Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Good budget 550 motor and 80 amp esc

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good budget 550 motor and 80 amp esc

Ive searched the internet high and low for a good system to replace the stocker tazer brushless system in my ruckus 4x4, and have found some good motors for very reasonable prices, but im still torn on the esc's. Some are good priced, but ive never had experience with them. I know a lot of them are just rebranded hobbywings, but id still like some input. Anybody use fvt? ive found those for good price's. Any suggestions?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:54 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FVT? Never heard of them. But then, I'd never heard of X-Car or Brushless Hobbies either. Those ESCs came on a couple cars I bought used. Still using them. The difference between the cheap ESCs and more mainstream ones probably comes down to programming, how well the ESC does what it does. Some have better start-up routines than others. A brushless ESC with no sensor circuit has to determine the rotor's position by electrical feedback. It can only do this when the rotor is in motion. Most ESCs have a start-up routine that gets the rotor moving enough so that it can determine its position, then once it's moving, it switches over to "run mode". How well an ESC does this determines how smooth that start up is, and some do it better than others. Then, there are the programmable features of the ESC. Most features are the same, model to model, but some have other features. Which one to get? I don't really think it matters that much. Just pick one that has the best specs to fit the motor. You can never go wrong with Hobbywing.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the spektrum of well know esc's and a couple unwell know. I ordered a hobbypower 550 3500kv from rcjuice for 30 bucks, and have read nothin but good things about em. Some say there more powerful that the castle sct motors. The specs say 1200 watts, and thats pretty darn good for a 550. As far as the esc goes, i think ima get an orion 130 amp that comes on the gt2 and some other models, its the exact same things as the hobbywing pro 120 sct for 20 bucks less on ebay, even uses hobbywing cards and programming, cuz ive had one in the past.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:23 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There ya go! Those Hobbywing cards are great, aren't they? They work on my cheapo ESCs too.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:14 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

HobbyWing EZRun WP-SC8...simple and they work.