Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need truck kit suggestion for my 11yo son.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:18 AM
alambert0008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need truck kit suggestion for my 11yo son.

Hey guys,

Its been about 10 years since I've done any RC. Back then you could buy a Traxxas Stamped as a kit for $99 or a Tamiya for $50+. I'd like to get my son his first RC truck. I have a few 'requirements' Please keep in mind its been a while so I'm sure the tech has changed.

Requirements.
1) Must be a kit not RTR or ART. I want him to have the joy of building his car.
2) really needs to be something that can handle grass well. Stamped back in the day had about a 3inch tire... his would be perfect.
3) Cheap - If he likes it then we can get something nicer. So 'upgrades' for now... don't really matter. I'm happy with bushings, spring shocks etc.
4) I do prefer ESC over mechanical speed control and don't mind upgrading that
5) I don't mind off brand for a first car.
6) Doesnt have to be a super fast car.

Also need a radio
low end is fine. If it was 10 years ago I would have picked up a hitech.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:42 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy! I can't help much on the truck, but I can recommend a good reliable cheap radio to get him going: Flysky GT2
Only $20. Or, if you want to get a little fancier for not much $ the GT3B has end-point adjust, exponentials, ten car memory and more. Both come with a receiver, and both radios work great with 8 rechargeable AAs. I'd also recommend this charger, it's affordable, quiet and charges anything. HobbyPartz's Gens Ace hardcase LiPo batteries are a good value at $39. Way cheaper than anything you'll find at the hobby store. Just know that with Lipo packs - 1) You MUST use a LiPo charger set to LiPo charge. Using a NiCd/NiMh charger, or setting, can damage the pack or even start a fire. 2) Never leave a LiPo pack fully charged or discharged for long. ALWAYS use the Storage function on the charger to charge/discharge the pack to half-charge when done playing.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

The only kits these days are racing vehicles (expensive) and Tamiya vehicles. I don't know of any vehicles that still come with a mechanical speed control and most Tamiya's come with a 540 brushed motor and esc requiring a servo, radio, battery and charger. EXTRob gave you some good options on all of that stuff. The one thing I would upgrade is replacing bushings with bearings. You'll increase runtime and gain a little speed.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:00 AM
EXT2Rob

If you really need something to run on grass (which most 10th-scale 2wd trucks do NOT like at all) AND you want to build it, you might go over to RC4WD. They specialize in "scale and trail" rigs, and the parts to make them.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:51 PM
EXT2Rob

It just occurred to me: An Axial Wraith kit. Or even a Yeti. Both are popular, capable, durable, and tons of after market support. Check out this month's RC Car Action magazine. They take a Yeti, swap a few parts, mainly to get the wheel base right, add some aluminum bits here an there, then top it off with a short course truck body, cut out in back to expose the cool Yeti roll cage, pop on a couple spare tires, and voila! a *****in' IFS/Solid Rear axle Trophy Truck!
Old 10-19-2015, 02:52 AM
Carabidae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to recommend the Traxxas Latrax SST, with a brushless conversion, But you are looking for a kit. I got it for my son and its just perfect for him. a 4wd, tolerates the beating, and works perfectly after the conversion. not much aftermarket parts, also its a 1/18.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:50 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I cringe at some of the stuff that I see used and for sale on eBay, but maybe buying a used Stampede would be an option. Getting a used RC and tearing it apart to be cleaned up... then put it back together. I don't recommend it for people just getting into the hobby, but the option is out there. A lot of times, one has to weed through a lot of crap to get to find that one RC that won't be a money pit.