Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

UNKNOWN SHORT COURSE TRUCK, Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:13 AM
colosus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNKNOWN SHORT COURSE TRUCK, Help Please

Hi Guys
Been a while for me... but need your help

Just bought from ebay... what was listed as Team Associated SC10 4x4 parts 60% chassis... but silly me I never checked before buying it...

It does not seem to be any type of the regular models on the market...
I checked out the chassis, i cant find a chassis the same... Ofna is close but no good..
The Suspension arms had me going too.... what short course truck has upper arms !!
Its also 4x4 shaft driven... with a mid mounted motor.... still cant work out if its electric or nitro... although if nitro i'm sure its metal chassis... not plastic...

Please check photos... i will post more when the parts arrive..
I was hoping it was SC10 4x4... but i know its not... looks like spare box parts now or even trash can... damn..

Cheers, any help would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sc10 parts 1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	2122940   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc10 parts 2.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	2122941   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc10 parts 3.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	2122942   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc10 parts 4.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	2122943   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc10 parts 5.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	2122944  
Old 10-01-2015, 08:41 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think it was uncommon for SCTs to have upper suspension arms on the front. Those upper arms and the pillow ball front suspension does look like an OFNA design, but the chassis is definitely not OFNA. I have an OFNA/HoBao Hyper 10SC and the chassis is a lot longer than yours. It looks like an electric truck, based on the looks of the motor mount. But the other parts throw me. Can't ID the kit. Sorry.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:54 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Colt Thunder SC Truck
Old 10-01-2015, 10:59 PM
colosus

Thanks EXT2Rob for trying....

And Thanks To RustyUs..... you found it.. spot on m8 thanks..... Wow... great stuff... now i know what it is but what to do with it.... is it a know truck in Us
Or is it a toy for China ?
I found some pics from ebay.com... truck sold for $11 .... so i lost £25 on junk... i think i will make a spares box and start my hunt again for a proper truck
Is this worth fixing, its 4x4 !! >>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	colt thunder.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	2123135   Click image for larger version

Name:	colt thunder 2.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2123136   Click image for larger version

Name:	colt thunder 3.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2123137   Click image for larger version

Name:	colt thunder 4.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2123138  
Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Rusty, how'd you ID it?

Colosus, I found this forum page that has some info on it. Looks like they're made/sold by Mtronics in the UK. There are some links in that forum post, so you may be able to find spare parts.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1898748

I would forgo the OEM electronics tho, in favor of a brushless setup. I suggest something with a 550-sized motor in the 4000kv range. A HobbyWing SC8, a Castle SCT, or if ya wanna keep it budget (sort of, $120) a Toro. You can pick up a FlySky GT2 radio system for $20.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:50 PM
colosus

Thanks EXT2Rob

I have no idea how he solved that so quick.... all i found was one photo in google pointing to ebay.com ... then while waiting for u guys to reply i found the exact website u just posted here...

Now i go either way... either i send it back and get full refund £25 or i keep it, but i cant see its really worth it... if i come to sell it later... it will be worth £25

u see i was going to get some nice hardware for a Team Associated SC10 4x4 !!!
Was looking at Reedy Sonic Mach 2 (7.5t) Brushless
and Blackbox 410r Competition
But for this Colt Truck i dont know what to do,, it does look a bit toyish if u look at the plastic... i might not even open the package when it arrives tomorrow...and send it straight back... or i might consider your option on budget
Oh well u live and learn... must be pushing 28 years that i been an RC enthusiast and never have i bought an item marked up as something else..
I have an old Mugen Super Sport In restoration progress too ... now this has messed my plans i might spend it on the Mugen and forget the truck...

Last edited by colosus; 10-03-2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-04-2015, 10:59 AM
RustyUs

Believe me, before settling on a Yeti kit, I've looked at a lot of 4wd 1/10 & 1/8 scale everything when looking for my next ride. The Colt struck my eye, 'cause of the "truggy-like" driveline/suspention, and colors. I'm a sucker for Red; White, and Blue. Even though I'm not totally sold on the Qualifier Series yet, if it had Associated's name on it; better linkage, and better shocks, I would probably have it in my stable...I does look a bit "cheap". I'm sorry to say the whole brushed motor and the conntectors on the Colt's SC are a no no nowadays for me.

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-04-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:19 AM
colosus

Yea, i would love to have the Yeit... but the XL version... just waiting to see if they do a nitro conversion... cos then i can chop and change at will..
I been studying these Colt photos and made my mind up to send it back... so i wont even open the package...
Better use the £25 on something better, i don't want to make the truck into something else by adding hopups from other Trucks... i think even Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk is better than this... but i had a Team Associated 2x4 Truck before so i know about its quality and .. even hopping up with Just Big bores and Titanium Turn Buckles makes it a Super Machine..

Thanks guys, great job...
got another question for another Vehicle ... please check it out.. Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 05:36 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by colosus
I been studying these Colt photos and made my mind up to send it back... so i wont even open the package...
Probably best that you do that. I saw the infamous "no returns accepted" in the "team associated Sc10 4x4" listing. If the seller gives you a hard time, you have a good case of "item is not as described" on your side. I don't see how someone could make the claim of the Colt Thunder SC being a Team Associated SC 4x4!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:37 AM
colosus

He sent me a full refund .. good chap...
He said the guy who sold him another truck had these pieces thrown in and was told its Team Associated parts..
So he was not so to blame... and fell for the misbranded parts...
hmm now what to buy... lol
Old 10-05-2015, 09:20 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by colosus
He sent me a full refund ...hmm now what to buy... lol
LMFAO Glad to hear the seller "stepped up to the plate". And now back to colosus' regularly scheduled program...Now, what to buy?!

I got one more itch to take care of...a 1/8 scale buggy itch, and then I'm done buying RC cars (that's what I told the wife anyway).

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-05-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM
colosus

Hehe yea i seem to have that itch all the time... got about 4 restorations in progress that never seem to get finished...
An SCX Honcho, Kyosho Evolva 2003 Champion Edition, Mugen Super Sport, and Mini Cat Jolly Motor... spread over long periods of time building just never stops..
I just cant seem to finish one of them...