60a-b...FdAXHwodoiUAxg
Old 05-08-2015, 08:44 AM
DieHarder

I agree on there being applications for brushed motors. I love my Holmes Hobbies 35T in my SCX10 way more than the Tekin Gen2 13.5T sensored. The brushed is just SO precise. Can't really top it, brushed is just like the ultimate precision even over sensored systems.

With a sensored motor and gru, you could easily achieve the correct speed and a motor that will never exceed 100F with unlimited power to the drivetrain. How you drive it will determine the fate of the drivetrain/chassis.
Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
not true as brushless has its application, and brushed motors have their application.
I have prolly 13 brushless vehicles (I don't feel like counting), and still have 2 brushed as brushed suits the application better.

Also as its an extremely old chassis(hell it has a MSC in it still) the increase in torque could crack the chassis. It might not be faster, but brushless have a crapton more torque, and its not a smooth application as its pretty much instant on once you hit the throttle so far(unless you have a sensored motor).
Old 05-08-2015, 01:33 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Long nights preparing for a race; truing comms on the lathe, and buying the latest/greatest brushes that guarantee top speed/torque every week...I don't miss it